main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anthony Daniels (See-Threepio) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Loved his delivery of the friends line

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He's obviously doing something to make Poe ask him that in the trailer. So I think people speculating are right that he's going through his memories one last time. So the line is probably not directly aimed at the ST trio.

Darth Droid and Siphonophore like this.
  3. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Right. And they might've used another take by Poe to enhance the vibe in the trailer. Like with Han and Chewie entering the Falcon in TFA, the trailer used another take with a more serious line delivery for greater impact.
    Just a thought.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think he is talking about the ST trio. you want C3P0 to care about the new generation characters. you want to at least give off the impression they are a team who have been together for a long time.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  5. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I really love the idea that he's going through his old memories. Such an easy nostalgia play but could be so powerful to see C3PO seeing clips of the old movies. Would make me cry for sure.

GregMcP likes this.
  6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Isn't it just to erase his memory rather than give him back the memory? and even then it would be like

C3P0: Oh my goodness. i remember everything
    Rey: Cool. can we erase his memory now?

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Here's my theory about C-3PO's scene from the trailer. I think our heroes need a specific memory of his from the time before when his memory was wiped at the end of ROTS. Maybe they are seeking a memory/info related to Anakin or Palpatine even, but anyway this little droidsmith knows how to access memories that were thought to be wiped, but the catch is that doing so will wipe the droid's current memory, and that's why 3PO is saying goodbye before they go in and get his old memory bank.

Sub-theory: JJ will use this "search through 3PO's memory" to not only pay humage to Lucas' original idea of the droids being the storytellers of the saga, but also to show the audience brief glimpses of things in the past—Anakin and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars, perhaps Padme, something of Leia and Han from ESB, etc.—we may even see outtakes from the OT for a few seconds here. Thoughts?

8. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    That sounds perfectly reasonable, and something I would want to see happen.

devilinthedetails and Rodie like this.
  9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Just wanted to comment that if Threepio dies as much as a droid can die or ends up sacrificing himself as the trailer hints at, I will probably cry. Threepio along with Artoo has been our chorus, our anchoring and constant presence throughout the saga, and so to lose him will hurt at least for me. Also, if Threepio goes, we lose a valuable translator of Artoo's sass=((

In terms of the scene in the trailer, I thought that he was probably recalling memories with old friends (perhaps characters from both the PT and the OT--if we see those memories, that could tie the saga together and emphasize how Threepio has played that role of a chorus along with Artoo) since he must have been looking weird to prompt that question from Poe. I also do think that he might have been referring to the characters from the ST as well especially if these characters have had some time to bond with Threepio in the film. That would be another way of connecting the different generations and linking the saga together through Threepio, our chorus along with Artoo.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  10. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    I'd love that idea although JP hasn't mentioned anything like that. It would be a great way to not only tie the three trilogies together but also get a brief glimpse of Padme, since we probably won't ever see her again or get a mention of her in this film.

Rodie and devilinthedetails like this.
  11. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    It seems like a very JJ thing to do, and a good technological reason for a flashback in Star Wars.

jeangreyforever and Lulu Mars like this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Did Chewie leave any part of Threepio on Cloud City, they did leave in a bit of a hurry...

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Since what they're after is the ability to translate the writing on the dagger, it is entirely possible that Threepio had that ability before the mindwipe, which makes it necessary for them to access data from that time - and that this results in a flashback montage.
    This may even have been an idea that GL came up with when JJ consulted him, as a way to recap the Saga in a visual and emotionally resonant way that makes narrative sense.

themoth, jeangreyforever and Roosterq like this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Flashbacks would be great. Hopefully that happens.

15. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Anthony Daniels: “I think [Disney] did overstep the mark and got overenthusiastic [with the number of Star Wars movie releases]. People became satiated. Star Wars went full tilt and overfed the audience.” “People will say [Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker] is the film we actually wanted to see.” “I think [the new film] will refresh and please a lot of people. Then maybe there will be a break.” (October 20, 2019)

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    There is no need for a break. Make good movies and people will go to see it.

17. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but ever since the trailer dropped I’ve been thinking that the C-3PO scene in the trailer is just a massive red herring and R2 will actually be the main droid that we lose.

R2 is missing from a lot of the shots of the whole gang (other droids included)

Why show a major character’s death (memory wipe most likely in this case, I know) in a trailer?

It all stinks of misdirection for me.

18. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Unless R2D2 has multiple personalities he has one friend--the others are dead. I'm not counting time jump friendships with Finn, Poe, and Rey.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure that if 3PO's memory is erased, rewound, reprogrammed, whatever, it can also be undone.

He can be converted into a Terminator for the climactic battle scene, and then turned back into his regular doofus self at the end. A little happy moment.

themoth likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It needs to be a literal deus ex machina. Anakin's Force ghost inhabits Threepio's body to go full Battle Bots against Sidious. He built Threepio for this very reason. Everything has actually gone how Anakin has foreseen it.

darthfettus2015, Snokers and GregMcP like this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Artoo is there at the final battle over Exogol. Do you really think that they will kill off Poe and Artoo?

22. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Hmm I couldn’t see him.

Yeah I think it’s entirely possible Poe could perish. Quite likely actually.

23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    It's known that JJ was going to kill him off originally in TFA. Think he'll get his way

Snokers likes this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Daniels was just on BBC's The One Show , he seemed to be saying it was farewell , but then again he's said goodbye twice before...

25. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Agreed, I'm guessing Threepio stops talking and like stare off as his eyes blink or something, and there will be a pregnant pause, which then Poe breaks with his question...

As far as this being his last appearance, I do think we will get Daniels voicing Threepio again in things, whether for a Disney+ series cameo or Galaxy's Edge stuff etc, maybe a new animated show?

He's even hinted at their being something else coming that "we don't know about yet."

But in terms of him being on set or location in the gold suit, yes I think he's done with that. He's in his 70s now with no movies on the horizon that would even hint at including the famous droid, so it seems like a good time for him to bid adieu to acting on screen in projects. But sure he could lend his voice to Threepio really easily just hopping into the the vocal booth.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.