main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    EDIT- Repurposed for TV discussion, use this thread for general film discussion. TV-specific discussion begins with posts dated 12/8/17.

This thread isn't intended for reviews or reactions (like the url=http://boards.theforce.net/threads/what-was-the-last-movie-you-saw.16695712/unread]What was the Last Movie You Saw?[/url] thread, or threads for specific films/franchises)

Think of this more as a misc discussion thread for film &TV news bits that aren't worth their own thread, or are for films that wouldn't require their own thread, or even films that are no longer current or upcoming that might have an interesting piece of info, trivia or behind the scenes insight.

And away we go...

The Top Gun sequel is not going to happen following the death of Tony Scott, and also leaves Paramount a bit mixed on what to do with the anniversary 3D rerelease that was scheduled to happen (which was happening to test the waters for the sequel) and has already been completed. It may get a limited release now.

(WARNING, video is NSFW due to sculpted nude creature mockups )
    Here's a video with concept makeup designs for the vampires from I Am Legend from back when Ridley Scott was directing it with Arnold Schwarzengger starring, but before this approach was abandoned for the awful-looking CGI creatures used in the Will Smith versions.

Lastly, the new Mortal Kombat movie, based on the Legacy webseries (with the same director), is in pre-production. Budget is expected to be $40-50 million.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've started seeing ads for the Red Dawn remake. 'Bout time they released that.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    SyFy's Haven has been renewed for a fourth season.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New poster out for Obluvion, the next film from the director of Tron Legacy- GREAT poster!

[​IMG]

EDIT- Trailer is up now too:

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    eh, Tom Cruise. How good can it be? What was the last good movie he was in... I can't remember. Taps?

Netflix is making a US version of House of Cards with Kevin Spacy instead of Ian Richardson. Will be rather difficult to do the second story, since the US doesn't have a monarch. Could be interesting. Or could be a Prisoner/Survivors remake fiasco. If nothing else, it might draw attention to the original, excellent series. (hey, I'm recommending something--how often does that happen?)

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, come on- even if you don't like Cruise, he's had an extremely good past ten years: Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, Mission Impossible III, MI: Ghost Protocol, Tropic Thunder & Valkyrie were all good-to-great. War of the Worlds and Knight & Day weren't bad. Jack Reacher has had some positive advanced word. About the only misfires he's had since 2002 were Lions For Lambs and Rock of Ages- and he wasn't even the star/headliner of the latter.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New GE commercial unites some classic robots, including K.I.T.T., B-9, Robbie & Data!

Additionally, a related commercial featuring William Daniels reprising the voice of K.I.T.T.!

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry, did you suggest the Last Samurai was good?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes. It's actually one of my favorite films (though I'll admit it's been a couple years since I last popped it in).

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you enjoy the slow-mo shots of Cruise tossing his hair more than the "Tell me how he died?" "No! I will tell you how he lived" bit?

12. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    gentlemanly ladies: when i went to see the hobbit there were by my recollection eight previews beforehand and they were all, to the very last, EPIC FILMS. they were all possessed of the same awe-inspiring choral musics with a thousand climaxes, the same breathtakingly gorgeous electronically-produced set pieces and kinetic sequences and other such folderol. as the interminable bombardment of flashes and booms and swells and cries and general mayhem finally drew to a close, i found myself deep in contemplation - what in the world started all this? and where and when will it all end?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was dissapointed with my Hobbit screening's pre show: they aired no trailers at all and just went straight into the film. I'm paying for the preshow and the movie, dammit. I look forward to reexperiencing trailers (especially new ones for the coming summer) with the audiences of major holiday releases, such as TH, especially with so many good trailers they could run now that are mostly new/hardly run (IM3, Oblivion, ST, Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, etc).

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Every single time I go to the movies, there's a moment when I remember that I'm actually seeing a movie. I spend so long sitting at the pre-movie ad garbage, and then on half a dozen trailers, that it always comes as a slight shock when the previews stop, and the production title cards for the movie start, and I remember, "Oh, yeah, I'm actually here to watch Skyfall. I forgot there was a movie."

Every single time.

So I'm not sure if no previews would throw me off even more, or finally save me from trailer immersion.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's actually a great observation I've never dwelled on before- there definitely is a "oh, yeah, I'm here to see a movie" gear shift in one's mind when the feature starts.

I cant tell what you mean by that, if you could clarify: Do you contrast a bad part of the film with a good part of the film (ie: "Ok, that's NOT good?" guy vs Ledger), where one detracts from the other? Or what you perceive as two bad parts of the film, sarcastically? (ie: racist robots and robot testicles)?

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So what does anyone think about M. Night's new movie After Earth with Will Smith? I kinda want to see it, but after the epic suck-fests that were, The Happening (wha? no ma'am!) and The Last Airbender (my name is Ong) I'm a little iffy. The trailer looked pretty decent.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    M. Night Shyamalan hasn't done anything good since Unbreakable, and even that suffered because of his need for TWEEEEEESTS. I guess I'm marginally impressed he's still capable of getting produced.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Unbreakable was a great movie, but I liked Signs quite a lot too. One of Gibson's best performances, and the ending (besides the goofy "swing away" nonsense) was pretty powerful.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, his first three films were good to great. His fourth was flawed and deceptively marketed to hell and back.

After that it went downhill. Lady in the Water had potential and some good subplots (mostly the stuff featuring M Night himself) but ultimately misfired.

And The Happening was so terrible I swore off. M Night movies in theaters until he can make a couple good movies again. Air bender didn't tempt my resolve.

However, after earth actually looks good...

20. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I liked Signs myself (though I haven't seen it in years), but I have to admit that the Nostalgia Critic's complete roasting of that film was hilarious - particularly when he began dubbing the aliens. [face_laugh]

Warning - NSFW (alien dubbing at 20:07)

Darth-Lando and Ulicus like this.
  21. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    shmalaymala is a terrible hack. hopefully this movie will put his career far enough into its death spiral to make its recovery an impossibility.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm surprised he's amnaged to get anything made on a large budget after LITW underperforming and TH & TLA being eviscerated.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You underestimate the power of Will Smith. If this was a vanity project for anyone else and his son, M. Night doesn't get it made. But Will "BOX OFFICE" Smith? Sign them up.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, most certainly. I'm just surprised even Will Smith would go with M Night.

25. Palpmobile

Palpmobile Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2012
    Is true that he might direct the new Star Wars?