main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit After the High Republic - what next?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 5, 2024.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I will say, as much as I haven’t connected with HR half as much as I’d like (though the main line novels are really good), the multimedia aspect is sublime.

Shadows of the Empire and The Force Unleashed did this fairly well in microcosm, and after the fact the Yuuzhan Vong War and Legacy Era end up covering a few formats - comics, novels, e-releases, sourcebook - that was rather belated and it wasn’t fully finished. We nearly had a TCW appearance for the Yuuzhan Vong, and video game for the Legacy Era, but not quite.

By my expectations of Star Wars have even considerably raised by High Republic filling, in very little time, an era in such depth, with the crown inevitably being Acolyte, which I am rather excited by and for.

Previously, the connectivity between the films and multimedia has been well enough, but generally (from what I hear) criticised for being relatively tame, what with the Episodes being the main thrust of the plot and movement of matters. Palpatine’s return isn’t even mentioned in most of the material released during the ST era, though the Rise of Kylo Ren included him, and the post-ST release of Shadows of the Sith did its only weaving as has the Mandalorian.

But what this TL: DR comes down to is one question; which era do you hope to see covered as comprehensively as the High Republic next?

And when one wonders aloud, it comes down to, in all likelihood, one of three options.

Dawn of the Jedi era, the Knights of the Old Republic or the New Jedi Order?

Personally I hope for NJO content galore, but inevitably I expect it to be KotoR because it doesn’t have any major films planned to focus the story on.

Thoughts, my friends?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s either going to be one in the 15 year gap between TROS and NJO or it’s going to be the old republic. I see no in between. I also think there will be a 5 to 7 year gap or if not the next multimedia project will be much smaller in scale. But I think if they go with the NJO gap it will be smaller anyway as there are only 15 years to cover.

I know some people want a multi media during AOTC to TPM. But I just don’t see it.

HMTE likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I’ve appreciated how they’ve started to dip their toes more into the Pre-AOTC/TPM prequel era, and then the New Republic era with the shows especially.

I’d argue that the NR era is slowly (in a less-planned way) becoming its own project between the Mandalorian, Ahsoka, BoBF, and the Filoni movie (I probably missed something here too).
    Dark Times era has been getting attention too with Rogue One, Solo, Obi-wan Kenobi, Bad Batch, Andor.

I’m definitely interested in the actual future, but just like they didn’t want the time between ROTJ and TFA too filled out before they finished the sequel trilogy, I think the same will be for the Rey movie and the time between that and TROS.

I feel like redoing KOTOR would just upset people for not being the same, or being too similar, or not living up to their nostalgia. So while possible I don’t think any time soon.

Dawn of the Jedi era is more likely. Though I’m nervous about it. The Legends comic series had some flaws, but I really like what they did, and the oversimplification they hinted at in TLJ doesn’t seem that interesting to me.

I think they could also pick a random time no one is thinking of, and flesh it out. Like how they picked the High Republic… no one had the imagination or ambition to tell a complex and interesting story in a time everyone assumed was too boring for Jedi/Republic stories (or only Sith-centric hidden missions).

4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I get the feeling that they are going to go even further back into the past than High Republic is. Either to 1,000 BBY or a bit further. I think anywhere from 5,000 BBY to 1,000 BBY is likely.

NJO could happen but I do think they will continue to be pretty hesitant to have many books and comics taking place in time periods where they are currently doing live action stuff.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    With the New Jedi Order movie coming next (most likely), I would like to see some material that sets us up for that era. The story is wide open following Rise of Skywalker and not bound to "Lucas characters" for the most part (though I would like to see some Lando and Chewbacca appearances). I'd enjoy seeing Rey trying to learn about Jedi history, which would give an opportunity for her to visit some of the Jedi temple outposts from the High Republic and/or find some of the artifacts. She could go back and visit with Maz Kanata and get a lengthy history lesson. Give her a few Lara Croft style adventure stories seeking out Jedi stuff.

I'd like to see more from between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens about the Palpatine and the Sith, but I'm not optimistic about getting that story.

Shadowrain10 and StarWarsFan1997 like this.
  6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Under a director who is rather...uneasy.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Rogue Squadron would be an awesome focal point for a multimedia project. Even though the movie was shelved, Kathleen Kennedy has stated that it's something they would still love to do a movie or TV show about, and no wonder --- they're one of the most iconic creations of the entire EU. They're already tried, tested, and true stars of widely beloved novels, comics, and video games, and they've been sorely missing from Star Wars for over a decade. One can't help but feel like they're basically a license to print money.

Maybe it would feel a bit like a rehash of the nineties, but if a TV show, video games, novels, and comics were all being produced under a single creative umbrella, it would be well above and beyond the continuity of the old EU. Sure, Stackpole was writing the books and the comics simultaneously and weaving various connections through them, but the N64 and Game Cube Rogue Squadron games were their own thing, taking place years earlier and telling their own story. They didn't borrow all that much from existing Rogue Squadron material beyond the name. Imagine if we had gotten an early Double-ohs Rogue Squadron game set in the New Republic era, where you got to control Wedge, Tycho, Corran, Inyri, Rhysati, Ooryl, Gavin, et al, tracking down Leonia Tavira for one final showdown in like 12 ABY? That's the kind of multimedia synergy we could get these days.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Another idea I had before that might work as a multimedia project, and a significant crisis between Episodes 6 and 7 without being a major war that affects the New Republic too much:

The Slave Rebellions against the Hutts, that are hinted at in Bloodline as happening after Jabba's death. But maybe it really takes off around 15-20 years after ROTJ (a little further ahead than the Mandalorian) and it's more of a test for Luke with some of his first students, and a lot of emphasis on new characters such as rebellious slaves' leaders and undercover New Republic agents. Really dive into Hutt space and Hutt culture/ideology. Like what's been happening now with the Rebellion, show both the idealistic as well as the more ruthless, bloody, utilitarian ones striking against the Hutts. Maybe a dark mirror to the Hutts with their Hutt Supremacist mentality would be a faction of the rebellion that are Pius Dea human supremacists. And others who just want to see the Hutt empire burn, and don't care about the aftermath.

