main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain America: The First Avenger

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Vince, May 15, 2009.

1. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Hell YES! A muppet Marvel super-hero movie! Sweetums' as The Hulk. Gonzo as Iron Man. Piggy as the Scarlet Witch. Fozzy Bear as Wolverine! Rizzo as War Machine. Kermit as Nick Fury. That crab/lobster thing as Ant-Man. Professor Bunsen as Prof X and Beaker as Cyclopes...
    Oh, the possibilities...

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    One of the things that I appreciated about this movie is that it?s a conscious move away from the ?darker & edgier/must overcome his inner demons? type of superhero movies that we?ve gotten of late. Cap was genuinely heroic without descending into Superman-level cheese.

This only increases my hope that they use the Super-Patriot in a future movie as a way of drawing a contrast in characters.

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I adored it. Regardless of whether it had flaws or not, I adored it. It's my favorite superhero movie of the summer, hands down.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Ha...one of the major sub-plots of Avengers is suppose to be Captain America and Iron Man not seeing eye to eye.

Also, Captain America's "out of time" sense of the world comes into play.

Which is good...the more they focus on that, the less time Thor is on camera.[face_laugh]

5. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Saw this one last weekend...my first film of the summer, believe it or not.

Not that I was waiting for it or anything...the timing and the opportunity presented themselves.

I've got some spoiler bits...not much...but I'll black it all out now:

Anyway...not a bad offering...did a good job or dealing with some really campy content that is part of who Captain America is, and delivered it so well, you only grin instead of grimace ("vita-rays" was a chuckle).

Hugo, as always, delivered masterfully on a difficult villain to portray.

Evans made me forget all about Johnny Storm...thank heavens.
    (Though a Captain America team up with the Fantastic Four would be HILARIOUS...though I pray the 4 are done now.)

The film...gets high marks for visuals...I liked what I saw...a lot of obvious green screen, but it was to be expected...it had a good amount of color to it as well...not a bleak film, nor they "realistic" drab that is suppose to distinguish from the "unrealistic" comics.

I hated the final Captain America uniform...particularly the helmet...fix it before next summer, or have him go without...Captain America doesn't have to hide his face.

The story...beyond the origin tale...stunk...all over the place...condensing way too much...how did they get behind the lines so easily...etc...when you use more then one montage in your film, it bodes poorly.

In a lot of ways, this was exactly what the secondary title says...the first avenger...movie...but I can't help but think they could've succeeded with much less fanfare by doing a 60 minute straight to dvd story 6 months ahead of "Avengers"...the way the whole movie is bookended by the present only compounds the sense that your whole purpose for watching the film is to prep for "Avengers" next summer, not to watch a Captain America story.

Given Cap's difficult translation to today, it's as good an offering as I would expect. So in the end, the film met my limited expectations without causing any outrages...which is a rare occurrence these days.

3 out of 5, and I'm looking forward to Cap's part in "Avengers".

6. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I love this film to death. Some of the most fun I've had watching a movie on the big screen.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fox is planning to reboot FF.

8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Seriously?

The world has gone "reboot" crazy...it's getting out of hand.

"oh, well that version underperformed, we can do it better."

Hulk...Spiderman...Fantastic Four...

There need to be rules:

1: You have to have at least a decade since the last installment of the previous version.

2: No cameos involving people from the previous version.

3: Don't COPY the previous version.

4: Rules cannot be overlooked because of poor performance. (Coming in 2012...Green Lantern Reboot!)

9. StarWarrior92

Jul 7, 2011
    Is is true that FF will be rebooted as a TV show?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That I don't know about- I just know Fox announced about a year ago or so that they were rebooting both FF and Daredevil.

The main reason is basically the previous installments underperformed (well, except Daredevil) but Fox has to make a new movie in those franchises to maintain the rights, or they go back to Marvel.

Same reason why the Ghost Rider sequel is happening, but is actually a reboot (though in that case, the film apparently couldn't be made within Cage, thus why it's a reboot/relaunch despite having the same star).

11. DarthEricD

DarthEricD Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2006
    Getting pretty sick of reboots. Nobody can come up with anything original these days.

Having said that, the new Spider-Man reboot looks alright.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dorman's Vader vs Cap

[image=http://davedorman.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/darth-vader-v-captain-america.jpg]

13. StarWarrior92

Jul 7, 2011
    That is soooo awesome. =D=

14. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I really thought / hoped that Captain America would break the $200m barrier domestically. Suprised that it hasn't, considering it was a good, fun film. I'm also suprised that Captain America didn't surpass Thor in the box office, considering he is a bit 'out-there' in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so to speak, ie: the cosmic storyline...

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thor was boosted by the good reviews and big international business. Though, it did cost 10 million more, so in the end, domestically, the two films broke about even (though they're both still bringing in box office money).

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Thor also came out in early May, which is a much better opening time then mid/late July.

Thor was early in the summer season when people hadn't seen much and there wasn't a lot to choose from.

The fact that Cap did as well as it has in the shadow of Harry Potter should not be overlooked.

Overall, I think both films got about what they were gonna get...neither was ever going to be a game-changer...one is an outdated relic that they are trying to bring into the modern era (both story-wise and concept-wise), and the other has always been a bit of a fringe element.

