main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best PT/ST opening episode: TPM or TFA? *POLL included*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, Mar 5, 2016.

?

TPM or TFA. The better movie is:

1. The Phantom Menace

100 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. The Force Awakens

117 vote(s)
    53.9%
  1. JediRoxx

JediRoxx Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2016
    To me, this is a silly question. Of course TFA is a better made, higher quality film. Hence all of the awards, acclaim & an absence of scorn, vitriol & Golden Raspberry awards. What's more interesting to me is how the trilogies compare in the end.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    A subjective opinion is a silly question? Outside opinions mean nothing for my enjoyment of a film, only what I think matters. Otherwise I'd hate the prequels, Man of Steel, Age of Ultron, and The Hobbit.

DBPirate, Tonyg, -Jedi Joe- and 4 others like this.
  3. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Easily TPM and its really no contest. TPM had better development of its characters, an intriguing storyline, a badass villain with Darth Maul, Amazing scenes such as the podracing and the lightsaber fight at the end, and of course the music. TFA on the other hand tries to copy to much from the OT especially with the cinematography, the characters were very underdeveloped(especially Rey and Poe). The dialogue also felt to modern and not SW like.

Now as a saga fan I do love both films. I enjoyed TFA a lot more than I thought I would but there are a lot of things that hinder it from topping any of the PT films for me. Hopefully episodes 8 and 9 can move in a more refreshing and original direction.

DBPirate, Tonyg, steelneena and 4 others like this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't understand why ANH isn't in here since it's the opening episode of a trilogy.

Either way it's a complete no contest for TPM over both ANH and TFA as it really is the opening episode of not just the prequel trilogy but the entire Star Wars story.

Watching ANH or TFA alone doesn't do that since they are by their natures continuations of the story started in TPM. Watching ANH or TFA alone is fine in itself but watching one or both makes you none the wiser in story terms about what is ultimately going on. You can infer of course but TPM shows you the Force, Good and Evil, the Light and Dark sides of the Force upon which everything in Star Wars is built on.

5. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Also forget to add I hated HATED!!! the Empire vs Rebellion conflict 2.0 and Death Star 3. If TFA had less ANH rehashes it would be a much stronger film. Which is why I lowered my ranking I just these things will bug me on rewatches each time. Still a good film though and was a surprise especially since the awful marketing I was sure I would hate it and I didn't after all and have seen it 3 times in theaters.

6. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Oh, The Phantom Menace all the way.

7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    TFA is fun, TPM wins for me though. Just a personal fave.

TPM seems more mythical, it's a great reintroduction to the saga, I think you need to watch ANH to fully understand it though.

I like it's depth, it just feels significant, I dunno.

TFA visually tops it I think, and the characters come across less stilted, if not as developed (although TPM gets a lot of it's weight from where it is heading, and I don't know what happens in the rest of the ST).

DBPirate, Tonyg, Darthman92 and 3 others like this.
  8. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I also think the stilted is because of the heavy Kurosawa inspiration. The whole thing about Samurai's, peace, honor, cool headed and such...

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting point. I liked Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon, definitely a highlight. Underrated wisdom perhaps, with how unpopular the film is. Next to Luke he is my favourite Jedi. Ewan as Obi-Wan I think grows into the role better by ROTS, he looked a little out of place in TPM at times.
    The Sith introduction was effective, Maul could have had more dialogue but Palpatine is arguably at his best in the PT, I loved the dual personas and his dialogue and acting was on par with ROTS. Very foreboding performance if that makes sense.

My favourite aspect of the film is the symbolism, there is so much rich imagery and character building. I love all the little nods to ANH and ROTJ, and have posted extensively on the apparent inversions of ROTS that are present now that the six films are complete.

The music is of course fitting and well made. Adds to the genuine heart I find the film has, I don't really get why some people find it colder than the other films. Anakin and Shmi have some really good moments and it is very depressing knowing how it all will end.

Tonyg and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  10. StarWarsFTW

StarWarsFTW Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2016
    I voted for TFA I like every Star Wars movie but TPM wasn't one of my favourites it was good but I thought TFA , ESB , ROTJ , ROTS were better

11. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    TPM.
    -The setting felt big, original, and spellbinding. I loved seeing the senate building, the Gungan home, and the Jedi Council room. I also loved that they showed a new, bustling side of Tatooine instead of relying on the same setting from the OT.
    -The central characters were far more diverse. There was the teenage queen, the child slave, the wise Jedi Master, and the still-learning apprentice. It presented multiple entry points into the story.
    -It was more epic in that there were multiple storylines taking place at once. Anakin was winning his freedom while Padme was trying to save Naboo, the Jedi were becoming aware of the Sith threat, and Palpatine was manipulating his way into power.
    -The galaxy was BIG. I really missed this in TFA. There was a system-destroying superweapon but we didn't get to see anything about a few seconds of a busy planet. There was no punch to it because the heroes were so disconnected from the rest of the galaxy. They went to a few out-of-the-way places, and it just made the galaxy seem so small.

12. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    TFA is unquestionably superior to TPM. TPM had its moments but overall was a disappointing film. TFA is wonderful from beginning to end. The acting is better in TFA too imo.

13. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I prefer TFA. In short, I think it's more engaging and cohesive, its characters more endearing, and its ending far stronger.

MOC Yak Face and DarthCricketer like this.
  14. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think TFA was a better opening episode than TPM. TFA biggest complaint is lack of originality. TPM biggest complaint is characters. TFA had better acting, direction, cinematography, comedy, dialogue, editing, pacing, and characters IMO. TPM had the better duel, and score IMO. TFA was more focused and set up the characters better for future installments. TFA might not the most original Star Wars but no other Star Wars will be as original as ANH. Even if you dislike TFA it is hard to dispute that the characters were not introduced better than they were in TPM.

15. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    TPM for me, although a) I would need to wait and see how TFA fits in with the rest of the trilogy and b) there is a little bit of nostalgia bias. For me, my favorite part of Star Wars is when we they get into mythos and history of the Force, the Jedi Council, and the galaxy, and we got a lot of that in the TPM.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Master star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    TPM was better. Finn ruined TFA. The guy was gross and annoying. "I'm in charge now!" [face_clown]A total loser, it's a shame he's in pt8.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  17. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    TFA by 3.2 million light years ]-}

MOC Yak Face and DarthCricketer like this.
  18. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The Force Awakens is not even an opening episode. It does nothing to establish any in-universe rules.

The Phantom Menace introduces the Jedi, proper. It introduces the lightsabre, the general drama, etc. People need to watch the film with no preconception of what "Star Wars" is. The audience goes in with NO knowledge of the universe--dont know about Jedi, don't know about Sith, don't know about technology, etc. TPM does all of this.

19. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    I like more TPM.

20. JediRoxx

JediRoxx Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2016
    TPM works well as a sedative. If we're talking movies though I'd go with TFA by far.

21. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    TPM... is that even a question?

astronaut23 and ezekiel22x like this.
  22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I like TPM and it's my favourite of the PT films, but for this poll I have to go with TFA by a wide margin. The story is fairly straightforward, but very well executed. The characters are likeable and relatable. The special effects are top notch and used with discretion. The humour is, well, funny. It captures the intangible essence of Star Wars perfectly.

23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    ^ Well said!

24. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Well they are different films, despite both having parallels to ANH, but TFA is definitely darker in tone. I'd say TFA, mainly because it's higher on my ranking, but that's not to say I don't like TPM. My I-VII ranking is really close.

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I dislike both films but I voted TPM.

Why?

Borrowed less from ANH.

But really we all need to 8 & 9 as a fair "?"

oncafar and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.