main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Ahsoka Episode 1.07 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 25, 2023.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 4, 2023.
  1. 10

8.4%
  2. 9

17.8%
  3. 8

30.8%
  4. 7

25.2%
  5. 6

4.7%
  6. 5

7.5%
  7. 4

2.8%
  8. 3

0.9%
  9. 2

1.9%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    OK, not much more boring, IMHO.

And just as good.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Always nice to see such intellectually stimulating conversation here at the JCF.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    On a scale from 1-10, I would give friendship a 10 in SW (and in life), but romance, when done well is a plus 10.

I cannot imagine for a moment anyone thinking they are just as good.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Come one, come all. Witness the heady days of intellectual ferment that preceded the creation of the “Rank friendship vs. romance from 1-10” poll thread at the JCF.

DannyD, EHT, ShayaLothal and 4 others like this.
  5. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    That's probably why they're saving Zeb and Kallus for the second season, for when the fight against Thrawn really starts.

[​IMG]

6. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    This would be super hot.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Retired Superninja star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 31, 2012
    I gave the episode 9/10. Really a lot of fun. It moved the plot along just enough to set up the finale while giving us some really good action beats. I enjoyed it a lot!

8. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I give this one an 8.

Briefly on the opening scene, it's my least favorite of the episode (probably just as well that it's the opening). I do like parts of it, e.g. that there is at least a report on the Seatos incident. I just would've preferred a more conciliatory exchange, for both Hera and Senator Xiono.

With a third full viewing of the episode, I still think it plays out well. I don't feel it's unnecessarily holding back or that there's any glaring omission. The amount of action feels fine to me after the relative lack thereof in Part 6.

Similarly, I like at least two of the characters not needing certain things. Ahsoka's new perspective shines through, further paying off Part 5, and the reunion (especially when noted by Huyang) essentially makes amends for the split in Part 4. The time taken with interaction among the protagonists, even in separate pairs (and including Anakin) is a joy.

I think my favorite scene is when Ahsoka reaches out to Sabine through the Force. It's a nice meditative moment, but also, in a way, it feels like everyone is connected at that point: the Great Mothers picking up on Ahsoka's location, while Ahsoka locates Sabine, who in turn is being watched by Baylan and Shin.

The last two separating works for me; it seems like Baylan wanted to help Shin to a good position before turning to his own calling. The moment is helped, though, by Stevenson's performance and the music. What I think is a variation of Baylan's motif, as a choral part, started in Part 6, so I think that thread is continuing and is still compelling. In Baylan's post-duel deliberation, I think there's a lower vocal with the piano, possibly suggesting a dark end to this path. For Shin's part, I like that she subsequently has her own moment of wavering.

In this most recent viewing, the ending scene felt like a pseudo-farewell between Ezra and the Noti, thus a bit more poignant than previously. I don't know how the finale plays out, and I don't have to (yet). I do know it'll be a bittersweet experience because I love this series.

Lulu Mars and rumblewagon like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes all my posts are always very philosophical. :p

10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I especially am impressed by all the amazing puns in the forum!

DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Force Ghost star 5

May 1, 2014
    Like others I felt this episode fell a bit flat after last weeks. I expected more from it being the penultimate episode. Having been a Thrawn fan since first reading the Zahn trilogy when it first came out I've been looking forward to this and I hope hes in their plans for a lot more past the Ashoka series. I don't know the answer to this, but I wonder what those fans think who've never read an EU book or seen the animated series. because not everyone consumes everything. Is Thrawn being explained well enough? Is the series able to be watched and followed without the need for the books and animated shows? I'm not convinced by the portrayal of Ezra yet, its going to be interesting to see the plans for all these characters going forward and what other series / films they can be carried over to. Love the Anakin training hologram. FWIW I wouldn't have been opposed to a Leia hologram instead of 3PO, which we all know was a shameless bit of fan service.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    If her daughter thinks it's ok why not. The reason this argument doesn't hold water is they have been making movies and TV for a long time so for instance a show like the Andy Griffith Show gets shown on rerun TV without Andy Griffiths permission and other deceased actors why is that ok? When you sign up to do movies and TV you are forever in Pop culture whether you like it or not.

13. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    The difference is Andy Griffith signed on to do those episodes in the first place. Carrie Fisher can't agree to using her likeness in future things (a family member giving the okay is not the same as an individual giving consent for themselves imo). Using the likeness and voice of an actor who is know longer with us to create an AI simulacrum of them to be used in new movies and shows is strange, new moral territory. Much as I wish there wasn't, due to how much I loved Luke in The Book of Boba Fett, I think there is a strong argument against using an actor's AI likeness without their permission.

To quote Ian Malcolm, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

Watcherwithin likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    To me, it was clearly the low point of an otherwise fabulous season of Star Wars TV.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I would agree that this episode is my least favorite out of the 8.
    Episodes 4-5-6 were the high point of the show for me.

16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Just finished this episode. My notes are short because I hate typing on my phone.

Senator Xiono is a bore. Apparently no one else can speak in proceedings but him. I agree that there are other characters who could have spoken up for Hera.

Good to see 3PO and learn Leia is the Leader of the Defense Council.

HC!! ❤️ he’s doing great.

Debris field- once in awhile callback scenes to other films are ok but I feel like it’s becoming a lazy way to write your character out of trouble and have viewers overlook it because it’s a beloved scene.

Sabine’s refusal to tell Ezra the truth doesn’t make her look like a very good friend.

I like Ezra! The actor seemed very natural. Good with the force and stunts. Would love to know what he’s been up to.

Still no emotion IMO to the relationship between Sabine and Ahsoka. It feels antagonistic and that’s because Sabine doesn’t seem to care much. I can’t find it in me to even root for her.

Skoll-what is he after? Very underdeveloped part of the story. What is it about Peridea that calls to him?

Sabine impales a guy with her lightsaber and he stays dead! Finally.

NLB is just not good with the saber choreography. She’s better with the Mando armor and blasters.

I tried reading Thrawn Alliances when it first came out and couldn’t finish because he was so over the top in his arrogance. I felt like the author was intentionally trying to write him so that Anakin came off as stupid and didn’t finish the book. The show definitely doesn’t portray him the way the author did. He lacks that air of “I’m better than you” that the books give off.

Ahsoka and Ezra’s sabers killed troopers too. The inconsistency between shows with how this handled annoys me.

Morgan E was bad ass with that blade. Nice job in the fight. I thought I caught A nice little Anakin like twirl in Ashoka’s bit this fight.

Force ghost Anakin. ❤️

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I do agree about debris fields. I completely tune out when the obligatory debris field scene pops up. It’s a device used far too often, the debris is always far too numerous for the dodging to be believable (and the debris is usually not the best CGI), the scenes often go on for too long, and there’s usually little attempt to make the action memorable or unique, and so it often feels phoned in. If I were Kathleen Kennedy, I would issue a “no more debris field scenes” directive. For at least the next ten years.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    rumblewagon, Sarge and Watcherwithin like this.
  18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    :rolleyes:

It was one example I provided in the context of this show because at this moment I feel like older loved scenes are being copied a lot in Disney Star Wars. It was not an attempt to complain about debris fields for Pete’s sake.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    But Andy Griffith or any actor in the early days of TV couldn't have known about TV shows in Syndication for the rest of eternity he didn't sign on to that. Fact is once your on TV and Movies you sell off the rights to your likeness to at least your estate and I'm sure her daughter will agree to it and be in it and it's money in her pocket!

20. Bibliora

Bibliora Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2023
    The images they use, they already own. However, her estate may have something to say.