main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I liked Godzilla: Final Wars as well.
    It was a fun ride. Loved all the various monsters and the crazy editing.

Master_Lok, BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The problem with Final Wars is the problem with most Godzilla films: too much time spent on a weak sci-fi plot, though by the standards of weak Godzilla sci fi plots it’s polite enough to be really over the top. Unfortunately for its reception, it’s still not really a top tier entry in the franchise even though it was positioned as if it ought to be (under no circumstances would it make my top ten, for example).

All that said, one character is basically bootleg Mike Haggar only speaking in subtitled English with no justification, and Kaiser Ghidorah is a goddamn skull-headed energy vampire; therefore, it owns.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I want to see both of those films, because I'd like to know how Quint won the Orca, and how Miyagi met Chewbacca.

As for others...

After seeing The Godfather, I always wondered about Vito Corleone's early life.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, there's a Metropolis series in the works that is "pre-meeting Superman" Lois Lane and most likely about her rise as a reporter. However, I'm not sure if there will be any backflashes or glimpses into her childhood.

Superman Prequel Drama Series ‘Metropolis’ About Lois Lane & Lex Luthor Ordered By DC Digital Service

I really liked Netflix's animated Godzilla feature, but I'm not sure that fans that hated Godzilla (2014) would like this film because it has same problem of not having Godzilla front and center/a lot of footage of the monster. Netflix's Godzilla is a wonderful science fiction story where Godzilla is pretty much the plot device for the story rather than a character, but the humans characters and plot held my attention and investment.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    In the original Superman movie, isn't there a scene where Lois is on a train with her guardian/parent when she points out to them about the boy running so fast in those fields in Kansas?

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's been a couple of years since I've seen the original film, so don't remember if there was or not. Still a full fledged stand alone Lois film would be great.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I saw that but the ages don't exactly quite work as Clark was in high school during scene and Lois looked about elementary school age; which is an age difference of about 7-10 years. I believe in Donner's Superman flicks, Lois is older than Clark by at least two years.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hopefully I'll see Christopher Robin this weekend, as the trailers have charmed the pants off me already.

But no critic reviews yet...

I think this is the first Ewan film I've seen in the cinema since ROTS.

10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Boris the Blade (from Snatch). A KGB agent establishing his reputation as impossible to kill as he adopts an every man for himself attitude while the Soviet Union transitions into it's "former" status.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Is it ever established that Lois is older than Clark ? I never heard that .

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Nope, it was never established in the film as far as I can remember. It was just my assumption because about the time Clark shows up in Metropolis and meets Lois at the Daily Planet, Lois is a seasoned reporter with seemingly years of experience, whereas Clark was just a rookie as this was his first reporting job and venture outside of Smallville. Plus in real life, Margot Kidder was four years older than Christopher Reeve. And many iterations of the two characters that I've come across, Lois always seemed to be older than Clark.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    can't remember where I got this but - I think 10 years passes between Clark building the fortress and arriving at Metropolis . he must've been a reporter elsewhere before The Planet .

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Jor-El says that twelve years will pass between Clark's construction of the fortress and the end of this "education." Now, it could still be even later by the time Clark arrives in Metropolis.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Godzilla vs Zilla thing was hyped up at the time so it was a little unfortunate that it was over so quickly even though G taking him down so fast was satisfying on a different level. Too bad they couldn't have that fight in NYC, though.

Final Wars was fun but I have to agree with Ramza here:

It has a very Power Rangers-meets-Matrix vibe to the sci-fi plot.

Strangely enough, they met on Mimban.

I haven't had the chance to watch GF2 or 3 yet but don't those films cover that territory of the character's history?

Yep- I believe the scene is in every version of the movie but the child being identified as Lois Lane is cut out of most versions except the recent Extended Edition.

[​IMG]

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

3 doesn't, incidentally; it's just a sequel, and a lousy one at that.

The2ndQuest and Diggy like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    <3 Ramza

Ramza likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=[face_rofl]=D=

I will definitely rent it. Interesting that Ewan will be playing two grown up versions of famous child characters (Christopher Robin and Danny from The Shining (in Doctor Sleep). Looking forward to seeing him in both, but now I cannot unsee Pooh as Grievous.[face_laugh]

PCCViking likes this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Funny, I can’t unsee Greivous as Pooh.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Has anyone heard of this streaming site called, "Kanopy"? I got an email the other day from my local library that they're now involved with it and anyone with a card can sign up and use it. You can choose from quite a vast selection of movies spanning multiple genres. I assume every signup varies; but my library allows for 10 movies to stream per month off the site.

https://www.kanopy.com/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I have an account for school, but my university has no titles I’d like to stream through the service. So it will be a class specific account for me. Hope you get some use from it.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You mean the individual schools/libraries select the titles that are available? That's interesting. I just thought all of the movies available were all of the ones that the side had; period.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Not sure what the options are for public libraries, but for my university it is select titles.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I just need to figure out how I could use it on my TV. I don't have a Smart TV; so I could see if there's an app within Amazon's Roku, or my old internet-ready Blu-Ray player, or my PS4.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Per the website

Available on: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: I did not make them big...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018