main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Astonishing' Mod Squad Update (Week Ending 08/11/02)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Son of the Suns, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Mod Squad Update: August 5 - August 11, 2002

[b][color=blue]New Rule: No Politics in Sigs[/color][/b]

After some discussion, we unanimously decided to add a new rule to our terms of service:

[blockquote]Signatures may not include any political commentary, overt or otherwise. The Senate Floor is intended as the only forum in the JC for political discussion. The administration reserves the right to ask for all or part of a signature to be removed, if it is decided that it is interpretable as a political statement. This is regardless of whether or not it was intended as such. Failure to remove all or part of a signature when asked could result in your banning from the forums.[/blockquote]

[b][color=blue]Promotions and Vacations[/color][/b]

[ul][li]After some hesitation, [b]Padme Bra[/b] finally accepted the position of Administrator. Congrats and good luck to him. :)[/li][/ul]

[ul][li][b]Kadue[/b] officially stepped down as Administrator. As he did when he temporarily resigned earlier this year, his choice was to be demoted to regular user and not be given VIP status. We wish him good luck as he faces the perils of Real-Life.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li][b]Darth Asabrush[/b] was promoted as the new RSA for the FanForce British Isles region. Congrats and good luck to him, also. :)[/li][/ul]

[ul][li][b]Darth Dark Helmet[/b] apologized for not being around much and announced that he'll be on vacation this week.[/li][/ul]

[b][color=blue]Sticking it to the Man[/color][/b]

Two sticky thread ideas were proposed; one for the Non-Spoiler forum and one for YJCC. These threads may or may not see the light of day.

[b][color=blue]...Won't You Guess My Name[/color][/b]

It was decided that usernames impersonating Satan (or any other religious figure) will no longer be considered appropriate for the JC.

[b][color=blue]An Offer We Couldn't Refuse[/color][/b]

When [b]Son of the Suns[/b] woke up on Thursday morning, he was shocked to find the dismembered head of an unidentified serial troll lying on his bed. Attached to it was a note that read "VIP or RIP. Regards, [b]The Modfather[/b]". The Modfia Don was quickly given VIP status, to avoid any further bloodshed.

[b][color=blue]Song Parody of the Week[/color][/b]

This week, we have a double-header of [b]SotS[/b]' Beatle parodies: "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (brand new) and "Hey Jude" (a repost).

[i]Here I stand, IP banned
    At the JC board
    If I'm gone I can't go on
    Feeling so bored
    Everywhere people stare
    each and every day
    I can see them laugh at me
    And I hear them say

Hey you've got to hide your posts away
    Hey you've got to hide your posts away

How can I even try?
    I can never win
    Reading them, seeing them
    In the state I'm in
    How could she say to me
    "Posts will find a way"?
    Gather round, trolls and clowns
    Let me hear you say

Hey, you've got to hide your posts away
    Hey, you've got to hide your posts away[/i]

--------------------

[i]Hey Newb, don't make it bad
    Take a bad thread and make it better
    Remember to learn about the JC's past
    Then you can start to make it better
    Hey Newb, don't be afraid
    You were made to come and post here
    The minute you let it under you skin
    Then you begin to make it better

And any time you feel a flame
    Hey Newb, refrain, don't carry the board upon your shoulder
    For well you know, that it's a troll who plays it cool
    By making his world, a little colder
    Da da da da da da da da da

Hey Newb, don't let me down
    You have found it, now go and post more
    Remember that politics tear us apart,
    Then you can start to make it better

So let it out and let it in
    Hey Newb, begin, you're waiting for someone to post with
    And don't you know that it's just you
    Hey Newb, you'll do
    The great thread you need is on your shoulder
    Na na na na na na na na na yeh

Hey Newb, don't make it bad
    Take a bad thread and make it better
    Remember to let it under you skin
    Then you'll begin to make it better,

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

well.. that was a pretty good update...

i guess it's been a slow week :p ;)

thanks for another wonderful Beatles parody :)

3. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Yes, it's been a very slow week. The 'Astonishing' in the title is meant as an homage to the old Member Updates and is not a description of the contents of this Mod Squad Update. :p

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

And would you believe people spend their time trying to get into that forum to read this astonishing stuff?

;)

5. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    I just like MOD SPAM...you know, "white on rice" sort of stuff.

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed. <-this message is getting on my nerves. I forgot it existed for a while...