The modern world embraced the Iron Man franchise because it was identifiable as either a hysterical tongue-in-cheek joke on modern fame and responsibility, or the modern aspiration of every 10-22 year old male.

I think there is going to be a world of disappointed fans next summer when "The Avengers" isn't "Iron Man 3". It's a huge gamble they are making, assuming the Iron Man audience will embrace the character in concert, or even cameo...

In the mean time, the rest of the Avengers will have the general comic fans, their die hards, and hopefully a few open-minded new comers to win over to hope for significant impact next summer.

Personally, I think we're gonna see every scene from "Avengers" in which Iron Man appears by the 3rd official trailer...It's the only way that movie makes the killing they are gambling on.

It's Wolverine/X-men syndrome X 1000.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depends- first weekend in May is more prestigious, but mid-July is still an above-average release date (especially in the wake of Nolan's last two movies) and has the benefit of stronger weekday performance since more people are off from work/out of school, whereas early May provides better weekend performance but people are still in school, etc.

It's why Cap has managed to stay about even with Thor even though it's weekend grosses have been below Thor's.

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Oh, I'm not disparaging a July release date...but in the long run, relatively speaking, the studios tend to lead the summer season with their hopefully projects...late summer is usually 2 things: 1) Established franchises that will draw their audience at will (Transformers, Harry Potter, Batman), 2) Other summer films that didn't get the "May Release" seal of approval. It's not a bad thing that Cap released in July by any means...better then when they release "Daredevil" in February...talk about a death penalty.

Moreover, by the time you get to mid-July, you have much better competition for the viewing dollar...I think there were even some of the bigger multiplexes that still had a show time or 2 for "Thor" when Cap came out.

Therefore the fact that Captain America is even marginally similar box office-wise to Thor, means either Thor underachieved, or Cap overachieved.

And you're right that mid-summer releases have better whole week revenues...however, those numbers have been in decline since I worked at a theater a decade ago...only kids movies get a real benefit from "out of school" periods...which is why, consequently, most kid's films tend to release at Memorial Day or early June (when most elementary grades nationwide are finished).

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What strikes home about this for me is that years ago I had a dream in which every scifi and comic book character ever where gathered together in a costume party. It was sort of like a cosplay. Everyone from Indy Jones to Howard the Duck was there. The thing was that you literally had the powers of the person you showed up as and did battle. The damage was temporary, defeat someone and they just moved on to the next battle fully healed. I was Darth Maul and faced and defeated both Wolverine and Captain America. :cool:

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was actually a smart move- it opened up a new slot for action movies as counter-programming on Valentine's Day/President's Day weekends, which traditionally went to dramas or thrillers. It also gave them some records to boast about since it was the highest grossing opening weekend for a Feb release at the time, IIRC.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer for Captain America BD.

Has some glimpses at Avengers, as well as the next Coulson One-Shot (looks like he finally gets to kick some ass!).

22. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Cheers T2Q, how do you find this stuff?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just browse some of the major movie news and fandom sites (usually between AICN, Dark Horizons & io9, my bases are pretty well covered as far as links to material on other sites).

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked up the BD today. Skimmed the extras so far.

The One-Shot is ok, and is pretty much what you'd figure from the glimpses we've seen: Coulson stops for gas on the way to the hammer, which happens to be o the other films (other than the relkevawhen two guys try to rob the store, Coulson stops them, the end. No real other relevance to the other films (other than the revelation that Coulson apparently likes to listen to swing music ;)).

Deleted scenes aren't as plentiful as Thor's (just 4, I think),but there's a couple good bits.

-First one is an extended intro to the Norway scene showing off the Hydra tank earlier (so, not big loss).

-Second one is cooler, showing Bucky and the Commandos in battle against the Nazis, until the Nazi's get zapped by a Hydra tank. The commandos then wonder what happened, and the tank then appears to them and fires, presumably leading to their capture.

(I actually wish this one was still in the film- besides giving us some non-Hydra war action against actual Nazis, it has the added benefit of introducing some of the Commandos earlier, including Dum Dum).

-Third is an extended scene in the London planning bunker (after Steve plots the locations of the Hydra bases he saw on the map), which has two key additions with Tommy lee Jones commenting on Steve deserving a medal for dissapointing a Senator and various other politicians, as well as Stark commenting on how the small Hydra ammo clip "supposedly" is the most powerful explosive known to man, according to Steve. Steve questions the "supposedly", to whcih Stark comments something along the lines of "Well, either your wrong or (the scientists name) has found a way to rewrite the laws of physics.".

(an ok extension, but I can live without it)

-Fourth is an extended version of the Fury/Cap Times Square scene, with Fury answering a few questions ("The war, did we win?" "Hell yes- unconditional surrender.") and including some more "world still needs people like you" type comments to set up Avengers.

(some interesting stuff, but the shortened theatrical cut does focus more of Steve's emotional story).

The Avengers featurette doesn't have much- basically a neat montage of Avengers-related scenes from the various movies, with a few shots from the post-credits Avengers teaser and a shot of Joss on set.

25. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    I just picked up the Blu-ray and am excited about listening to the commentary. This is one of my favorite Marvel movies.