main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All-Encompassing Anime/Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Narutakikun, Dec 15, 2012.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm not normally a big anime watcher, but in the last few weeks I've watched all of Samurai Champloo, which I learned to love after I came to terms with it being a cartoon with stories that regularly involved prostitutes and brothels, and Baccano!, which is so complicated and features so many characters, most of which are insane in some way or other, that it shouldn't work... but it does.

I would recommend both of these anime.

Frank T. likes this.
  2. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    For those who have never seen it, Devil May Cry is a lot of fun, also.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've only seen stuff by Myazaki.

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Have you watched Cowboy Bebop?

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes, and I enjoyed it, though I don't remember what happened in the last few episodes... I need to rewatch the series, I guess.

6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Didn't they say a long time ago that they'd continue Cowboy Bebop? Maybe I'm thinking of Outlaw Star, I'm not sure.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    One word: "Bang."

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay, so I watched this film trilogy called Berserk: The Golden Age. It's an new take on an earlier anime from the late 90s*, and it's wicked good. Beautiful animation, great action, and a pretty great story too. Anyone who likes Game of Thrones would like this, since it has some similarities. The films just came out in 2012 and 2013, so only the first two have English dubs right now, so you're better off just watching all three in Japanese.

*It's actually a direct adaptation of the manga, which started in 1990, but (I haven't seen the anime, so this is hearsay) it's supposedly better than the TV show.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    One punch man.

An unbeatable hero who suffers ennui.

It has some odd characters - one is called puri puri prisoner. He is into rape. Also, he's one of the good guys.

10. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    My favorite anime:

Kantai Collection
    Akiba's Trip
    Prison School
    NaNa
    Evangelion
    Space Battleship Yamato

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm more into anime films than series, but as far as series are concerned, I really liked Gunslinger Girl. A more recent series that I had just come across and liked is Girls Und Panzer; but I'm not sure if there's gonna be another season unfortunately.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My favorite is an oldie - Galaxy Express 999. One of the UHF channels near New York City showed it in the late 70s/early 80s. First episodes had no subtitles so I was a bit confused but loved the show. (Still do since I found the episodes online). The station gave away posters of the train taking off with Maetel's image against a starry background and the title (in Japanese and English) at the bottom. I still have mine hanging on the wall. I wasn't too crazy about the English language film later made, however.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Five years later, I would like to go whole hog on this with "Gurren Lagann is bad, actually."

You know what's not bad? Pop Team Epic.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've been told Ichigo is a bad person

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I just finished watching Sword of the Stranger for the first time. What a fantastic little gem of a movie. It piqued my interest when I learned it was directed by Masahiro Andô, who was a key animator on the Cowboy Bebop movie, and I had been looking for a copy for a while. It seems that it only recently got released in the UK, despite having been initially released in 2007.

As expected, the animation was superb (outside of some questionable CGI at points), and everything culminates in an emotional and memorable climax.

There's something about how the music swells as No-Name breaks his vow and unsheathes his sword to rescue Kotaro that brought a tear to the eye.

I'm definitely glad I've gotten around to watching it.

16. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    *Resurrects Thread*
    Anybody else watching Goblin Slayer or Black Clover?

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Such a tragedy. I had just seen "Liz and the Blue Bird" on video last month, and would swear by "A Silent Voice"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Is there anyone who's watching Baki on Netflix ?

At the beginning I was skeptical, since I didn't think I'd care particularly about a violent show where they just fight all the time, but I decided to give it a try and so far I am really enjoying it. I just think it's beautifully made.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I read exactly three chapters of Grappler Baki when it was being serialized in the US in the short-lived but weirdly influential on my tastes Raijin Comics, and they all involved a guy whose fighting style involved literally severing his opponents nerves, and then later I found out that was considered comparatively mild. The thought of watching that in motion is terrifying, for some reason it bugs me a lot more to have that anatomically explicit idea of dismantling an opponent than generic Hokuto head explosions. :p

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Ramza
    Yeah, it's extremely violent, but the violence is so over the top and cartoon-ish that for some reason it didn't bother me.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm usually fine with it, is the odd thing. Something about the visual depiction of pulling a nerve cord out of an arm, slicing it, and then Baki's arm just going limb really ****ing got to me. I guess it's a testament to Itagaki's artwork?

3sm1r likes this.
  23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I believe it is.
    I see the whole work as a sort of celebration of the human body, including the destruction of it. He created this weird world full of ubermensch characters who keep tearing each other into pieces and laughing about it.
    Since the pilot episode, the villains of the first season have one single purpose, that strangely is not to win, but to "taste defeat".

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Really rolling through SAO S3 these last few days. I really liked S1 but S2 Gun Gale thing destroyed my like of this show and I then had to get through the 2nd half of the season it has taken me a hell of a long time to do that on Netflix and S3 has been on my Dvr for over a year waiting. In 2 days I’ve blown through almost 15 eps... loving Underworld arc!

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Have you seen the end of the latest season on Netflix?

So, just rewatched the first episode of Attack on Titan. Is the first half of the first season one of the most horrifying TV shows ever made or what?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.