main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ADAPTATIONS: The Books and COmics That We Want Turned Into Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DarthZordon, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    Two BIG ones come to mind:
    - Atlas Shrugged
    - Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

Others include:
    - A REAL Starship Troopers adaptation
    - The Silmarillion
    - Halo
    - Green Lantern

While not sci-fi or fantasy, Call of Duty (Modern Warfare) would be very welcome.

An absolute dream would be a New Jedi Order TV show, and a series of Legacy films.

2. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Gotta agree with the Foundation. However, I think it would fit better as a mini-series, seeing as the three books span some 500 years.

Three that jump to mind quickly:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. An epic and twisted road-movie (yeah, you read that right) which would be awesome in the right hands, like perhaps Terry Gilliam or Tim Burton.

His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Done right this time without any of the political correctness that the last one had.

War of the World by H.G Wells. Meaning that I want to see a WotW movie that actually takes place in Victorian England. How has that not been done yet?*

*I know that there is a low-budget WotW movie that is faithful to the book but I want a proper movie getting the real blockbuster treatment

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Wow, this just totally jogged my memory! I remember reading about an A Spell for Chameleon movie way back in like 2000. Obviously it was never made though. I wonder what happened...
    imdb has it listed as "In Production" with a release date of 2011. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

As a side note, I used to really love the Xanth series. The first 10 books or so were really fun to read when I was younger. As the series dragged on into the twenty-somethings though it got really tiresome. The puns just grew out of control. I can't bring myself to read the new books any longer.

4. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Here's what I'd like to see:

A proper telling of Starship troopers. Power armor required or the director should be shot.

Ender's Game. Personally, I this would probably be better as an all CGI movie simply because it would be hard to find child actors who could pull this off.

The Honor Harrington Series. It has tons of room for growth, sequels, and tons of good action.

Harry Turtledove's alternative history where the south won the Civil war and the follow-on alternatives to WWI and WWII.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Starship Troopers Script

I would assume that the effects budget wasn't big enough, but they originally wanted power armour in the movie.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    MasterGandalf said it before me but I would be all about seeing Sanderson's Mistborn made on film.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd love to see some quality R-Rated epic/heroic/sword and sorcery films. There's been some really good fantasy this decade - Lord of the Rings did the classic angle very well, Pan's Labyrinth was a great dark fairy tale, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button showed how to do fantasy that targets the "mainstream" - but I'm still waiting for a visceral dark adventure piece of fantasy cinema. Filmmakers should start looking to:

The Acts of Caine series, Matthew Stover - brilliant blend of butt-kicking science fiction/fantasy that doesn't skimp on socially/philosophically relevant themes. If done right, I could see a film project based on these properties being as much of a critical success as Blade Runner and LotR

Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson - I'd be impossible to adapt the whole series but you could take a single storyline from the books and still come up with something that packs a tremendous punch. For those that have read the books, I need only say three words: Chain of Dogs.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Stephen R. Donaldson - think the majesty and wonder of a Tolkien-like backdrop combined with the psychological strife of Apocalypse Now.

And many more. Moorcock's Elric. Mieville's The Scar. Abercrombie's First Law books...there's a ton of material I'd love to see provided it's not botched in translation.

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I think another I would like to see done right is Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun Saga. That would be a trip.

9. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I wanna see Heroes Die by Matthew Stover made into a movie. It would def have to be an R rated movie.

Good Stuff

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I heard that Wheel of time is being made into a movie. Unversial has the copyright.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The Strain. Guillermo Del Toro. Vampiers. WIN! :D

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Wheel of Time is being made into a movie? I have always thought that they should take the route of Game of Thrones and just put it on HBO. A season a book, 12 episodes.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I can't see Universal committing to a TWELVE film arc. It will be feat to rival Harry Potter if they do it, but I don't see it happening.

14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Priority:
    Greg Bear's EON
    Frederick Pohl's Gateway

Can wait:
    Michael Morecock's Elrick series
    Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana

Eventually:
    Ender's Game

15. Chancellor_Ewok