Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jango10, May 20, 2005.
Actually ranking them is really difficult, I know ESB is my favourite and I know TPM and ROTJ are my least favourites, but the other three are more or less equal. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give a different answer.
Perhaps in keeping with the serious and in-depth nature of this specific forum, we shouldn't just list the films but also offer explanations, commentary and general feeling.
This list is subject to change as I've only seen ROTS once, and it is so intense and so much to take in.
1. The Empire Strikes Back- In my opinion it is the most human of all the films, has the most interesting story, the best script, the best directing, the best acting, and just the most amusing to watch. There is so much great character development, and expansion of the universe. The film is worth it if only to see Han Solo, Darth Vader and Yoda (in my opinion those characters are at the top of their game in Empire.) A brilliant film (my favorite movie of all time.)
2. A New Hope- It is the introduction to the films, and a colorful one at that. Alec Guiness, the bickering droids, the selfish Han, naive Luke, and self-centered Leia are all great to see. Peter Cushing and Alec Guiness carry the film. I really can't explain how much I love this movie.
3. Return of the Jedi- As a young child, it was my favorite. The reason was for the final duel, and the final space battle (to me those are the best bits of action in the entire saga.) Over the years, I've thought less of it. However it seems like Revenge of the Sith added a new dimension to this film. Anakin saves Luke, only because Anakin has a need to protect the ones he loves, and in the end he isn't willing to lose Luke. It provides closure to both trilogies, and for that it is amazing.
4. Revenge of the Sith (This rank is subject to change.) It is so intense and emotional that I don't know where to place it in the ranking. I don't want to comment for fear that I will spoil someone who has yet to see it. Better acting, better script.
5. The Phantom Menace- a film that I enjoy seeing. From arrival to Coruscant to iris out, is one of the best parts of the entire saga (in my mind.) That part in particular is brilliant. A nice introduction.
6. Attack of the Clones- I still love it, but admit the flaws. It has choppy editing, acting, and directing. It is still enjoyable and I still love it.
Like Seldon said, please also post why you rank them in your order. Refrain from posting just lists.
1. Empire Strikes Back: Best story, our first glimpse of an actual Star Wars "universe" outside of Tatooine and the Death Star. The only thing I don't like is that there are far too little aliens in the film, it's as if all aliens reside on Tatooine or something. (This has only bothered me once watching it after the prequals, where did they all go?)
2. A New Hope: The best stand alone sci-fi movie ever. But with having the prequels ahead of it, it now seems too small, compared to the rest of the films. Used to be number 1, but have switched with Empire once watching the films all in order yesterday.
3. Revenge of the Sith: Can't really discuss it in depth due to spoilers, but the good outweighs the bad by a long shot.
4. Attack of the Clones: I can't really explain why I like this movie more than the others, I think it's just the imagery. Very good eye candy, and this is where Obi-Wan starts to strut his stuff for the first time.
5. Return of the Jedi: Weak first act. Ewoks... The thing that saves this film from the bottom is of course the final dual and space battle sequence. However with the prequels to set it up it now seems absurd to end the saga on a planet full of teddy bears when we have spent three movies worth on the capital planet of the Republic/Empire.
6. The Phantom Menace: I'm sure the reasons have been well discussed. I like the film mind you, I just find it the weakest. Actually, thinking about it now, I'm not so sure that Return of the Jedi SHOULDN'T be here after all.
Attack of the Clones
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Meanace
A New Hope
1.Revenge of the Sith - The most emotional and darkest of the whole Saga.
2.Empire Strikes Back - Wonderful story. I love the scenes between Yoda and Luke. Most emotional of the Original Trilogy.
3.Return of the Jedi - The scenes with Palpatine is what places this film here. This film had so much potential, but I feel like it spent too much time with the Jabba the Hutt and Ewok stories, instead of the true conflict within the story.
4.Attack of the Clones - I love this film, and I don't see many flaws in it. If it wasn't for Palpatine in ROTJ, most likely this film would be number three. I personally loved the story between Anakin and Padme.
5.The Phantom Menace - I love every scene that Palpatine is in. I enjoy watching him orchestrate the events that eventually lead him to becoming Supreme Chancellor. I also love the duel with Darth Maul.
