main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Battle of the Planets

“It’s not going to be a direct adaptation of the series,” Russo said of Battle of the Planets. “It’s going to be our own story that we tell surrounding a group of genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war… That could take months of gestating, and trying to figure out what the new mythology is. And then we commit that to a bible, and then from that bible we do some artwork as exploration, and once we have artwork that we’re inspired by we then commit that to a script. So we’re in the bible phase for Battle of the Planets at the moment.”

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Watched Color Out of Space last nite. ****ing excellent. Definitely something to double feature with Mandy. Some wonky CGI in places, but beyond that excellent.

The only thing I’ve ever watched of Stanley’s was his “hardware” and I was young young. Early 90’s, right when it hit VHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh please--please...give me my Science Ninja Team in their birdstyle, sporting early '70s hair and clothes

Get rid of the 7 Zark 7, 1 Rover 1 and Susan bunk. I don't care what they do with Galactor... space wars are fine, just keep the avian kick a$$ kids intact please.

There is so much they could do with this...I am open to villain and story changes, but not radically changing the Science Ninja Team.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  6. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So I'm doing the inevitable: I'm watching Cats.

Yes, Cats..

That Cats movie.

I'm at Taylor Swift fulfilling her cat fantasy part song.

Honestly, the music at parts so far isn't bad in parts. Like mangojerry and rumple teaser, Gus the cat by a heartfelt performance by Gandalf.

But I'm bored, and the movie makes no sense plot wise. I'll update when done.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I've said this about a zillion times: the movie adaptation is almost 100% faithful to the Broadway production.

I went to Cats at the Winter Garden theater on Broadway as a young girl and understood the story 100%. Surely, it cannot be that challenging? :p

Iron_lord and Dagobahsystem like this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Are people ever going to be able to say something bad about Cats without you responding?

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    DP.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I haven't seen Cats anywhere, but I'm willing to see any version. I've heard some of the music and it's fine.
    Not really my cup of tea, but happy if people like it.

Yeah wrong thread, but here's my brief review of my latest rewatch of:

The Fellowship of the Ring

Still as brilliant as it ever was.

Everytime I rewatch it I think, is this picture really in my top 5 films of all time?

And every single time the answer is a resounding YES!

On every level of filmmaking, this is truly one of the most beautiful, exciting, suspenseful, and emotional films ever made.
    Imho.

Hadn't seen it in a couple years, but I'll have to change that starting now.

This movie holds up proudly alongside anything in the genre by GL, Spielberg, Kubrick, and everyone, and anyone of their imitators.

The Fellowship of the Ring is a true masterpiece.

Highly recommended viewing for all movie fans.

10/10

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Do you prefer the theatrical or the extended version?

Iron_lord and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I always watch the EEs for the LOTR trilogy.
    But I'm always a sucker for more content in films I really like.

If there were somehow a new 3 hour version of TESB, that would probably become my new go to lol.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can probably get it to 2:20. Not as many deleted scenes for that one, though ;).

Princess_Tina and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Ooh. You made or might make a version with the deleted scenes?

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Willy Wonka and the Horror Factory

Dagobahsystem, Juliet316 and Ramza like this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There was a version of this concept where they just used the entire tunnel scene. Because of course they did.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- I have my own fan edits of almost all the movies either already made or planned out for when I find the time. I don't distribute them, but I may make a discussion walkthrough video (or video series) of them one day, as a lens for analyzing the films.

While most of them edit down the movies and/or add back in certain deleted scenes, I have a series of secondary edits in mind that add every scrap of footage back in (and, possibly, footage from other sources, like video game cut scenes and animated content) that would become "Super Star Wars", "Super Empire Strikes Back" & "Super Return of the Jedi".

Dagobahsystem and Princess_Tina like this.
  18. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Update on cats:

Yeah, boring and bored. I got over the cat cgi thing pretty quick. But this shows some things are better for stage.