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Great update :)

Even better Beatles parody :) :)

Kit

7. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Yes, I am particularly impressed by the evidence of the ongoing discussion on cleaning up the JCC.

Way to go [face_plain]

8. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed. <-this message is getting on my nerves. I forgot it existed for a while...

It seems the worm has turned. [face_devil]

New Rule: No Politics in Sigs

Yay censorship! [face_plain]

//BANED!

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The Senate Floor is intended as the only forum in the JC for political discussion.

If I may point out the senate floor is also the only forum in the JC for religious discussion.

May we expect a banning of religious statements in sigs?

One might also wonder if this unanimous decision will effect everyone equally or only those whose politics the mod disagrees with.

10. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Well a few really dumb ideas stick out:

"Signatures may not include any political commentary, overt or otherwise. The Senate Floor is intended as the only forum in the JC for political discussion. The administration reserves the right to ask for all or part of a signature to be removed, if it is decided that it is interpretable as a political statement. This is regardless of whether or not it was intended as such. Failure to remove all or part of a signature when asked could result in your banning from the forums."

There's one.

"It was decided that usernames impersonating Satan (or any other religious figure) will no longer be considered appropriate for the JC."

And there's another.

11. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with SOK on this issue.

12. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    The Modfather is a VIP? Hmmm...the mystery continues....

13. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    Perhaps someone can give a good reason for allowing politicised signatures on a Star Wars messageboard? I see none.

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm confused here, was this rule put into place before Vaderbait's banning and no one was told about it or afterwards to retroactively validate it?

15. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks for the update. I feel safer knowing The Modfather is a VIP. ;)

16. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Perhaps someone can give a good reason for allowing politicised signatures on a Star Wars messageboard? I see none.

Can you give a good reason for allowing sigs at all?

Can you give a good reason for not allowing political sigs?

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Can any one give me a good reason why there's a forum dedicated to political and religious debate on a SW message board?

No?

Well it appears to be there anyways.

Down with senate!

Eppure si muove

18. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    You guys better get to work banning everyone with a "Vote for Sick Monster Bastard Freak" sig. [face_mischief]

19. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Greenie, what is political? There could be so many different comments that could be called political.

If I had a memorial for September 11, wouldnt that be political? After all, the attack wasnt just killing people, but it was also a political statement.

A member recently had a comment in his sig saying Peace to Israel. Isnt that political?

Under these rules, good natured sigs will have to go.

Its fine by me, because my sig isnt political in any way.

But a blanket ban on political sigs is going to be a bit of a bother. If you start exempting different sigs, then that just becomes a matter of personal preference for the mods. What is the point of a rule then?

20. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Signatures may not include any political commentary, overt or otherwise. The Senate Floor is intended as the only forum in the JC for political discussion. The administration reserves the right to ask for all or part of a signature to be removed, if it is decided that it is interpretable as a political statement. This is regardless of whether or not it was intended as such. Failure to remove all or part of a signature when asked could result in your banning from the forums.

I really disagree with this one. I understand that some people may put inflammatory statements in sigs just to cause a ruckus, but I don't see how intelligent, thoughtful comments or links could be a problem. Removal of provocative statements, sure. But a blanket prohibition?

For example, I have a friend that has a link to a 9/11 memorial site. Would that be considered political? And political in what sense? US politics only? Global politics?

If I put a link in my sig for NOW, would that be considered political?

I know I?m taking this a bit far, but does this mean that FF groups can?t do events that might be considered political in some sense?

21. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    "Can you give a good reason for allowing sigs at all?"

If you don't want one, get rid of it.

"Can you give a good reason for not allowing political sigs?"

They have the potential to cause arguments and offence unecesarily. This has already happened, and that is why this rule has been brought in.

22. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    "One might also wonder if this unanimous decision will effect everyone equally or only those whose politics the mod disagrees with."

The rule clearly states "no politics". Anything that may cause a Senate Floor-ish argument is off-limits.

"For example, I have a friend that has a link to a 9/11 memorial site. Would that be considered political?"

Commemorating a tragedy has nothing to do with politics.

23. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the update SotS. :)

24. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    HEll, why not ban signatures mentioning the EU? After all, that's what the lit forum is for. Or what about sigs about TPM, or AOTC, they have their own forum, there's no need to bring it out of there. [face_plain]

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    If we're going to start removing things that have the potential to cause offence then I suggest we start with the draconian laws on political sigs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.