6.A New Hope - Let's face it. This film is very good, but it lacks many elements in terms of storyline that the other films carry so well.
For me I would Say.....
1)Empire Strikes Back- You have Vader reavealing he is Luke's Dad....more Lightsaber fights than the first....Yoda's first apperance....really good.
2)Return of the Jedi- Emperor and Luke's lines were great....Vader saving his son (is it just me or does it just take a little while to decide to save his kid)
3)Revenge of the Sith- This was great.....Yoda and Palpatine Obi-Wan and Anakin....great lightsaber fights. Didn't like less Padme she is damn hot.
4)A New Hope- Cannot disagree with the original....needed more lightsaber
5)Attack of the Clones- Loves Yoda's fight scene....lot of ***t that made no sense in the movie....but i was ok
6) The Phantom Meance- It was horrible except for the lightsaber fight...Padme's outfits and makeup were weird as hell....Just really lame.
ROTS- It is the darkest and most emotional of the saga obviously with Anakin's turn and the broken friendship of Him and Obi-Wan. And the duel is spectacular.
ANH- I like this one second because it is also very emotional and it sets Luke on his path to destroy the Sith. I also love the Death Star space battle at the end. 'Okay kid, lets blow this thing and go home.' Love it.
TPM- It introduces the characters and the conflict that will continue for the rest of the saga. Its like nobody realises that there will be Galactic War for the next 30+ years. And the duel at the end with Maul.
AOTC- This one interests me with all of the mystery and how the Sith a setting there plans into motion. Obi-Wan and Anakin are brilliant in this and I can't see any bad actinag at all.
ROTJ- I love the emotional fight at the end between Luke and Vader. I love the feeling of after decades of war, it is finally all over and the Sith have been destroyed. And sadly, its the end of Anakin Skywalker, that little boy on Tatooine.
ESB- I don't want to get flamed for this, but it is actually my least favourite of the six. I still love it with the whole duel at the end with Luke and Vader, but the whole training of Luke on Dagobah bores me a bit. Though it's still a great movie.
6. ROTS - it focused on very few characters and left MANY questions unanswered. Did not live up to my expectations. Oh, and Sidious was gagging rather than speaking and General Grievous' coughing is too exaggerated.
1-ESB- battle of Hoth and the new charecters it Introduced and seeing all the bounty hunters
2-ROTS- Sweet action film
3-TPM- IMO best light saber fight between OB1 and maul
4-ANH- sweet but limited because GL did not no if there was going to be a second
5-ROTJ- best space battle but IMO thats about it
6-AOTC- great but battle of Geonosis to short, not enough action in the film.
ESB/AOTC cant choose
Originally ROTS was second from last. After another viewing I noticed I was wrong.
Here we go again
1. TESB: Darth Vaders moment to shine. Love the scene with Yoda and Luke. This movie has it all
2. ROTS: This was one hell of a ride. Yoda is in his prime in this film. Palpatine is amazing as well.
3. AOTC: This film has the best plot.IMO It was very well done and the Geonosis battle is still my favorite scene.
4. ANH: The best (good guys VS bad guys) film in history. What more can I say.
5. ROTJ: Great movie with a spectacular end battle. The Jabba's tempel scene was cool as well.
6. TPM: I love this film so much. The reason it gets last place is because it's very childish. Jar Jar is loved by kids and hated by alduts. I still think the Droid VS gungan battle is great fun.
1. ESB:The best written and best looking chapter of the saga, it's also the most serious. A perfect movie.
2. ANH:The most fun and least pretentious chapter. Magic.
3. ROTS:Still has a few symptoms of 'Prequelitis', never the less it's the most pure 'Space opera' of the chapters and brilliant in places.
4. ROTJ:Something about ESB must have scared Lucas, or those years are when success finally changed him, because ROTJ is the beginning of a trend that would carry over into the PT.
5. AOTC:A more entertaining film than 'Jedi', I still rank it here because of the clunky love story, the endless political wrangling and the cartoonish CG.
6. TPM:Yikes. I know it's Star Wars, and in some strange way I do love it, the way a parent loves a bad kid, but this film is a giant cinematic turkey. Was Lucas rusty as a writer, director? Did he have too much at his disposal, causing the story telling to take a back seat to spectacle? Who knows. Only about 30 seconds of this film approaches the spirit of Star Wars for me, and that's Obi VS the over-hyped, under-used Darth maul.
