main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC AI creates art for you

Discussion in 'Community' started by epic , Sep 21, 2021.

1. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it’s easy to dismiss it’s as a form of expression but I’d argue that what makes these generation algorithms so tempting is entirely the opposite, functionally the major draw is that its allow people to significantly lower the barrier of entry on visual expression. Somebody can have a vivid image in their minds eye, and have it realized in visual form by providing a detailed written description without spending years trying to learn how to draw.

It’s obviously ethically fraught for all the reasons we’ve all discussed, but it’s not hard at all to see what makes it so enticing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    My 2 year old can draw. With paint. crayons. His food. Hell, even mud. He has an absolute blast making messy scribble art. My 4 year old demands that ever single piece of his art gets hung up on the gallery wall right next to Dad's personally made professional illustrations.

There's no barrier to expression. Or expressing yourself in artistic means.

What you're talking about is making professional level looking imagery instantly. That sounds more like jealousy than anything. The answer is simple Learn to draw. Spend the time drawing and learning and doing your own art. Figure out color theory. Anatomy. I've been drawing since I was a kid. I've spent tens of thousands of hours learning how to express myself in the ways that I find personal.It's taken that long to learn my own visual language. I look back on my own art, even from just a few years ago and wince. But that's because I've grown as an artist. That's the whole point to self expression and doing art.

NO ONE is barring you from doing that. No one is gate-keeping you from being an artist. When I hear this argument, all I hear is "I don't want to do the hard work that is required to become skillful. So instead I'll steal other artists' hard work and claim their expression as my own. And sometimes, even make a profit on it.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm on your side of the argument generally, but i slightly push back against the idea that nothing is stopping me from spending "tens of thousands of hours" on a hobby or learning a new skill. living under capitalism, i can barely find time to read a book.

WriterMan likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh AI art is very enticing. I’ll tell you this I would never buy art. I would create AI art to my hearts content. Does that make me a bad person? Probably

5. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Since becoming a parent I've had no time to develop my art, writing, or passion projects. None.

Time and hard work is certainly a barrier for art that is skillful, but it's not one to keep us out from doing art by itself. Which is how I interpreted the other poster saying "entry on visual expression". Entry level art/expression is gonna look bad. It's not going to be professional looking. Or maybe it might. Who knows.

I feel like the people arguing for doing AI 'art' because there's some inherent barrier, are doing so mostly because they don't want to do the hard work at developing a skill that take years. It feels like people want not their own expressive art, but professional looking art. They don't have the patience or desire to express themselves in whatever manner they can and constantly strive to do better. They want the skill without the hard work and knowledge that it takes to get there. Which is why 100% of AI 'art' looks like crap.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This is a user who has a whopping two posts. That link also raises some red flags for me. First, the site is not Midjourney's official site. Second, "it is possible that the computer's security systems may falsely trigger, which is a common problem for all software that is in beta testing." Can anyone confirm this is legit? I have doubts. Mods should remove the post if it's linking to malware.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think AI video is the next step. And hopefully AI can figure out how to give humans five fingers

9. mnjedi

Nov 4, 2012
    So the value isn’t in the piece, but in the toil. The sweat, the blood, the minutes forever consigned to oblivions ever ticking clock. Even in a world where a multitude of unnamed artists having their works stolen was not revealed behind the algorithms curtain, it would still be an abomination, to put ink to paper, to create beauty from nothing, without having first paid the blood price?

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s a bit much don’t you think?

11. mnjedi

Nov 4, 2012
    Since we’ve established it’s impossible for a written description to be an act of creative expression I think we are ok.

12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    There's a saying that goes something like: it didn't take me 8 hours to make the painting. it took 20 years to learn how to make the painting in 8 hours.

To a certain extent yes. Your entire life informs your artistic expression. Every artist I know, hard work and even personal trauma makes them the artists they are. What they are expressing in their art - whether professional or private, commercial, amateur, or so called fine art, is going to be based on what that artist has experienced in their lives. That's what makes it so personal and interesting. No one else can do your art. And you're not expressing that in AI imagery. You're aping someone else's lived experiences because you want professional looking art and not entry level art.

And I got news for ya .... your 'entry level of expression art' (that you think isn't good enough or there's some inherent barrier keeping you from moving beyond) - without even seeing it here - is going to be so much more beautiful, intriguing, expressive, personal, heartfelt, meaningful than any of the AI imagery that anyone has posted here in this thread.

Rew likes this.
  13. mnjedi

Nov 4, 2012
    I think there might be a fundamental misunderstanding at play here. I don’t use AI art, I draw just enough each fall to not embarrass myself when I’m designing what I’m going to carve in my pumpkins. If I want to be creative I’ll cook or write or go fishing. It’s not even an endorsement of the quality of current AI artwork which i tend to agree with you assessment of. I’m describing the promise, the promise of being able to put out something decent without spending years putting out garbage, the barrier to entry is being willing to spend a lot of time and effort being bad before maybe becoming good. It’s the same thing with cooking, or fishing, or really any skill. If you are offering the ability to skip the part where it’s trash and you’re trash, obviously you are going to get takers.

I think we’re you and I differ is that my objection is on the grounds that it’s actually not possible whereas your position is that even if it were possible it would still be bad.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    And I think AI art is on the low end of what it will be able to do in a few years

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He'll be in a world of hurt when Inigo Montoya catches up to him.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Who doesn’t want 6 fingers?

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Ghost and Rew like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It really is that easy

19. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  20. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Lol. My teacher was showing us like 20 minutes worth of AI art. Mind you this is a team management class.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    OpenAI almost ready to release Sora, which is text to video.

Some stunning examples so far:

https://openai.com/sora

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, it still can create nice art (Google reverse image search didn't have anything close show up, which will be my new measure)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Siphonophore likes this.
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    When you generate some nice AI art, please don’t forget to post it here. Thanks in advance.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why does like every other thumbnail on YouTube need to be AI generated?