main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Captain and Pilot (Mara Jade DDC14) - cont'd in new thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tarsier, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Title: Captain and Pilot (a Mara Jade diary)
    Author: Tarsier
    Timeframe: ~12 ABY AU
    Characters: Primary: Mara, Dankin; Secondary: Karrde, Luke, Callista, Lando
    Summary: Under Karrde's guidance, Mara starts her own two-person company.
    Notes: For the Dear Diary Challenge 2014. This diary was not completed for DDC14, however it was restarted as Captain and Pilot - Part 2 for DDC16.

Entry 1

I’m doing this because I have to. I was told to keep a journal as I begin this new venture. What exactly is supposed to go in this journal is less clear. Karrde said, “Feel free to record your personal thoughts and emotions, I won’t read it.”

And I asked, “If you aren’t going to read it, how will you know I did it?”

His response: “Because I know you, Mara. I know you’ll do as I’ve asked.”

Stang you, Talon Karrde.

Mara, you know you have to write more than that. At least explain what this new venture is. -D

Chyntuck and Random Comments like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] =D= I will follow this one.This is just how Mara would start a journal too. ;)

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Short and very Mara

4. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    [face_laugh] Seconding that this "sounds" so much like her in such a short space. Of course she'll do the journal, reluctantly and with snark. I can't quite imagine Talon being suicidal enough to snoop. Hmm.

5. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I can see Talon snooping if it is a business journal. I think he would be scared to read Mara's personal thoughts from a private Diary, though. Nice start.

6. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Ooh, great start! But who is "-D"? I assume you meant Talon, but...

7. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    I am so use of seeing emotion-icons that I assumed it was a ;) instead of an initial, but I may be wrong.

8. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Oh. Yes, I suppose that could be. I guess I'm just old, and I detest the use of emoticons in the body of a fic.

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I love this idea! Do you have a PM List?

10. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Nyota's Heart Thanks! I've often thought one of the biggest obstacles to DDC is that a lot of characters wouldn't have reason to start a diary. I hope I've found a decent way to finesse Mara into journal writing :)

earlybird-obi-wan Thank you! :)

Kahara Thanks! And you're right, Karrde certainly wouldn't lie to her about reading her journal. :)

Ewok_Slayer and taramidala I seem to have hidden the ball more than I intended here. "D" is the initial of Mara's partner (not Karrde but the pilot in "Captain and Pilot"). I just always feel awkward about introducing him, he's a minor canon character and I never know if readers will have heard of him. I think the next entry will clear things up. Thanks for your comments!

Jade_Pilot I'd be happy to start a PM list. :) The next entry should be up tomorrow. Thanks for commenting!

11. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Entry 2

You’re reading this? Karrde said—never mind. Fine. The new venture.

A week ago Talon Karrde called me into his office. He said he had a new assignment for me. I’ll admit I’d been getting a little restless, and I have no doubt that he’d picked up on it. At first the assignment sounded pretty good. Karrde was setting me up with my own business. The idea of being on my own for a while was very appealing. I was almost excited, until…

Two words: Lando Calrissian.

I wasn’t getting entirely my own company, I’d be partnering with Lando. Apparently Karrde thought Lando could share some of his business knowledge with me.

My reaction may have been a bit over-the-top, but Karrde doesn’t know Lando like I do. He has no idea how insufferable the man can be.

I told Karrde, exercising what I considered a remarkable amount of calm, I learn best on my own; I am, in most things, self-taught. He said I couldn’t learn about working with others all by myself. Well, if that was what this was about, there were many people in this world other than Lando. I didn’t need anyone else’s knowledge or expertise; I would figure it out with a little time. Dankin’s name was pulled straight from the atmosphere, I suppose because I’d just seen him outside Karrde’s office. My point had been that I could run a successful company with literally anyone other than Lando.

But randomly chosen as it was, the name I picked apparently was the right one. Somehow, suddenly, we had a deal. I knew better than to question it—I had what I wanted.

So that's the new venture: a new company, supported by Karrde but run by me, with one other employeeKarrde's pilot and right-hand man, Dankin.

Karrde said he wouldn’t read. I never said I wouldn’t. Don't worry, if you start spilling your soul on the page, I promise to look away.
    -someone other than Lando (and proud of it)

Chyntuck, Gemma and Random Comments like this.
  12. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Oh, Dankin! Yes yes yes, I know him. Thanks for the clarification!