ESB- Even after seeing and completley being floored by ROTS, this is still the best of the entire saga. It is dark where it needs to be, with enough lighter moments to balance it out. And it has two of the best lines ever spoken in any Star Wars film. 'The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet.' and of course 'No, I am your father.'
ROTS- I won't spoil anything for anyone(yet). It is the darkest movie of the saga obviously with Anakin's transformation to Darth Vader. The action is virtually non-stop, with just a couple of chances to catch your breath, before plunging back in to Anakins fall to the Dark Side. The duel is an incredible moment is Star Wars history and was done justice on film.
ANH- The original still holds a special place. I saw the film when it first came out in 1977, and from the moment the Star Destroyer enters the frame at the start of the film, I was hooked. The battle over the Death Star still ranks as one of the more incredible moments in the saga. As more films were made the space battles got more impressive, but this one still is my favorite.
AOTC- The slow revealing of the Sith plot was great, but the story between Anakin and Padme contained some painfully cheesy dialogue, even by Star Wars standards. The battle of Geonosis could have been a bit longer, but the fight between Yoda and Dooku was just great.
TPM- Jar Jar could have made this the least favorite of mine, but the Maul vs. Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel saves it from a fate reserved for ROTJ. The moment that hangar door opens, and you hear the beginning of 'Duel of The Fates' you know you are in for a treat. And the fact that you see Anakin as a kind, if slightly annoying kid adds the feeling you want to know how a child who 'gives of himself without any thought of reward' can end up as Darth Vader.
ROTJ- Well one of them had to be last, and as annoying as Jar Jar was, the Ewoks just make me cringe just a bit more, and just seem to be a big distraction in what should have been the best of the movies. The fight between Luke and Vader, and the eventual turn by Vader at the end, while predictable even back in 1983, was a moment to cheer. And even though the good guys win in the end, I felt at least one of the Rebels we knew should have died to remind everyone what the cost of this victory was. It could have even been Wedge, it would have added something to the film.
Upon seeing Revenge for a second time, I have to change my ratings here.
Empire is still my favorite for reasons stated above.
A New Hope still takes second place with the reasoning above.
Now, I will say that Revenge of the Sith is my third favorite. It improves all of the other films (especially Return of the Jedi.)
Return of the Jedi is now fourth.
The Phantom Menace
and finally Attack of the Clones.
OMG no one like TPM! WT*
I hope Im not misinterpereting this, but im raking by what i think are my favorites, and not necessarily the best movie technically.
1.) ROTS This is not because its fresh and new i assure you. The scene starting with Padmes landing on Mustafar amazes me. I think its the most powerful scene in the saga. Its truly dumb founding to see Anakin here copletely changed a completely different being. My hats of to Hayden for these scenes. When Obi arrives it only reinstills the dramatic change and the tragedy. It concludes with the burning, and what a horrific scene, the painful screams of Anakin and shout of hatred send chills threw me. All the while Bens sadness only intesify's the tragedy of Anakin. My favorite scene of the saga no argument.
2.) ROTJ Closure! Ive always loved Jedi because of this, everything is wrapped up, its fast paced and energetic. Almost to mirror the above ranking I love Anakins hesitation before his final act of selflessness. Even at the end this person is conflicted. Also a nice final 45 mins and an editing masterpiece. Great Space battle, Great Duel, Great ground assault all edited so you never wander and are always on the edge of your seat.
3.) AOTC Surprising because so many hate this one. But Im a huge fan of the Jedi in this. Mostly Anakin and Ben (especally Ben). They have a more down to earth feel in this one. The scene with Ben at the diner always brings a smile to my face. Weve always seen the Jedi very stiff and true to teaching. In AOTC i really feel we get a sense that they are human ( so to speak) still. I also enjoy the way the final battle of geonosis is portrayed, its very gritty, almost lifelike yet still SW's. I enjoy the mix of the "real world" war we get here.
