main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    Psst....Lucasfilm was a.... *gasp....corporation, even when Lucas owned it.

JJ said the movie was done as well. Cuz, well, it should be by now whether it was a starving indy's film or corp....I won't say the word, owned film.

Honestly, it's getting to the point that if JJ said he didn't like pears, people would take it as a swipe at the floating fruit scene in AOTC.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    "What last drops of negativity can I wring out of this next bit of promo material?"

I'm undecided as to whether this is a SW forum or a support group.

3. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Really? As opposed to the TFA forums that are so open and welcoming to all opinions that members gang up on those that might bring up legitimate concerns of TFA? Yup, so much better up there in your ivory tower, looking down on all us commoners isn't it...:rolleyes:

Hmmm, the filmmaker, ya know the guy making the movie owned the company, that he built from scratch. Using his own money, with no one to answer to if the movies failed but himself...Which allows for a certain amount of creative freedom.

"So I may lose a certain demographic - maybe, maybe not. But I had to make a decision, and I decided that I'm not going to alter the film to make it more commercial or marketable. I have to be true to my vision, which is 30 years old, but I have to be true to it." George Lucas

As opposed to a Disney, where a CEO has to answer to stock holders, and the best interest of the business comes first, because if it doesn't, stock prices fall, and the CEO loses his multi-million dollar a year job, something he doesn't want to happen....

It's OK though, keep telling yourself that they are one in the same...

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I have no problem posting this again.

5. DarthAhem

May 6, 2014

Hmmm, the filmmaker, ya know the guy making the movie owned the company, that he built from scratch. Using his own money, with no one to answer to if the movies failed but himself...

As opposed to a Disney, where a CEO has to answer to stock holders, and the best interest of the business comes first, because if it doesn't, stock prices fall, and the CEO loses his multi-million dollar a year job, something he doesn't want to happen....

It's OK though, keep telling yourself that they are one in the same...[/quote]

Right, and under either scenario.....the film would and should still be done by now. I own two corporations by the way....... Santa still visits my house.

6. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Congrats to you for owning two corporations. Let me ask you something, would you let an employee tell you how to run your corporation after you invested billions in something? Who has the final say in your corporation?

The fact is that whether the movie should be done by now or not, Abrams said what he said. he didn't say they needed to stop to make sure they could do x,y,z...

7. DarthAhem

May 6, 2014

Congrats to you for owning two corporations. Let me ask you something, would you let an employee tell you how to run your corporation after you invested billions in something? Who has the final say in your corporation?

The fact is that whether the movie should be done by now or not, Abrams said what he said. he didn't say they needed to stop to make sure they could do x,y,z...[/quote]

Certain employees have responsibilities delegated to them and I trust them, but you're missing my point. You can't assume the move is done because corporate bean counters dictated it based on the comments made. The movie is done because....it is done. Yay, bring on more Star Wars.

8. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    You know maybe it is partly a support group - all forums are, by discussing your concerns with like minded people you feel better - it's just a basic human need.

Getting either to unquestioningly excited by something (fanatical) or to upset (depressed or angry) are both pathologies, so it's good to have people around to talk about them.

What isn't much help at all is busting into AA meetings and shouting "guys - just stop - how hard can it be?!"

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Wait, was that an actual pear, or some other undisclosed fruit similar in appearance and native only to Naboo?

Guys ...let's not assume anything here.

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Honestly, from where I stand, most of the critiques here seem reactionary at best. "Fan fiction" is a lazy epithet that doesn't contribute to meaningful discussion. Claims that the title of the film is a hidden swipe at the PT are so insane that I don't even know where to begin. Using an offhand comment about the CEO giving a final lock date as some sort of evidence of far-reaching corporate mandates is paranoia taken to an extreme.

Look, here's an attempt at a valid critique of what we've seen so far: Jakku is almost a carbon copy of Tatooine. Why return to sand? It's a shorthand way to evoke visual parallels, but it can seem a bit heavy-handed.

"Corporate mandated fan fiction for haterz!!!1" is just the sound of overly-invested PT fans having a whinge because they aren't getting more of the same. Not everyone here is saying that, but the ones that are... Time to move on, fellas.

11. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I just want to clarify, I wasn't being sarcastic about you owning two corps! Nor cynical etc etc. I believe people that own their own businesses work hard, and deserve to be successful. So please don't thiink our differeing views on TFA was leading me to take a jab at your owning your own businesses...

With that said... :)

It is exactly corporate beancounters/execs that have had their hand in TFA from the start. They made the deal, which whether it could be profitable was part of the decision making process. Disney Execs decided to scrap Lucas's treatments out of fears that it may be to close to resembling TPM, which may have cut into the success of TFA, you know more money. Some Corporate execs are making marketing decisions, answering to other corporate execs. Corporate execs denied Abrams a 2016 release when it became clear the production was a mess. Corporate Execs set the deadlines for when the movie needs to be done. Iger, a corporate exec has stated many times he receives almost daily reports on TFA.

This is not Lucas owned LFL, where the filmmaker had a say in all the above. Yes there was a time when even Lucas had to finish tinkering with each one of his movies, but, it was still his call to make, not someone elses.

12. DarthAhem

May 6, 2014
    Thank you. I did not mean to imply I live on the good side of the tracks or am superior. I just don't believe "corporation" is a dirty word. :)

With that said.... :p

I believe JJ has complete control over more decisions than some here think, including what constitutes the final film. Iger's comment means nothing. He's stating a fact. The film is done. Also, even though we have a public company now; the stockholders, CEO, Producer, and Director all have the same interests as me. We all want a great Star Wars film. These people are not acting against me. That's just how I see it.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The only real problem I have with TFA is that so far the lightsaber fights look to be fanmade. IMO.

15. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Guys, let's try to be a little bit more optimistic here.

I can understand how some people and fans can feel burned by the promotion and the anti-PT campaign (very lately Simon Pegg's comments), and I'm among the ones who critiscize this campaign and this anti-PT rethoric, and I also have some doubts in my mind. Recently, I've also felt very conflicted about the new Star Wars movie. And Simon Pegg's comments were like overthrowing a bucket of cold water on me at the exact same moment when I've felt excited about the new movie.

But I say this: give the movie a try. A questionable promotional campaign and PT haters shouldn't destroy your love for the franchise. Be proud to love the prequels, as I, and judge the new movie after having watched it.

16. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    “There is no such thing as working over someone’s shoulder,” he says. “You’re either the dictator or you’re not. And to do that would never work, so I said ‘I’m going to get divorced.’ . . . I knew that I couldn’t be involved. All I’d do is make them miserable. I’d make myself miserable. It would probably ruin a vision — J.J. has a vision, and it’s his vision.”

Very sad to hear this from George
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...52067a-8b1f-11e5-be8b-1ae2e4f50f76_story.html

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It doesn't, but it makes me vote with my wallet. And I won't contribute with my money to a project done this way.

18. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Another one that wants to tell others to "move on" only to continue to engage in whining about how bad the PT was....

Another one that believes only what they approve of as a valid critique, is acceptable...

I'm so glad you are here to guide us poor miserable folk to your pre-approved promised land...

19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    What that basically says to me is that George has to be all in or all out. And that's fine. But this is about the only way SW will continue.

20. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Damn .

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Deliveranze like this.
  21. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I think that is a very well written article. Again, it establishes that Lucas had at the most, very little to do with TFA (if anything), and that the story is all Abrams. I'm sure that Abrams and Lucas talked about some of the mythology of Star Wars that Lucas set up in the previous 6 movies, at least I hope he would. but when it comes to the actual story for TFA, it is all Abrams.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    What a shame George was treated the way he has been. It's worse because he's still going to get negativity no matter what. Maybe in another 10 years they will get re evaluated. As curious as I am to know what the reviews will be for TFA, I know people have the same fears that every article is going to be an anti-prequel review to some degree.

23. DarthAhem

May 6, 2014
    That's one of the best articles I've seen about George in awhile. Thanks for sharing.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The reviews will just be an extension of the marketing campaign. I can already see the titles: "The real Star Wars is back", "As good as Empire", "This is the Star Wars you've been looking for", "Abrams saves Star Wars from Lucas", etc...

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I believe you're right, and I've been saying this for a while.

Edit: Except that last one, unless you count blogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.