main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain America: The First Avenger

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Vince, May 15, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I just don't see him translating to the screen very well (outside of a non-superhero/costumeless role). He doesn't look as outright silly as the Vulture, but he's pretty close. Plus he's somewhat redundant/repetitive to Rhodey- I don't think they want to give the impression, with the mere handful of total marvel films they'll appear in, both Iron Man AND Captain America having "black sidekicks" (let alone "another" technologically-based FLYING black sidekick), as opposed to stand-alone heroes like Black Panther, Luke Cage or Blade (although, granted, War Machine stands on his own much easier than the Falcon).

I could easily see them working the community-activist-team-up angle into a sequel, but not the flying hero side-kick aspect. He could be the equivalent of the SHIELD Agent in Iron Man- a non-main-character supporting ally.

Between Rogers, Bucky/Winter Solider, Red Skull, Fury, Stark, Sharon Carter, Black Widow, US Agent and whatever other military characters they'll have to utilize- I just don't see there being room for a D-List character like the Falcon, unless it's like, Captain America 4 or something (and by that point, I'd be surprised if they weren't considering a Bucky-takes-over recasting to continue the series on).

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As I said in the earlier Cap thread, a couple of villains & their plotines that I'd love to see explored are The Super-Patriot and Scourge. The Super-Patriot is everything that Cap stands for....taken too far. It could be a very compelling story about the dangers of extremism. Likewise, a Scourge story could speak out against vigillantism.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Sounds kinda like the original Highlander to me.

Sadly, I doubt the people in charge of the movie will be paying attention to your other excellent suggestions.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This is what I would prefer. You could get around a lack of a possible WWII sequels by having him become cap early in the war. Then have some montages of him fighting all over Europe as the war rages on through the years and have the closing climax take place in the end days of the European Campaign. Possibly even after V-E Day. If Marvel then wanted to go back and do more WWII era movies they could set them entirely during the War but have them take place in between scenes of the first movie.

Of course if you end the movie with him being frozen you need to have one final teasing scene, (either pre or post-credits) with Nick Fury and having some low level SHIELD scientist run up to him and say something like "General Fury Sir! ...We found him!"

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    *cough*HankPym*cough*

6. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, cuz there's no way they would change things for the movie.

7. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Or just make Hank the SHIELD scientist. :p

But another interesting to be raised: Do we think the movie will include Bucky? I'm not sure on his origins/age etc. so would this be possible? And who would play him?

8. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I think the Winter Soldier storyline would make for an excellent sequel somewhere down the road, so a Bucky cameo wouldn't be uncalled for, but if they were to do the character I would prefer they approach him less like a sidekick (ie Robin) and more like Rhodey in Iron Man...an associate/friend sort of deal.

9. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Or even bring him back as Winter Soldier as a/the villain in Avengers. I don't know if he as a villain could carry an entire film, or if that's even the direction they would take, but who knows.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    2ndQuest, we'll just have to disagree about Falcon. First, I don't think he looks "silly" at all, especially considering he'd get a re-design for the purposes of a cinematic appearance. His colors are classic, his suit streamlined and his style engaging to the eye:

[image=http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/thumb/5/56/Falcon_.jpg/440px-Falcon_.jpg] [image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/2250127291_46148a0cd2.jpg]

[image=http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/CAPFAL001.jpg] [image=http://marvellegends.net/Faces/avatars/ML14Falcon.jpg]

Second, saying he's "redundant to Rhodey" when 1) Falcon came first and 2) Falcon is entirely different from Rhodes on every level except the color of his skin and the fact that he's another hero's partner is like saying "Pepper Potts is redundant to Mary Jane Parker because she's red-haired and she's a superhero's love interest". She may be on those terms, but so what? Either the character is interesting or it isn't.

Third, Falcon isn't a "D-list character". His name was in the title of a top-selling Marvel book for almost 100 issues. He also had a very popular MEGO action figure made of his likeness in 1974 -- the first black super hero action figure -- when alot of other Marvel heroes might have fit the bill instead. Falcon is beloved, iconic, and cool, and if you disagree that's fine, but just because you "don't see him translating to the screen very well (outside of a non-superhero/costumeless role)" doesn't mean that the public should be deprived of seeing this fascinating hero, realized on the silver screen in all his cloud-soaring awesomeness!

