main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Best chapter and ranking (Season 1)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by 3sm1r, Dec 27, 2019.

?

Best chapter?

1. 1: The client

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 2: The child

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. 3: The sin

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 4: Sanctuary

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 5: The gunslinger

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. 6: The prisoner

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. 7: Reckoning

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 8: Redemption

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Both episodes from Chow were awesome

3sm1r likes this.
  2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Here are my rankings, really miss this show.

3sm1r and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Episode 2 is clearly the best in my view, followed by 7, 3, 8 and 6 as the top five.

DurararaFTW and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Indeed, it has that certain quite Star Wars magic to it that is so hard to replicate. For some reason the simplicity of the episode reminds a lot of the first part of ANH where you're just following the droids. Hopefully season two can capture that sort of thing as well.

El_Machete12 and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Results from the poll so far
    5/1

Most divisive = 6. This episode is often either on top or on bottom.
    Least liked so far = 4. Not just because it has zero votes, but it is also the one that is put on the bottom most often.

6. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    It was tough deciding between Chapters 3 and 7, but in the end 3 came ahead.

My overall ranking would be:

3sm1r likes this.
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    This is tough because I really do think of the show as the sum of its parts -- and I know that's odd because the parts have a lot of tonal and even genre differences, but it still adds up for me. I can say that 2 is maybe my favorite Star Wars thing in a great long time (and that's coming from someone who likes or loves pretty much all post-Lucas SW except for TROS), and I seem to be an outlier in that I like 4 very much indeed. The Tatooine episode was my least favorite on my first watch-through, which again says very little since I still liked it a lot, and on second viewing I liked it even more. It's... just a really good series.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000

(I love them all....even 4!)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  9. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I wish I had done this when I actually watched the season, but I'll have a rewatch to figure out a full ranking. That said, 8 is my standing favorite, for the humor, action, and emotion (I cried twice). Just having a full interaction between two troopers is interesting in its own right. Also, I think 4 is underrated: the prospect of a quieter life for Din, Cara's intro, the tooka cameo, and the coolest AT-ST I've ever seen. [face_skull]

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    1. Chapter 8: Redemption
    Perfect Star Wars. From the hilarious opening scene with the troopers, to the emotional ending (and fantastic stinger) this episode has everything I want from this franchise. The action, the character moments, the humor, the emotion. Absolutely love it. 10/10

2. Chapter 2: The Child

This is like a brilliant Star Wars short film. It has a very simple plot, but one that is told in a beautiful way. I hate to sound too much like @Bor Mullet here, but this episode is like a masterclass in filmmaking; from the cinematography to the visual storytelling and the sound design, effects and just about everything. 10/10

3. Chapter 7: The Reckoning
    This episode has this line in it: "Can I offer you a libation to celebrate the closing of our shared narrative?"
    Enough said. 9/10

4. Chapter 3: The Sin

It was amazing to finally see Mandalorians in (live) action. And it's also the episode that first lets us understand Din's character more in-depth than just "cool, Boba-looking guy". 9/10

5. Chapter 1: The Mandalorian

What a way to start a TV series. The opening is great (love the flute playing Kubaz), and the ending shoot out is great. IG is easily one of my favorite droids in the franchise. 8/10

6. Chapter 6: The Prisoner

I love the looks into the New Republic we get in this. Great to see something other than small, dusty settlements. And Matt Lanter's cameo is really funny! 7,5/10

7. Chapter 5: The Gunslinger

Great to be back on Tatooine, and especially in Mos Eisley. The cantina now being almost empty and staffed by droids is fun, and a bit sad, and it really says a lot about Tatooine post-Jabba. I have a feeling many residents there aren't as happy that Leia killed the Hutt as one might have thought originally. 7,5/10

8. Chapter 4: Sanctuary

While it is my least favorite episode, I still really enjoy it. It reminds me a bit of the Ewok movies, as it's a more grounded, regular people type take on the GFFA. And it manages to make an AT-ST look really scary, which is nice. 7/10

12. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I thought the whole series was of the highest quality but if I had to rank them in order of favourite chapter to least:
    1. 1
    2. 8
    3 7
    4. 2
    5 3
    6. 5
    7. 4
    8. 6

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is exactly the same ranking as my own, except I'd switch Chapter 5 and 4 by a hair. I just really don't like Not Han Solo.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Wait just a second. Shouldn't you be honored to sound too much like me?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    ;)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He’s a person, and his name is Toro Calican! :p

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    No he's not, and no it isn't.

TCF-1138 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. jedisrm

jedisrm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    For now my rankings are...

19. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I think I'm the first person to vote Chapter 4. I don't think any of the episodes are terrible, but let's go through my rankings
    4—Love the village, the nods to Seven Samurai, and Baby Yoda is able to be a kid for a while. I want to raise my kid there sipping spotchka!
    3—Seems like what we would expect as the season finale in terms of action. Live-action Mandalorians!
    8—Incredible finale, has action/humor/emotion, and sets up Season 2 nicely!
    2—Some of best 30 minutes of this show, but not my favorite. Thankfully, it showed our hero is not invincible or infallible.
    1—Great introduction to our hero, and ends with an unexpected surprise...Baby Yoda!
    7—Sets up the finale as our hero gathers up his crew...I watch this one back-to-back with Chapter 8.
    5—Loved the scenes with Peli Motto, she really showed our hero how lousy of a daddy he is. Toro Calican is an idiot, and thankfully he didn't succeed.
    6—I despised the crew going to spring the prisoner. I mean, these were all examples of people our hero had to deal with before, and he's not interested in that life anymore. I was glad he properly imprisoned them in the end. This is probably one part I would have cut out if I had a choice, but it gives the story a bit more depth, and it has some great visuals.

Grey Matter likes this.
  20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    For me, before I start my re-watch tonight:

1. Chapter 8. Good laughs, good emotional beats, and fantastic action. Even better, a lot of great reveals, and closure for certain arcs. Very good! 10/10 Star Wars.

2. Chapter 3. Practically tied along with 8. fantastic payoff, great direction, and some great moments for Mando. Just so much to love. 10/10 Star Wars.

3. Chapter 7. Great seeing the gang get together for the first time. Also has an ending that makes the series actually have stakes. 9.5/10

4. Chapter 2. So much while saying so little. I also love jawas, so that was great! 9/10

5. Chapter 6. Really enjoyed seeing the Mando in his element. Seeing him conflicted with what he once did compared to his current priorities. Also love Bill Burr so it's cool having him there. 8/10

6. Chapter 1. A bit un-even. Dave Filoni showed talent but he was clearly learning the ropes still as a first time live action director. It also feels like it just needed ten more minutes to flesh it out, but maybe I just wanted more. 8/10

7. Chapter 5. This is one I could see growing on me depending on how that stinger moves the plot forward in future seasons. Really loved tattooine and the prequel era droids. Was very disappointed in losing Fennec though. 7/10

8. Chapter 4. Just didn't care for the romance subplot with Mando here. Felt a bit too early to pull a "what if we walked away from it all and had a normal life" plot point. Still had some good bits though. 6/10

Bout to start my re-watch now! Time to see if the ratings stand.

21. FrogEater315

FrogEater315 Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2020
    The Gunslinger is my favorite of Season 1, thanks to Filoni. The Child may be my least favorite, even though it was a great episode that revealed Baby Yoda’s force-sensitivity.