main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch Cad Bane in The Bad Batch

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by SeparatistFan, Jan 23, 2024.

1. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Given that he’s returning in the Bad Batch S3 thought it’d be a good time to make him a thread.

I’m hoping they will give Cad Bane more victories in the future because aside from the Hostage Crisis/Hunt for Ziro arc he’s always ended up losing and not getting paid.

Anyone else feel like they’ve not used him to his full potential since the early days of TCW when he debuted and was a really big deal?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know it’s funny I thought he had a thread. But maybe that was only for book of boba Fett

Since I made the Ventress thread I didn’t want to make another one the same day. I would actually prefer if Bane wasn’t hired to do evil **** for once. But I assume he will be

Cos Palpatine and SeparatistFan like this.
  3. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    All of his old threads have been moved to the complete/finished section, but I figured he deserves a thread in the current/ongoing section as he is still rather relevant.

I agree it’d be refreshing to see Cad Bane do a job for the heroes I was always under the impression he was happy to work for whoever as long as the pay was good enough.

Cos Palpatine likes this.
  4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    As CIS contractor and kidnapper of Palpatine, Bane is probably the same wanted criminal in the eyes of the Empire as he was for the Republic, so seems rather possible that he can agree to take some actions against the regime, for the right price, of course.
    Also he can work for Crimson Dawn on a regular basis, since he and Maul are familiar and worked together rather well before.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Happy Sando likes this.
  5. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    The problem with doing jobs for the good guys (or morally good jobs) is that he becomes a little bit of a "good guy" by association, and I think they wanna keep him a straight up villainous character. I'd like to see him do a job for the heroes or some such too but that would move him into that grey anti-hero territory (even if he's doing it for selfish financial gain) and I don't think they wanna do that with this character. Even tho bounty hunters should be morally grey characters I think Cad has been typecast as a baddie. Be cool if I'm wrong about that tho.

Any predictions what his role this season will be? After Omega again maybe? I'm assuming he's gonna be after someone at least. Why'd he be around otherwise?

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I did get the impression from book fo boba that he didn’t do jobs for the empire

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Bounty hunters are not morally gray. They kill people for money. That's clearly not a gray-zone profession.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Seemed like he has developed a bizarre code of ethics since the CW, I thought he considered himself above the "cold blooded killer" Boba. He gave Boba a fair chance the same as he gave Cobb in their duels. I thought at the time he's just supremely confident in his own abilities but just may be there's more?

9. Cos Palpatine

Apr 5, 2022
    They're not hitmen tho. They bring wanted criminals in for bounty money. The problem with bounty hunters in the GFFA is we've pretty much only seen the most ruthless ones who work for bad people and have no qualms killing innocents who get in their way. Those types are murderers and villains I agree on that part, but I'm sure there are plenty of bounty hunters that use non-lethal force to capture their bounty just like in real-life here on Earth where they operate in a legally and morally grey area as quasi-law enforcement.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, and those are the bounty hunters we've been talking about.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  11. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    I wonder if it's because he realized that Sidious used him

Foreign32567 likes this.
  12. Cos Palpatine

Apr 5, 2022
    I wasn't. I just responded to your statement that bounty hunters kill people (guilty or not) for money and I'm saying that it's not necessarily true of all of them. I was referring to bounty hunters in general and not a select few obviously evil ones. The average bounty hunters goal is to bring in their bounty to get paid. Sometimes killing comes with the territory when they're dealing with dangerous individuals who would resist capture by attempting to hurt the bounty hunter or innocent bystanders, that doesn't make it wrong or right but morally grey. Would you consider Din Djarin a grey character or an absolute villain?

13. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    Does anyone think Cad Bane was ever meant to die in that unfinished TCW bounty hunter arc or would it have just been an apparent death?

It did used to come across he was meant to survive TCW because he was going to be in Detours (I know that series would have only been a parody, but it was still seemingly only using characters that were alive during the dark times)

Also Legends confirmed he survived into the dark times and did some jobs for the Empire. Now as far as I remember Legends never did that for any other original TCW characters.

So I reckon he was always meant to live on, but the Legends statement about him doing jobs for the Empire might not ring true anymore.

I’m hoping he is anti Empire and refuses to work for them, it’d be more interesting and make him more of a complex villain. Also it’d be a nice contrast to Boba Fett.

14. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    He was supposed to die, for sure. First, Lucas wanted to kill off most of the TCW characters before the show was over. Second, it's not really plausible that he survived getting shot in the head. It knocked out Boba Fett, and the only reason he survived was because he had a helmet, and it left the dent that we see him having in the original films. I mean, come on. It's ridiculous. Metal plate on the head? Armored troopers die from getting shot in the body. And he was shot in the head. Just a flesh wound? Doubt that. Third, it was a story of rivalry, sort of twisted mentorship, and Boba Fett taking up the mantle of the best bounty hunter. The premise was that Cad Bane wanted to challenge Jango, who was considered to be the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, but Jango got killed before he could do that. So there was Boba, his son. And it was an opportunity for Boba to prove him worthy of being Jango's son. Narratively and thematically, it was a fitting end for Cad Bane, as Boba Fett enters the scene into the Imperial Era. There is no Cad Bane when Vader was hiring bounty hunters to track down Han Solo. And a bounty hunter of his caliber surely would have gotten an invitation, having worked for Sidious himself in the past, successfully breaking into the Jedi Temple, and so on. It only makes sense that he was dead.
    Legends material is irrelevant and does not represent anything that George would have done with the characters. I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Honestly, it feels like most of the original TCW characters, he is used only for fanservice points these days (and because a certain somebody at Lucasfilm does not believe that the stories should ever end and has a hard time letting go of the characters), and he does not have any organic and necessary role in the story. I am afraid the same will happen with Ventress and her return after her intended death and closure. As it already happened with Ahsoka.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    IMO yes babe was supposed to die.

lol I am keeping that in babe

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    I present: Cad Babe

[​IMG]

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While true, it's not as if Lucas was beyond changing his mind on such matters.
    See: Maul

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’ll do, Bane.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Lucas changed his mind all the time

20. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    That's why I said most :) Maul was never supposed to die in TCW, since Lucas had plans for him for his sequels.

Whereas Cad Bane was 100% amongst the ones to die, since the episodes had been fully voiced and produced in the story reels form, which means Lucas had already approved of the scripts, finalized the story, seen the story reels before they would go into post-production. And in those story-reels, Cad Bane gets shot in the head.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What I meant was that Lucas brought Maul back in TCW, even though he had given him a defintive death in TPM.
    So even if Lucas had plans on killing Bane in the duel with Boba (which, I guess, is like 99% certain), there's no guarantee that he wouldn’t have changed his mind later.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes but that’s not true at least originally. Lucas’s actual modern plans for the sequels did not formulate until 2011-2012 and it was only seemingly as a way to get more money from Disney. Or just sweeten the deal. Mail wasn’t originally resurrected for the sequels. Lucas just changed his mind and decided that’s what it was for.

23. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    I mean, Maul is a Sith Lord. It's at least somewhat more plausible. Cad Bane was just a dude, and he got shot in the head. And the show was ending originally with 8 seasons, and they were wrapping up the characters. He would not have changed his mind, because that was simply the end of Cad Bane's story. And that story was in service of Boba Fett, which makes sense. Cad Bane would not have appeared ever again in any of the remaining story arcs. Which is why he also never appeared in Dark Disciple. Because he was dead.
    You got a source on that, or you just talking random things you heard on the Internet?

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am misremembering the sale as being the prompt for the creation of the sequel trilogy. But the script was written in 2012. We have no clear date when Lucas thought of the synopsis that he handed off to Ardnt for the drafts. So to say either of our claim is right at least on the maul being brought back for the sequel trilogy all the way in 2009-2010 is well there is no source on that.

Lucas was adamant about not making the sequel trilogy up until 2010. After that I can’t find mention of it. So he probably changed his mind around there.

the point however is Lucas changes his mind all the time. It’s why he didn’t make episode 7-9 originally like he said he would around the time of ESB. Hell. At one point he even said he might do 4 trilogies total. Lucas isn’t some infallible god who had a plan from the start.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I mean, people do survive getting shot in the head. Bisected and falling down a bottomless pit? Not so much.

For the record, I do think Bane was supposed to have died, but in no way do I think that it's a certainty that Lucas wouldn’t have resurrected him if he had a story idea that could use him.
    I simply don't think what they're doing with the characters now is any different from what Lucas did with Maul. And I don't think Lucas would have been above resurrecting other characters in the future.

Konrad Pietrzak likes this.