main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Behind the Scenes of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TCF-1138 , May 13, 2020.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Do you still have it shareable?

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Does he mean the literal Rise of Skywalker JJ script or just EP 9?

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The overall feel that TROS is a largely passionless production by a bunch of professionals who likely disagree on what direction to go, but agree on a purely mercenary process to get something out in theaters, seems to hold true.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Filmmaking to appease the "Almighty Shareholder".

7. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i think that's unfair. I think cast and crew would've been desperate to honor Carrie with their art, particularly her daughter and friends. I think it way too easy to be cynical

Tommytom and Resistance_Man like this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, they may have wanted to, but you have to remember that honoring an actor who passed comes in at a very distant second to keeping the shareholders happy. At the end of the day, THAT is their responsibility, and primary concern. This is BIG business filmmaking, not an indie film passion project. That doesn't mean that passion can't be there, but this thing was GOING to come out on time, no matter what. The mandate was to get it out, and finish the story, without completely damaging the IP for further profitability. JJ is well known for being able to cut corners, and move a production along quickly, while still producing successful "crowd pleasers". It's why he keeps getting hired. As long as the films are profitable the shareholders are happy, and so is the studio.

9. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i remember being so overwhelmed with the surprise Han scene. you could feel the love pouring out of the screen. up there with iam your father scene in ESB. I admit ROS is a patchwork of messy superfast b movie pulp but I really love it

Tommytom, Kaat and ewoksimon like this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, I think the people involved with the ST definitely love Star Wars, or at least the OT, but that has to take a back seat if the production starts having trouble and the release date is threatened. That's just the nature of the business. You're very lucky that you were able to enjoy the film, despite the production issues. I actually think TROS is the most entertaining film of the ST, but it also has the most problems, and it's production problems show in the final product.

Shadao and darthfettus2015 like this.
  11. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    As terrible as TROS is, I have to give Abrams credit for how he handled Carrie's role. It was the best possible solution to the problems presented by her death.

I don't see how that squares with bringing back Palpatine, undoing Anakin's sacrifice, and making Rey Palpatine's granddaughter.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Because they made bad choices, imo. Just because they think something won't damage the IP doesn't mean they're right. They're human. They can make mistakes. JJ makes mistakes all the time, again, imo.

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I even think the “logic” behind each move is also pretty clear, though likes also emerges from different forces with different ideas and priorities:

1. Bringing Back Palpatine - LFL didn’t actually want Kylo as the Final Boss of the 9-film story and instead wanted Ben to be on the heroes’ side of the climax, and had seen that other possibilities proposed by Trevorrow in later drafts as dubious and untenable. Palpatine affords a large scale antagonist who can overwhelm Kylo’s role as the primary antagonist simply by his presence, and match the scale they believed the film should have as a climax.

2. Undoing Anakin’s sacrifice - This pretty much flows exactly from the same idea as #1; I presume you could probably further clarify that it’s simply a natural consequence of finding Palpatine the only viable alternative when you’re primary goal is getting Ben Solo a redemption arc and offering up a Bigger Bad for the story in his place.

3. Making Rey Palpatine’s Granddaughter - This one is likely Abrams feeling that, quite simply, Rey Random wasn’t up to the task of being the primary finale heroine in a film now launching itself as hard as it could towards making Palpatine the main villain for Ben’s sake. Rey Random has no history with Palpatine, nor does anyone in her family, and Rey’s story isn’t served by losing Kylo as her opponent at the last minute just so Ben Solo, with the family ties he has, can step up next to her. But Rey is also the main character of the ST, so you can’t have her just floating around as a disconnected main character in a film now about the same family as before.

None of these decisions are really good, and are arguably all decisions made in reaction against something from the first two films in the ST, rather than inspired originality and vision.

All three have some basis in logical objective that someone else failed to keep to: LFL didn’t want a climax to end on just a bitter, purely incidental afterthought of an ending to a family story people had technically been following since the 70s, and Abrams didn’t want to just give over the entire climax of the ST to a still barely defined antagonist character who’d already usurped his original male lead and become a “rival” to the overall main heroine.

But, well, making sure Rey was still the main character and that the Skywalkers could have a satisfactory ending was basically impossible after TFA and TLJ. TFA had thrown the family into too steep of a tailspin, and TLJ had cut out whatever “parachute” they may have been able to construct using Rey.

I mean, after TFA, the only real way forward to achieve both Rey as the main character and a satisfactory ending for the Skywalkers was Rey Solo/Skywalker, but that was predictable, and rejected by TLJ. No one wanted to “pay the check” on that, but no one wanted to backtrack too much...

...So you get TROS, trying to stabilize and just get things over with in a kind of damage control, hoping to at least avoid running everyone off or admitting the weaknesses of the previous two films.

14. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Abrams should've just made her the daughter of Luke and Leia - that only Leia and Han knew about. That would explain 1. Rey's super-duper-uber powerful force abilities 2. Why Leia hugged Rey in TFA instead of Chewie 3. Why Han had sympathy for Rey 4. Why Luke didn't know who Rey was and 5. Why Kylo didn't know who Rey was (as he was away with Luke), why he told Rey she was no one, and why he still felt a connection to her.

15. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Precisely. And despite what the book says, I'm not sure it was "Order 66" in All Caps by that point, but the idea of a secret standing order to hunt down and kill Jedi was evidently there.

It's interesting also that Jango was tasked with doing this, since he's the donor for the clone army. I wonder if the idea at this point was that it was a latent genetic predilection in the clones from their donor that could be triggered somehow, rather than due to specific programming (eventually specified as brain chips).

Darth PJ likes this.
  16. Whistling Birb

Whistling Birb Jedi Knight

Dec 8, 2020
    First part of that sentence made me think you wanted Rey to be a child of incest [face_laugh] But any family connection to OT3 would have given me an automatic affinity for Rey. The other option would be to write her compellingly, but I think they failed to do that after a relatively strong start in TFA.

Jo Lucas, 2Cleva and godisawesome like this.
  17. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Which would make Rey's father a one-handed blond knight with an overly close relationship with his sister.

That reminds me, Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones uses the Spanish spelling of his first name...

18. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    this is why I think they should have officially gone with one of George's unused concepts that Palpatine created Anakin.. so Rey is related. I think this would work thematically with the Republic morphing into the Empire. I do think jj, Kathleen and the whole team had the best intentions. I'm happy with what we got tho

19. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I...I wish I could unread this...

20. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Lmao @ anyone taking that leak seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    In the Earthsea books at one point Ged encounters a pair of feral castaways on a desert island, actually royals abandoned there as children during a dynastic power struggle. In that instance it was a fairly effective way of king-slaying.

Though Jakku is a bit more questionable in that regard, having its own population who trade in hunks of junk like ancient Corellian freighters. Which brings to mind the mythological trope of a parent trying to kill an infant child via abandoning it to the lements, but its life being spared by a merciful passerby - as happened, for instance, with Oedipus. Oh yes, Jocasta knew what her son would become...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Wrong thread.

You'll want to leave your usual "Mocking others, and showing general contempt for those I don't agree with, because I have nothing else to contribute" post here.
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-development-of-the-sequel-trilogy.50046418/page-271

Darth PJ likes this.
  23. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  24. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    So adorbs [face_love]

whostheBossk and Master_Rebado like this.
  25. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004