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    In the Ultimate Galactus trilogy he was redesigned for the Ultimate Universe thusly:
    [image=http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/thumb/6/64/Ultimate_falcon.jpg/440px-Ultimate_falcon.jpg]
    Basically, they took his existing costume and painted it black. :p

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    1) We'll have to disagree- I just don't think Falcon has ever looked cool, and it'd take an extreme re-design to overcome that.

2) Whether or not Falcon came first in the comics is irrelevent- Rhodey came first in the Marvel movieverse. And while I'm not particularly agreeing with the notion, people will see him as a copy or retread of War Machine- not just because of his skin, but because both wear a technological suit that gives them flight and function as the partner/sidekick to the main hero. They have different backgrounds, but the result is almost the same- it's no different than, say, Batman/Night Owl- totally different backgrounds, but they end up being pretty much the same type of hero, just with different attitudes.

And the Potts/Jane comparison isn't valid, since they are operating within separate film universes. There's room for similar characters or archetypes in the limitless world of comics, not so much for a finite series of films that will want to do their best to keep each installment as fresh as possible by devoting time to more distinct characters. And if you have War Machine and Luke Cage, you really don't need the Falcon, since the only thing else he can do is talk to birds, which only invites mocking Aqua Man-like comments.

3) He's certainly notable in the history of comics publications, but being first doesn't translate to being popular or necessary. Reading up on the character- he's never been able to support his own ongoing title (he had one 4 isssue miniseries which is seemingly discarded as part of his history anyways) and, for the most part, hasn't appeared in the cover title of a series for 25+ years. The closest was the modern "Captain America and the Falcon" from 2004 which only lasted 14 issues. And, though it's a nitpick, those near-100 issues weren't officially called "Captain America and the Falcon", it was just a cover thing ;)

And I don't want fans of any character to be deprived of seeing them on the big screen- but I think one has to have realistic expectations- there are literally dozens of other non-Fox/Sony Marvel characters more capable of carrying their own series and have played more significant roles with Cap and othe rheroes than the Falcon, and, thus, more likely to have ever-precious screentime devoted to them.

And that's pretty much what I mean- I have nothing against the Falcon showing up, but there are a lot of other characters that are a higher priority.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bump! First TV Spot will hit during the Super Bowl, and the teaser poster is out now:

[image=http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/561/original/captainamericaposter2.jpg]

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That looks really good. My optimism continues.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Pause it on the Red Skull rips his FACE off scene! He looks fan-TASTIC!

17. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I was so disappointed. I have been looking forward to this trailer all year. And as it starts they do door prizes and cut the volume off. :mad: When I asked them to turn it back on they said "No one cares about crappy lame superheroes like Mr. America"

Saw it later on youtube, AND IT WAS AWESOME! I was worried it would be cheesy but it looks straight up 'Saving Private Ryan' with superheros.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know other places are raving over that TV Spot, but while it doesn't look bad, it didn't deliver the feeling of kick-assedness I was hoping for. The german scientist's dialogue was hard to make out, and they tried to squeeze an origin story into 20 seconds which only left 10 seconds for conveying the actual movie.

On the plus side, nothing looked bad- shots like him and the Howling Commandoes crouched together entering that warehouse, or him charging into battle, or the motorcycle bit, or the shield test gag at the end, looked great. It's just not a very effective TV spot (one reason I'm 50/50 on the swinging shot is it's completely out of place with the lead-in shot, so the context is very confusing and ends up making it look poorer than it probably is).

I'm gonna wait for the real teaser trailer before i render judgement, as I imagine the origin portion csn be paced and conveyed more effectively, and we can see more of the actual action sequences in context.

19. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    [image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/redskull.jpg]

Awesome. :-B =P~

20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Seriously. So great. It also makes me think we won't see how it happens, it'll just be that Hugo Weaving's real face is a mask up to that point. Which is pretty damned awesome.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  22. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Captain America...FLAME ON!!!

[face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

23. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    [image=http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Captain-America-Red-Skull.jpg]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...yeah, that's awesome.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000