I'm loving this idea. What a great way to fill in her "off-screen time" during her trading years. :)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Taramidala said: I'm loving this idea. What a great way to fill in her "off-screen time" during her trading years. Yes! Very much a wonderful way to fill in the years/time she was captain of the 'Fire. =D=

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Great start to a Mara diary!

I loved Karrde was sure she would do it and there she was doing so!

I think Danakin's comments are going to be fun... if Mara doesn't kill him. ;)

15. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Very nice update. I'm glad you cleared that up. I didn't want Karrde getting killed when he wasn't even snooping. :p

16. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Oh so it's NOT Talon reading her blog. Very interesting. Thanks for the PM!

17. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    [face_laugh] It is kind of a wonder how Lando survived...

Mara's distaste for "group projects" seems realistic for her experiences. From what they show in the books, she had one of the least sociable jobs in existence -- at least when it came to interacting with anyone over a long period of time. People you are investigating and/or killing today don't count so much for cooperative learning.

Dankin was interesting in Worth Fighting For, so I'm glad he's in the cast here.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  18. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    taramidala Nyota's Heart I'm very glad to hear you like the idea! I was actually afraid the concept may seem tired. Thanks for your comments!

mavjade Thank you! Yes, Karrde knows Mara well. :)

Ewok_Slayer Thanks! I didn't want Karrde getting killed when he wasn't even snooping. Yes, that would have been unfortunate :p Sorry for the confusion!

Jade_Pilot No, it's not Karrde - sorry for the confusion! Thanks for commenting!

Kahara People you are investigating and/or killing today don't count so much for cooperative learning. Yes, exactly. :) I wanted to set this pretty early to capture the harsher, rough-around-the-edges Mara. I'm glad you found Dankin interesting before and I hope you like him here. Thank you for commenting!

Random Comments Thanks for the likes!

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I like her company. Dankin is an interesting character.

20. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    earlybird-obi-wan Thank you! :)

Entry 3

I’ve found a more private spot to store this thing. Should reduce the extraneous commentary.

Every time we have course change, Dankin and I have the least aggressive standoff in history. Each time as I approach the cockpit I see Dankin in the doorway, looking wistfully at the pilot’s seat.

I know Dankin is a good pilot. You don’t get to be pilot on Karrde’s flagship without being competent. But Jade’s Fire is my ship. And I pilot my own ship. So every time I brush past Dankin and sit in the pilot’s seat. Without a word he takes his seat as copilot.

I’ve heard rumors throughout the company that Dankin is absolutely intolerable as copilot. I never quite believed these rumors because Dankin is about the least confrontational person I know. Certainly I didn’t think it would be a problem here, I can’t even imagine Dankin questioning me or my flying. And he doesn’t, exactly.

Rather, he obediently sits in the copilot seat, glances at his control panel, and then stares intently at my controls. Watching every move I make. He periodically narrows his eyes or inhales deeply and I just know he wants to say something. But he never says a word. Instead, he makes minuscule changes with his own controls, as though to compensate for what I’m doing. Usually without ever taking his eyes off my controls, even as he adjusts his own.

I don’t think he does it just to be infuriating, but I now understand the rumors perfectly. I’ve been tempted to tell him to knock it off or send him out of the cockpit, but every time I start to he looks up at me with the look of an injured pitten. Somehow he can read my tone before I open my mouth.

The worst part is the ship’s never flown smoother and fuel efficiency is up 4%. It’s possible those constant micro-adjustments actually help.

Chyntuck and Random Comments like this.
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love her rambling about co-pilot Dankin

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Tarsier =D= =D= and [face_laugh] [face_laugh] This is absolutely the tone Mara would have about 1. I pilot my own ship [face_love] and 2. Dankin would be working my nerve, if it weren't for the fact his tweaks could be helping. ;)

23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm like Dankin. When I used to let my husband drive I would be in the passenger seat and constantly slamming on the imaginary brake on my side of the floorboard. He is the worst driver in the world. Hyper-aggressive and a speed demon. He drove us off an embankment once and we were actually airborne. Another time he pissed off a semi truck driver who forced us off the road. Another time he flipped the vehicle (luckily he was alone for that one). Now, if I am in the vehicle I am driving. I won't let him drive me around anymore.

Mara, just let Dankin fly. :p

Gemma likes this.
  24. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Love it!

25. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh no, not the puppydog eyes. :p I imagine it would be very frustrating to have someone backseat driving while you pilot. Dankin is pretty obviously trying not to be annoying about it, but he really wants to fly. Poor guy. Poor Mara, who also just wants to fly her ship.