main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN Active Members?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Layren, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Yeah it does look like rain. Maybe we can meet by the podracer as was earlier suggested :) WE can also play a few arcade games while we're there if anybody wants too :p Depending on the rain. Everybody PLEASE buckle up and drive SAFELY. WE want you all to make it in one piece for the meeting ;) Don't forget to bring your umbrella's!

2. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ok well obviously it is raining outside :p So we're meeting at Sir Gooney's first and then going to Aknar's. Maybe for our third meeting we can do mini golf. Btw the official announcement for our second meeting is up too! Today's the day ya'll!

3. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey guys I made it home alright :) We'll have bragging rights for years! How many other Fanforce groups can say their first official meeting was during a hurricane? :p

4. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    We got stuck in town--the rain/wind/roads were horrible, and with a 30 minute drive, we just didn't want to risk something bad happening! How'd it go? Who showed? I was so dissapointed that I didn't get to come! I'm sorry guys--but I WILL be there Monday, no doubt! I don't care if I have to paddle my way there! Did you guys have fun?

edit:
    BTW, my hubby just picked up THX 1138 today at WalMart--we are going to watch it in just a bit. Anyone else watch it yet? Any feedback?

5. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    I made it home ok as well. I actually stopped at Blockbuster on the way home and WalMart to get some batteries. By the time I got home, the power was back on!

We missed you, SarkaVrae, but it's ok. We'll see ya Monday. We had 6 people there from 4 different households, so... one "official" meeting succesfully accomplished. Who was there? Layren and her husband, Southernjedi, obivolkenobi and his wife, and me. We went to Sir Goony's only to find that it was closed (although the Haunted Carnival people were having a meeting there). We camped on their doorstep until everyone we thought might be there showed up. We then went across the parking lot to Ankar's and had some (imo) great tasting sandwiches. I've never been, but it was really good. One of the workers took our picture (which I'll e-mail to everyone tomorrow). Anyway, we had a great "get-to-know-you" meeting. Lots of ideas for future meetings. Despite (or rather in spite of) all the mess outside, I think the fact that we pulled off our first meeting during the hurracane was a good sign. Maybe that sign says "crazy", but we did it nonetheless. Anyway, Monday should be a little better in terms of weather and this will be a great time to at least let others know we're out there.

6. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    LOL
    Indeed, who else can claim to have met during a hurricane?

It was fun. I can't wait till Monday!

Should we be thinking about when/where to do the third meeting, or is it too early? I thought if we can get some interested people Monday, it might help to have a meeting planned out.

7. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Good idea, Southern. Any ideas, anyone? I'm booked on the weekends until mid-october and then again for Halloween, but Mondays, Thursdays, & Fridays can work (as long as I'm not out of town for the weekend).

BTW, everyone--I got a job! It pays better than mine did in AL, so it's all good! Anyway, that's why weekends will be harder for me--we have to do all our family visits Friday/Saturdays. And I'll be working downtown, so any future meetings we have should be easier for me to get to! :)

All that to say....Thursday Sept 30th is good, Monday Oct 5th, Thursday & Friday Oct 7th & 8th...I could go on, but eveyone elese should give a few dates and we'll see if we have anything in common and plan around it. Any suggestions on where/what we do?

8. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Mondays are good for me.

From our discussion last night, downtown seems a good place for most to meet. The Northshore has lots of restaurants,etc. to offer. Here's a few ideas:
    Subway

Stone Cup Roasting (I know the owner and can talk to her about us meeting there)

CyberLan Cafe

What's everyone think?
    I've never been to CyberLAN. This website talks about them:
    Review

9. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I"m all for having a third meeting soon ;) How does next week sound? :p Tim is going to be gone for a few days on a state training thing so I'm gonna be home alone and I'm hunting for something to do ;) I would love nothing more than to have a big get together lol as long as someone can give me directions ;)

IF that's too soon that's ok too but just an idea. Subway or something like that sounds good to me.

Sarka, if you'll e-mail me your name, phone number, AIM name .. etc etc, I'll add you to the roster we made last night and send you a copy.

10. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    CyberLAN cafe is way cool--but kinda cramped. I've been dying to visit them since I knew we were moving to Chattoine, and it was one of my first romps around town. Several people there were very interested in our group, so it may be a good idea to put up posters/flyers if we ever get that far, but still way too small to really have a meeting there.

I love the downtown area, so any where is good with me. :)

11. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Question: Are we going to meet at any certain location in MediaPlay? There are going to be a lot of crazy SW fans/people there, and I don't know what you guys look like. We may even have a couple of others come (maybe), so should we meet at a certain spot at 8? I'll be wearing my "I do my own stunts" t-shirt, but we probably need a spot to meet. How about over to the far right when you walk in--in the corner there is a place you can sit and listen to CDs--wanna meet there?

12. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    Hey guys,

I only just realized I haven't posted since Thursday's meeting. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to everybody. I couldn't post for almost a day after I got home because the storm knocked our power out. Yes, meeting during a hurricane - our intrepid band of rebels did quite well for a first outing.

Okay, so we're meeting Monday at 8 p.m. at Media Play, right? Let me know if that's not the plan. I look forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some of you for the first time. MTFBWY!

13. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I'll be there at 8:00. We can try to meet at the place you mentioned, SarkaVrae. I think everyone from the last meeting will be there, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who we are. I'll wear a SW shirt as well (like probably most people who'll come tonight). Also, I'll be the one sleeping in the sci-fi section (see below). I would dress up, but my costume (right now) is OK for Halloween, but would be laughed outta town if I tried to pass it off as a real SW costume. I'll have it ready for Halloween, though and for any meeting we have around then. I have a belt in process and need to get some pouches and food capsules going... but that's getting off topic.

