main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[C and P] Blaster Making Session???

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Is anyone interested in making a DH-17 for either a Rebel or an Imperial costume?

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Weapons/Blaster/rebelgun.jpg]

I got a new and improved DH-17 tutorial from Void Dancer in Phoenix and thought it might be a good idea to share it with others and have a all-day blaster making session at some point in the future.

Just like with the X-Wing costume project, it seems to make sense to do it as a batch that way we get multiple blasters done at the same time, using the same materials and (hopefully) getting them done and looking good at the same time.

The DH-17 is a very universal blaster, whether as a primary weapon, or a sidearm, for both Rebels and Imperials.

I've got full lists of materials needed for the blaster and the scope, and thought if the interest is there, maybe we could make a run to Tandy Leather and get belt buckles, buckle blanks and possibly make holsters at the same time.

Please LMK if you are interested in making a blaster, holster or both. Once we have the interest, then we'll set a date and location. If you happen to have hand tools, dremels, etc that you'd be willing to let us use, please post that as well.

Thanks!

ED: Changed title to make it more universal, in case people want to make E-11's or other blasters.

2. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    sure, i got the tutorial. holster would be great too!

also need a good blaster and holster to help break up the gigant orange blob when i am in my flight suit.

3. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    OoOOoOooOOOoooo...I need more toys. Count me in. :D

4. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Cool! Hopefully we'll get more interest tomorrow and then figure out a time by this coming meeting.

5. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I ran a "blaster building Workshop" here in NJ for that blaster. After about an hour and half in Home depot getting the supplies, we were able to just about finish building 6 of them. It's definately a fun project. :)

And it is a very universal blaster, everyone uses it, Good bad and Fringe. And remember, there are 2 versions of it lol. One with the mag well and mag, like the E-11, and the ANH version without it.

6. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    You can count me in=)

7. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    It's based off the same Sterling model as the E-11, isn't it?

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes, the rear of it is basically a Sterling. We can do E-11's as well, if the interest is there. Imjust don't have the all of the templates on me.

Do we want to open it up to all blasters?

9. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    If you are doig completely hardware versions of the E-11, I have comeup with a short cut for the Stock, as long as it's going to be static.

Let me know, and I will forward the pics and a little tutorial for it.

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes, please email them to me at obeywann@mail.com

11. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    I would be interested...:) i need one for my endor leah costume. :)

12. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I don't know where everyone wants to meet but we can use my garage and tools...

13. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Just sent ya a PM, Ed.

14. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    PM returned, and I'll get everything put together for you guys tonight.

I did cheat and used some Resion caste parts, but with the proper tools, the wood parts will work fine (I don't quitre have a full shop lol, and I didn't want to try forming the grip with a dremel :)

15. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    do we have a location and time on this yet?

i would love to do the blaster that leah has in jedi...

[image=http://hanandleia.homestead.com/files/leia91.jpg]

16. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    looks like a stripped down mouser like terry's .

i still have a bunch of stuff from when we made blasters the last time . if you guys want it , take it

17. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    that would be awesome...thanks DH.

18. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    ok, seems the in progress pics I used to have are gone, with the old Computer. What I will do is rephotograph the parts I used. and the final product. I will attach 2 pics of my finished PVC/Resin Hybrid.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2500808

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2500803

As for Leia's ROTJ Blaster, The base gun is really a Russion (I think) .22 Cal target pistol. It's actually the same pistol as the ANH Blaster as well.

Some people have made a "Close" copy of it using toy guns and modifying them up. A toy Lugar, like this one

http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1-1-156&Category_Code=Lotsoftoyguns

could be used to get close. AS will some of the Older Cap guns. I would check www.partsofSW.com to see good pics of the LEia Endor blaster.

If I find anythign, I will let you know.

I would love to find someone to make resin coppies of the ROTJ pistol, as it's my favorite, and I know more then a few who would like one. I know one person, The guy I get my Solo Blasters from, who is looking into it. But it's almost a year since we first started talking about it.

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Reaper --do you have good pics of the top of the DH-17? Where the scope attaches to?

Both of the tutorials I have are a bit fuzzy on that part.

Also, do you have good dimensions for it?

20. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Which ROTJ pistol? The Scout blaster? I know someone that has a resin copy of the old Kenner blaster, but when I looked at the possibilities of reproducing it, the pieces are a little too intricate to get a decent casting from. The molds would be fine, but the actual cast would suck.

Next option -- start from the ground up and make one that isn't as intricate (no textures on the grips and stuff). [face_plain]

21. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002

I ment the Leia ROTJ pistol.

as for detailed pics of the Scope mounting, I can take pics of my resin one and post them, and make the measurements off that. Keep posting things you guys need here, and I'll do some pic taking on Sat, and get you what you need. . It's looking like the next day I'll have time :(

22. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Let's discuss this at the meeting on Saturday and lock in a time/date/location then.

23. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    ok, I found some of the pics, when Boomspeed restored my Account after soem tech problems.

here are some in progress pics of my E-11

http://www.boomspeed.com/reaperden/PVCblaster1.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/reaperden/PVCBLASTER2.jpg

And
    http://www.boomspeed.com/reaperden/scoperail.jpg

As you can see, what I did was take a metal bar, Al. in this case, and bent it into a U and secured it around the pistol grip. For the piece that connects the U to the Butt Stock under the muzzle, I used a Piece of molding (wood) and then attached the Styrene Butt Stock to the wood, using 4 tacks.

The final result looks good, not great, but good, you can do more work to cover the wood grain, but when being carried, it looks fine.

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    What did you make the trigger out of?

25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    OK, how soon do you all want to do this? And please indicate if you have hand tools, especially dremels, etc.

I should be able to bring a die grinder, since Becca said she has an air compressor. I can't do this last weekend in Sept, but Oct is mostly OK, but I know Mile Hi con and the WOTR event are coming up. Thoughts?

(I also have to check which weekend I have drill in Oct)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.