Another with potential could be that crisis on Mandalore that led to Qui-gon and Obi-wan going there and meeting Satine.

What does this mean?

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    "I like to make men uncomfortable." -- quote from the director

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    ...which has nothing to do with what era of books/comics people would like to see a focus on next...

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Great. Some men should be uncomfortable. Context matters here. She said in relation to her Pakistan documentary and the mistreatment of women. Like come on. Include the context. Yes. Men should feel uncomfortable that literally every day thousands of women. Perhaps hundreds of thousands of women are sexually assaulted.

please if your going to try to do this at least do your research and do it in the correct thread.

12. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    They've been name dropping Darth Caldoth a fair amount in the recent Canon material. He's name dropped in the High Republic and in Dooku Jedi Lost. Maybe we'll get something during the New Sith Wars era, or whatever the Canon equivalent shall be.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Noash_Retrac; warning. Do not attempt to derail the thread with a segue into sound bites taken out of context (and that’s reading your intention with the best light). End of tangent.

14. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope for a storyline about the remnant of the First Order (led by Mitaka) officially surrendering.

Seems more possible to me that there be will be just a flashback near the end of THR Phase III with
    the reveal of Caldoth being a creator of monsters from Planet X.

HMTE and jedi_master_ousley like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Ghost

Dawn of the Jedi era is more likely. Though I’m nervous about it. The Legends comic series had some flaws, but I really like what they did, and the oversimplification they hinted at in TLJ doesn’t seem that interesting to me.

Oh? I didn't think we had that much to work with. Prime Jedi on Ach-To, and a dark side assault recorded by the Caretakers.

Not much else per se...?

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They appear to be seeding stories backwards. So we get Nameless mentions in 2019 published stories. With what is in the picture for the Nameless, they point towards the ancient Sith War that Porter talks of the extensive recovery from.

17. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    That makes a lot of sense.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The idea of there being a single founder, the Prime Jedi, who also looks like it's just another human... yeah that's very disappointing, especially with all its implications, and the contrast with the Legends DotJ comics.

Legends version - It was mythical, mystical, and awe-inspiring. Pyramids across the galaxy opening up, calling the Force sensitives of those worlds/species, then taking them on a journey to live in harmony together in a hidden star system with no FTL travel, growing as a culture for many generations before being discovered by the wider galaxy and going on to adopt a mission to guard its peace and bring justice... that's a super cool premise.

Some human savior-esque figure single-handedly founding the Jedi order (version #8925687256 of Luke/Rey) in probably just a few years' time (due to it being planned as a movie)... it's too founder-centric, again the focus on humans, not showing the diversity of the Jedi that we even get in the PT nevermind the HR, and it's just so boring.

Yeah, some of that is going off implications than outright statements, but it's very hard to see them not going that route with what they already shared. (I also read some things when the DotJ movie was in development, before it was shelved... and it wasn't good).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    As I have gotten older, I have started to wonder if Star Wars really should have a single unified canon or if it would make more sense if everything was just treated as myths. Hence different origins for the Jedi. Have events of the OT and the PT be the only certain events to have happened.

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Having a unified canon is what separates it from all the other tie-in fiction out there. So it's unified canon thing is something it should never give up.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't have a huge preference for what they do next, but whatever it is I'll be excited. THR has been a sweeping success IMO, so the capability is there, it's just a matter of time before we see what they cook up.

22. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't need a new era.

What I want is focus on other aspects of the galaxy during the film era.

Lets have a corporate/pirate/slicer/smuggler saga...one that bridges the PT all the way to the ST.

Background into Rendili or Kuat or Sienar, how they mutated and adapted to different governments.

I've always wanted stories about the Rebel's acquiring equipment...whether from the companies, or blackmarket, etc.

See how the Hutts handle the post OT, or even the post ST.

You could still have the Rebels and Empire and Jedi and Sith...but as secondary characters.

The focus would be on the people making a life in the middle of the chaos.

How about a story about colonist farmers trying to survive on a wild world because their support was forgotten or discontinued due to one of the wars?

How about a massive slicer scheme to hack the holonet and steal trillions of credits and leave chaos in their wake?

CORSEC FILES...life on the streets of Coronet...cameo by a punk named Han. etc.

Any of these ideas could be a crossover, and combining them could be a major boost and would grow the world, which another era of jedi just doesn't do for me anymore.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    AusStig likes this.
  23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    While I do think there will be another multi media project if people think it’s coming in 2026 straight after THR ends. I highly doubt it.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    We'll see when it comes. They do seem to be extremely pleased though with how High Republic has done (given that the majority of what we have coming out now is High Republic material and they kept on expanding the number of people involved with it) so it's a type of storytelling they will definitely come back to.

It is a lot of work though and who knows if they are working on the next one behind the scenes right now or not.

Ghost likes this.