main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Admiral Raddus Discussion Thread (and Fan Club)

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gigoran Monk, Dec 18, 2016.

1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

Beast!

BenYodaDagobah and Mr. Forest like this.
  2. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I have a question about his accent. The visual guide denotes that he is from another region of Mon Calamari from Ackbar. Why then does he have the same accent?

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Because Mon Cala does not have a Mason Dixon line.

Also, because all citizens of the planet know to follow any and all standards set by Raddus.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, Raddusese is the dialect in all regions of the planet. Young Mon Cals master it down to the most specific enunciation, or risk bringing shame to their families.

DL44Jo, Darth Chiznuk , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  5. SupremeLeaderTrump

SupremeLeaderTrump Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2017
    I love how Admiral Raddus is inspired by Winston Churchill, the prime minister who lead UK during WW2.

Here is a quote from one of his famous speech:
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."
    -Winston Churchill

Raddus also believed in victory at all costs. He still sent his forces to Scarif despite knowing that it was a heavily fortified planet, and that casualties would be high. He insisted on fighting the death star when there's a chance of destroying it, despite the Alliance council choosing not to.

I like admiral raddus; when i heard he was based on Churchill, i admire him even more.

and his facial expression too...
    [​IMG]

6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Scariff, we shall fight on the land and on space, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend Jyn and Cassian, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the corridors, we shall fight inside our spaceships; we shall never surrender,

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Never before in the field of galactic conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" - Winston Churchill Admiral Raddus, scolding Admiral Ackbar

DL44Jo, Gigoran Monk, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Not that you mention that, Ackbar does seem a pessimist compared to Raddus: "It's a trap!" "We have no choice, General Calrissian." "But we won't last long against those Star Destroyers."

Raddus, however, says, "Let's fight." "I have an idea."

:D

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Watching the films in order, it is now a brilliant storytelling device. The Rebel Alliance has suffered so much devastating loss in order to attain their victories that, by the time we get from Rogue One to Return of the Jedi, they have to settle for lesser Admirals. :p

And, I say this as someone who loves Ackbar.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Mon Mothma: Raddus, if I were married to you, I'd poison your tea.
    Adm Raddus: Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it.

12. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    The Winston Churchill of Star Wars.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    If AdmiralNick22 hears you he will get violent........Nick v Chorus: Dawn of Mods

PCCViking and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Of all Mon Cal Admirals, he is literally named the Raddest.

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but Gial certainly sets the BAR for the best Mon Cal, the ackBAR that is.........get it?

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [​IMG]

:p

I'll point out that each situation is radically different. Raddus was expecting a fight and was prepared to engage in one. Ackbar and the Alliance Fleet at Endor were not expecting major fleet vs. fleet combat, as they assumed that the Imperial Fleet was spread throughout the galaxy and that it was a surprise attack.

When you consider that the entire Alliance (or at least the bulk of it's fighting forces) deployed to Endor, a retreat when faced with an unreached DSII and the Imperial Fleet become a matter for the very survival of the Alliance. I don't fault for Ackbar wanting to initially retreat.

I'll add that like any good commander, Ackbar listens to his officers. In this case, he was smart enough to take Lando's advice. Once Ackbar committed, his fleet fought viciously against the Imperial Navy and eventually took down the Executor. ;)

Anyways, I love Ackbar & Raddus equally. Instead of arguing which was better, we should celebrate how awesome the Rebellion's Mon Cala admirals were. :D

--Adm. Nick

DL44Jo, EHT, Darth Chiznuk and 2 others like this.
  17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I wonder if the Resistance has any Mon Cala admiral's other than Ackbar. Maybe Raddus had a kid.He could be the one leading Echo of Hope. Which btw needs to be in TLJ

18. SupremeLeaderTrump

SupremeLeaderTrump Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2017
    I still get the feels when Admiral Raddus looks at Death star blast near the Scarrif citadel and says, "Rogue One, may the force be with you".

19. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    You know a film is good when a talking squid brings you to tears.

DL44Jo, Darth Basin, EHT and 2 others like this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I can picture Raddus saying: "Holocron, holcron near the wall. Who is the Raddest of them all?"

:p

Darth Basin and vncredleader like this.
  21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I really hope they Legends Dodonna him and he gets rescued from an Imperial prison camp after ROTJ.

22. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
  23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Release the Raddus!

24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Well, it is clear that Disney needs to give us a Raddus decalogy after they finish with the lesser 9 Skywalker movies. :)

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Raddus does not need to escape from an Imperial prison. He masterminded every tactical decision of the Rebellion from his Stalag. He was running that ish like Hogan's Heroes. Compared to his military prowess and intellect, Sidious looked like Klink and Vader was his Schultz.

DL44Jo, Sarge, Artoo-Dion and 2 others like this.