4.) ESB The Duel, This is the best Duel IMO (i love the ROTS duel, but the physical duel isnt as important there). The duel between Anakin and Luke has such a power to it, its very dark, and forboding. Youre aware something is going to happen but not sure what. Very simplistic action wise, but the building intesity is amazing. Nod to Yoda here, it was fantastic to see someone so apparantly small so powerul and wise, yet so very soothing.
5.) TPM I love the tone, some may hate the "kiddie" nature of this one, but i think its perfect. We were privy to a much more naive time in the galaxy. Very remniscent of Anakin's mindset and maturity at the time as well. I (although some disagree) think its a great openeing act. Were thrown into a vast and beatiful world and are left to catch our breaths to understand it.
6.) ANH At #6 i still love this movie. This is where it started. the introduction of so many great characters. More so than ever now, I enjoy seeing how so many characters have matured from TPM to ANH, and from ANH to ROTJ. I place it at #6 simply because i find it lags the most, it moves very quick, but ive always felt it had the least amount of story (which is understandable). Definately the most "pop-corny of the lot" to me anyway.
I love all these movies, my 1st memory is of SW's and its hard to list these numerically. Some are placed there simply because of thrill (ROTJ) some because content and emotion (ROTS). But in all honesty they are one movie and i find it so much harder now to watch one at a time. Its 1 or 2 a day until i complete the saga now. But from 1-6 these are how they are most frequently played and why.
I have the exact same feelings as Seldon, it's almost bizzar.
1. The Empire Strikes Back-The best because it is the most diverse, it isn't just action-packed, it has the best character development. Most importantly and integral to the entire Star Wars Universe is that we learn about the force in a deep and meaningful manor, not just a light-hearted conversation.
2. A New Hope-Before the PT, I thought this was my least favorite of the 3 because comparitvely speaking, it is the slowest. I have come to realize that there is more to a good movie than just action
3. Return of the Jedi- Ironically, it was my favorite before the PT. I loved all the action at the end, and the celebration at the end made me all warm and gooey inside after watching the entire Trillogy.
4. Revenge of the Sith-Definetly the best of the PT. I have not decided if it is better than any of the OT, because I have only seen it once.
5. The Phantom Menace- I loved the movie the first couple times I saw it because of the years of optimistic hype built up and it had some great action, especially the lightsaber dual, and the Pod Racing, awesome stuff! However, I came to realize that the story and the acting was really cheesey, and that I could only put up with Jar-Jar for so long.
6. Attack of the Clones- I can't say that I liked this one at all, in fact I was board out of my mind. I only saw it once in the theatre and I recently watched it right before I saw ROTS. I'm happy that we have DVD's because nothing happends for the first hour and a half of the movie. The end was pretty good, but overall I was very disapointed with this one.
REVENGE OF THE SITH - This movie is brilliant. Absolutely spectacular. I have bashed the prequels from time to time but damn! This movie is amazing. It's just so dark and so violent and so effing entertaining. All the characters shine in this movie. The scene on the lava beach was one of the best in the entire saga. And we finally see the Dark Lord of the Sith in action!
A NEW HOPE - Classic. No other way to describe it. Very entertaining and very fun to watch.
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - Argubly the best made film of the OT. It has the best effects of the OT, the best dialogue, and one of the best plot twists in history.
RETURN OF THE JEDI - The first half of the movie kind of childish. The Emperor scenes, and the space battle save this movie.
THE PHANTOM MENACE - The most childish of the saga. Yet still entertaining (well most of the film is). The duel is very exhilararting and is the one thing that saves this movie from total disaster.
ATTACK OF THE CLONES - Several days ago, I greatly disliked this film. But ROTS has made me like the prequels more. But still, the dialogue and the acting were sub-par. The lightsabre duel and the Battle of Geonosis were underhwelming.
1. ESB (It's great)
2. ANH (It's great)
3. ROTJ (It's great)
4. TPM (meh)
5 AOTC (meh)
6. ROTS (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!)
2. Star Wars
Forgive me for being slightly rude here, but I think it's pretty silly to try to rank the films as separate entities. They are all part of a greater whole. No one film makes ANY sense on its own. They ALL need the other 5 to bring the complete story.
All have their strengths. All have their weaknesses. All have parts I liked, and parts I didn't. But I like the OVERALL story well enough that I can say I liked them all.