Just be warned if you watch this, you'll have one of two urges. One, to find a cat or your cat and apologize while hugging it to soothe the pain.

Or you'll want to punch a cat in the face.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Happy 80th birthday, Al Pacino.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Looks like just because a couple govenrors want movie theaters open soon doesn't mean it will happen even in those states:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ess/media/coronavirus-movie-theaters.amp.html

Even if it was safe to open movie theaters back up again in June nationally, it take at least a month to work out logistics, rehire staff, redesign movie halls for social distancing, workout concession and bathrooms (which I think will be a bigger challenge then the seating charts), etc.

I really think we won't see movie theaters open up again to August or at best mid/end July. And I wouldn't be shocked if some big budget tentpole films like Wonder Woman and Tenant are pushed back even further just to make sure people are willing to come out and see movies again with all the modifications or even if they are would be worth it knowing seat capacity is not going to be near what it normally is. I guess if they stagger releases between now and end of the year more so films can run longer in the theater therefore in theory have longer legs to help with $$$. So Wonder Woman 1984 wouldn't go near it's opening weekend numbers it normally would (assuming it opens in August which WB says they are targeting still) it could make up for if it runs longer and doesnt have as much competition thanks to better staggering which could be the case since they are in this together.

Regardless though while a few politicians want them all open now, reality it's the movie theaters and the studios who are saying no until a few months from now *fingers crossed*.

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Watched Under The Skin for the first time.

Ok so I really liked this.

The basic idea seems to be an alien device used to...harvest?...dudes seems to take on free will. It seems the first girl was a previous device and ScarJo comes along and replaces her via the motorcycle guy.
    Thanks to that and a scene with 3 bikers there are apparently many of these devices at work at a given time.
    Slowly she tries to be more human. She lets one of the victims live, she wanders off and tries food and sex. The scene where she apparently finds out she does not have a functioning vagina is startling. Finally this closes with essentially a predator becoming prey. It appears the biker went zooming to find her but she met her end before he could do so.
    The all white and all black rooms seem to be abstractions for the viewer. I think perhaps the white room where one girl is switched for another is showing you not only the visual of her taking the clothing but possibly an upload? Perhaps one too many uploads leads to free will?
    The victims do not appear to so the all black room. I suppose this can be scene as some form of hypnotism from the predator or the room itself, and I suspect the room itself, so the victim just wanders into the trap.
    I understand this did not do well at the box office which is a shame, it's a good flick.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Agree to disagree... while I can totally see why the premise in its entirety might not be everyone's cup of tea, I'm glad they made the movie and that it was so faithful to the original, it really allowed me to enjoy it all over again like I did when I was a kid, it was my first big Broadway musical and obviously it was one of the most magical days of my life. They even had the actor playing Old Deutoronomy up in the stage during the intermission saying hi to all the kids, we just came up to him and he gave us a hug and autographed the program.

People who don't love the original stage musical probably should never watch the movie adaptations, I'm beginning to become convinced this goes for all of the popular Broadway musicials ever made - and some of the other adaptations are much worse than the original. Rent? Great production, horrible movie. Same goes for a lot of others, except possibly Mamma Mia. At least the movie version gave us scenes actually filmed on location.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He just added in all the scenes he cut from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The2ndQuest and Dagobahsystem like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Well, it'd be easy enough to do. Unlike Kubrick, *I* don't destroy footage after I remove it.

[​IMG]

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oscars finally did it, they are considering VOD only movies for awards

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/new-oscar-rules-movies-not-in-theaters-1234591702/

With a prevision that it was *intended* to be released in theatres

Instead, films will be allowed to be released digitally without playing in theaters. However, that doesn’t mean any movie premiering on a streaming service is eligible for Oscar gold. To be considered, the streamed film must have already had a planned theatrical release. The film must also be made available on the Academy Screening Room member-only streaming site within 60 days of the film’s streaming or VOD release.