main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    For the record. Begins had some of my favorite actors. Morgan , Liam , Gary , Rutger , and I really am starting to like Cristian Bale.

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Bale rocks, from Empire of the Sun to Swing Kids to Newsies to The machinest to Batman. The guy has serious range.

I love Morgan Freeman to death, but he pretty much always plays the moral center.

3. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Jake Gyllenhal is in talks apparently to play Harvey Dent, and he could work as Two-Face too. Joker...now that's a tough tough call. We'd need somebody who can do CRAZY well and not forced.

4. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I finally saw Begins recently and didn't enjoy it. I can't remember particulars. Gary Oldman was good in it, though.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Gyntehall seems too young and not physically imposing enough to be Dent

Joaugin Phoenix or Liev Schriber are names that have been thrown around that I like. Anywho I don`t think we`ll be seeing Two-Face in this anyway just Harvey Dent.

Joker my preference would be Glover but I think Brody will most likely get the role.

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Bob Hoskins are the popular rumors to get the role of the Penguin according to Wikipedia and both would be absolutley outstanding if cast

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Oh yeah its not even close. Leo is a much bigger name then any one of them.

Might not be what you want to hear but its true. I'll admit it may not be as true as a year or two ago but ask a 16 year old who Michael Caine is and you'd get a blank stare. In terms of name alone Leo is much bigger then anyone of them. Like I said, they're all high quality actors just not names.

The point was that Leo is a name. You didn't have a single big name in a leading role for BB and it didn't hurt the movie in any way.

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^What are you talking about? The entire cast is pretty big name. Leam Neeson - big name. Gary Oldman - very big name. Everyone knows who Morgan Freeman is.

Christian Bale was one name on the cast that I bet a few people went "Huh?" at.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    A. The point never was that they weren't well known actors in their own right. The point is that you gave two people that are "names" in Hollywood and tried equating them to the cast in Batman Begins. There is no comparison.

Name a blockbuster where Oldman had the lead...

Name a blockbuster where Neeson had the lead... (and no SW doesn't count)

Both have been in great movies and there is no doubt that especially in certain circles they are quite well loved but neither are opening movies. When you talk Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio you are talking people that open movies on name alone and command the pay that goes with that. Don't get me wrong Oldman has always been one of my favorite actors, he's a fracking chameleon, but for the most part he's "that guy in that movie with that other guy".

B. The second point was that none of them were the lead. Having two RBS as the lead villains when neither have any kind of relation to the characters you suggest is completely different then a few "pretty big names" in supporting roles. If you had Brad Pitt playing Batman and Tom Cruise as Scarecrow then you could attribute the success of the movie to the big name draws who begged their way into the movie but as it is now you have not one "Huh?" but two "Huh?"s.

The movie succeeded due to the strength of the characters and the actors ability to fit the role rather then taking it over. Not because Nolan cast some big names [face_plain]

9. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Yes. I realise that. But did you ever notice that the films Tom Hanks in aren't all blockbusters either, nor Leo Decaprio?

Tom Hanks has starred in some bombs, and midly sucessful films.

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Thats neither here nor there.

The fact still remains that even for those "bombs" they got paid more then the rest of the cast of Batman Begins combined. Its not because they're the greatest actors ever its because they sell tickets by name alone. Its not always a guarantee but little in life is.

11. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    There's only one choice for the joker for me - Christopher Eccleston

[image=http://www.thestage.co.uk/images/pics/6954.jpg]

He's proved he can do the serious/crazy role with his stint as Doctor Who, and he's got an absolutely perfect look.

Seems some others have the same idea -

[image=http://walford.smugmug.com/photos/32090031-M.jpg]

[image=http://walford.smugmug.com/photos/31974838-M.jpg]

12. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I really lieks him in Gone in 60 Seconds

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    that would be a good choice for joker

14. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I think I read somewhere that Eccleston really doesn't like doing big budget projects and didn't like his role in Gone In 60 Seconds.

However I must say that it would be cool to see Eccleston play the role.

Though there are gonna be people who will complain no matter who is chosen to play The Joker.

15. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I say they get anyone to play the part and wear the makeup, but get Mark Hamill to dub the voice. So far as I'm concerned, Mark is the definitive Joker.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. hamill did a great job of the voice of joker in the animated series. i think he'd do a good job of voicing him in the movie. it might be a little wierd though seeing an actor with a different voice though

17. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    It wouldn't be the first time. In the premier episode of that horrible WB show (Birds of Prey?) about Batman's daughter and Batgirl, they had a scene with the Joker killing off Catwoman, and paralyzing Batgirl ala Killing Joke. The guy was made up to look more like the Joker from the comics than Jack Nicholson, but the voice was Mark Hamill's.

18. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    That would be hard to synch properly. Eccleston would be cool, but I can't see him doing a good voice.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Computers are amazing things. They made a pig talk after all, I don't think they would have any trouble syncing up one actors voice to a different body. I don't know if they would but they probably could.

20. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Boner from Growing Pains

21. Minder

May 28, 2002
    Actually I think Mark could actually PLAY the joker quite well with a good amkeup artist. The only problem is that he is a bit old now.

22. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

so basically you want the new Batman movie to pull a trick that a very substandard WB series attempted? Just cast Glover and forget abput it

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i wonder when filming will start. probably in Summer of 2007. besides Joker and Two-Face being used in the next 2 movies what other villains do you think would be good for this series if they go beyond 2 sequels? i wouldn't mind seeing a take on Mr. Freeze

24. Minder

May 28, 2002
    Whatever villian they use, I hop to god they dont kill him off in 1 show.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. i don't want to have an awesome villain in for one movie and just killed off at the end. that's what i didn't like about Spiderman 2. they killed the Doc Ock off and make him go all noble at the end. he's supposed to be a die hard villain. but that's for another thread.