If I read the paper right, I think all the "activities" start at 9:00. What else do they have planned besides the card game? I didn't plan on it, but if they do plan on really having stuff to do up 'til midnight, I might be tempted to stick around. Who needs sleep anyway?

14. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Where you listen to CDs sounds like a good meeting place.

I created a signup sheet for recruits. Also did pieces of paper to hand out with our city's website address, which no one likely will remember unless it's written down.

Once we become official and have a name I think it would help to come up with our own website just like Atlanta and Nashville have. That way we can direct people to a more memorable web address, and I'm assuming an email address for the city rep to give to recruits. Anyway, that's just longer term thinking.

15. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Yeah, I agree that our own website would be a good thing to have. Sure, we can post here, but like you said, it would be good to be able to direct people to a unique site that would have a more personal feel to it. Something more "Chattanoogan". Besides, we have to come up with a cool logo to go with our name. Plus we'd have pictures and an ton of other stuff we just can't really do off these boards.

BTW, it was good seeing you all again (and some for the first time) last night! I left at around 11:00 and there seemed to be a few people on the sign up sheet, so that might be a good sign. From what I gathered, there probably would be several people coming in from 11 until midnight, so who knows? One of the guys that was working there signed up as well. DrthMrl and I talked with him for awhile and he's also a huge fan that may stop by. He gave me several sets of SW stickers that I'll bring to the next meeting to give out.

Well... the next one is the BIG one. Have we settled on the Chattooine Mountain Brigade as our name or is it still open? If anyone has any suggestions, now's the time. I'm ok with whatever as I don't have anything to throw out there. I tried to see if there was any real theme that the other FanForce's are using, but it's really wide open.

16. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    To echo Vesper, it was good seeing everyone again or for the first time. Vesper, Obi and I talked to DrthMrl, out of the Atlanta FanForce. He might stop by one of our meetings, and suggested our two chapters do something together in the future.

I like Chattoine Mountain Brigade for a name since it ties Star Wars to our fair city. For a logo, we could have our name on a silhouette of a mountain. :D

17. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Good to meet you at last!

Chattooine Mtn Brigade is cool with me. My hubby said we should be the Chattooine Jawas, but then I gave him a lecture in how we are trying to incorporate something to do with Chattanooga, and he agreed that was a good idea.

Just in case you guys don't remember--www.freewebs.com is the place I mentioned that you can setup free websites (so our direct website would be www.freewebs.com/chattooine) until we decide if we want to pay dues that can pay for a domain name, etc.

18. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, your freewebs idea is a good one.

A lecture? :eek:
    I hope you weren't too hard on him. [face_worried]

:p

19. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    LOL! I hope I didn't scare all you hubbies out there with mentioning lectures! lol! He lived... :p

so...who wants to work on the website? Anyone familiar with Photoshop or other software that we could use to work on a logo?

20. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I have Paint Shop Pro that I'd love to learn how to use proficently (someday). I think it would be a great idea for all of us to maybe try our hand at a logo of some kind. Even if it's drawn. I think if we can get a good design, I could maybe "computerize" it in Paint Shop Pro (or someone else who's better at it could). I'd love it if we had several designs to look at and maybe vote on.

As far as websites go, I have one up at Geocities (also free).
    www.geocities.com/jhickey2112/Audio2.html
    I used their online website editor, though. I made a basic site from scratch for a friend once using FrontPage. It's ok, but not great.
    www.dlpp.com
    (If you need any leashes, I can get you a much better deal).

What I'm trying to say is that if there's anyone better at this, feel free to volunteer.

21. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    I think something around Halloween would be pretty cool, but unfortunately, I can't do anything on Saturdays in the fall because of work. (I got a very special dispensation to go to Dragon Con.)

Layren, how is the book you picked up the other night? Have you had a chance to read it? I also wanted to get your thoughts on what the best SW books are. I really liked the first Zahn trilogy, but I haven't read much of the rest.

22. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    My wife has Dreamweaver, a really good Web publisher. As for when I could work on the web site, I'm not sure. Maybe we should all write out some things we want on the web site and compare notes next week. I like Vesper's idea on hand drawing a logo and letting someone draw it up.

23. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    My hubby's an artist. Maybe I can talk him into drawing something for us for a logo. *muses* Obi, the book is really good but I've already read it before ;) I highly recommend anything by Timothy Zahn. Also if you haven't read Shadows of the Empire -- I urge you to run to the nearest bookstore and buy a copy. Or I might have an extra to give you if you're short on cash. It's one of my favorite books. Suvivor's Quest, the latest Zahn book was fantastic. The others are fairly decent. I've read them all. Anybody can borrow if they want to lol just make sure you give them back ;) i have enough star wars books for a star wars library lol. I'll say along with everybody else that it was GREAT meeting you guys again. I can't wait for next Thursday! Our big 3rd meeting! whoohoo! [face_dancing]

24. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Obi--you should check out the SW books at McKays--they are all decently priced. That's what I've been doing--I have read several books already and haven't spent a fortune on getting the new ones. :)

25. drthmrl

drthmrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    i have read all the books up to T.N.J. i would say you should also read the X-wing books. they are outstanding and alot of fun to read.Aaron Alison is a good friend of mine and an honorary member of the hothlanta rebels and has wrote a few of those books. check them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.