main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Birth of Rogue Squadron

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Esther Anderson, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Esther Anderson

Esther Anderson Jedi Knight

Sep 5, 2012
    Title: The Birth of Rogue Squadron
    Author: Esther Anderson
    Characters: Wes J, Jek P., Luke S, Wedge A., Hobbie K.
    Rating: PG
    Summary: In which Rogue Squadron is born...
    Notes: This my first fic to be posted here. I hope you like it....
    Genre: Drama, Angst, Friendship
    Timeline: Rebellion ERA, BBY
    Disclaimer: I do not own them, sadly.

"But Sir, I can still fly!"

"No." A pause, "You're sick, Janson, deal with it."

"Not that sick." Wes Janson protested.

Commander Dante shook his head exasperated, "Sick enough to be a liability."

"Sir, I can't just sit here in the infirmary while Yavin faces off that Death Star."

"I know, Wes, but for the last time, you are to sick to fly in a straight line much less take off from the hanger. We can find someone else to fill your slot." Dante said, "but we'll give 'em an extra punch for you."

Wes tried to grin but failed, he sighed and looked away, "Thanks," he mumbled.

Two days later, Jek stopped by the infirmary. He glanced at the mountain of blankets on the bunk, "Is he in there?" Jek asked the passing nurse.

"Oh yes," she nodded, "Poor thing hasn't come out since the commander left."

Jek sighed and firmly poked where Janson's head would be and was rewarded with a groan. A mop of black hair reluctantly showed and a blurred hazel eye opened. "You know I hate it when you do that."

Jek grinned slightly and shifted his helmet on his left hip. He hesitated, then said, "I'm shippin' out in your place."

Janson blinked slowly and pulled the rest of the blankets away from his head. He leaned back against his pillows. "Oh."

There was a moment of awkward silence, then, "Wes-"

Janson held up a hand, "Don't, Piggy, just don't," He started to say something but erupted into a coughing fit.

Jek dropped his helmet to pound Janson's back, "Breathe, Janson, breathe!"

Janson gulped air in greedily after the fit eased and wiped tears from his eyes.

Jek sighed and picked up his helmet, "I should probably go."

Janson picked at the threads of one of his blankets, after a moment he said somberly, "May the Force be with you, Piggy."

Jek finally smiled and clapped Janson on his shoulder, "We'll definitely need it." He paused at the doorway, "I'll see you when you come."

"Count on it."

It was a week later when his illness finally decided to abate, Wes heard the bad news. Well, it was bad news mixed with good news actually. After the nurse left, Wes buried his face in his pillow and cried.

They found him staring at the memorial hologram of Jek outside the throne room.

"It wasn't your fault, Wes." Luke said softly.

Wes shook his head, "I should've been here,"

"It wouldn't have made any difference," Wedge said.

They fell into a tense silence.

"Maybe it was a good thing you got sick," Hobbie said thoughtfully.

Wes whirled his head around, "What?" he crossed his arms.

Hobbie held up his hands, "Hear me out, Wes," he protested, "Think about it, if you had gone instead of Piggy, you probably wouldn't made it either."

Wes sighed dejectedly, "Yeah, I know," he rubbed his nose, "At least I would've been able to make a difference."

"Maybe," Wedge said, "maybe not."

"Well, on a more cheery note," Luke said, "General Dodonna's allowed me to commission a brand new fighter squadron."

They exchanged glances, "You have a name?" Hobbie asked.

"Well, I don't know about you guys but I was thinking about Rogue Squadron."

Wedge grinned, "I like the sound of that."

Wes clapped his hands on Luke's and Hobbie's shoulders, "Welcome to Rogue Squadron boys."

2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Poor Wes. Well, lucky too, but it's the guilt-making kind of luck even though it wasn't his fault. Hope to see more about the new Rogue Squadron. :)

Esther Anderson likes this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a great fic!

I'm always a sucker for the Rogues. I really liked how you worked Piggy in... though I can't imagine how awful it would feel to be Wes in that situation.

Thanks for sharing with us and welcome to fanfic here on the JCF! I look forward to seeing more of your stories!

4. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    It's neat to see the camaraderie between Wes and Porkins here before the battle, as well as the support they all show each other afterwards in that very difficult aftermath. That's a pretty good thing to found a squadron on. :)

Nice job!

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Rogue Squadron is the best!

6. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I enjoyed that! We need more pilot fics! =D=