main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Choo Choo! Solo Train Sequence Discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by TheNewEmpire, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    great scene although still never sure why Thandie Newton's character, Val, blew herself up (and I've seen it 5 times!) as for train instead of flying, well, the most important thing is that it's a Great Train Robbery from an old Western heist. So that's why it's there. In universe? Eh, the coaxium and the blah blah blah. Maybe they didn't want it landing in their spaceship engines and flying into a mountain so it works better by rail.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a lot easier for pirates to steal floating cargo than cargo attached to rails. We covered this in the previous page. :)

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I meant for me. Corellia was a nice intro, but I wasn't sure about the White Worms gang as an antagonist. Mimban was a bit too set-like for me, and I had hard time seeing what was going on.
    Vandor is where the movie found it's footing for me. And became my favorite of the 4 Disney SW films.

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Went looking for shooting location for Mimban.
    Found https://twitter.com/i/moments/1001910726280204289?lang=en , which has a bit at the end on the conveyex.
    Would love to know where that shooting location is. If it cannot be found, then it was probably stage with very good green screen. Controlling and maintaining the mist and correct lighting might not be economically possible / feasible for location shooting.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Brilliant sequence. I love the music, especially when Val fires her grappling gun. Those security droids spilling out to ad to the mayhem were brilliant too.

Now I really want to watch it again and I'm supposed to be preparing some work. Aaaarghhh!

Hernalt and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    I love that part of the score too!

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Great scene. I love the effortless way it, and subsequent scenes, introduce layers to the world. First, you have an Imperial train carrying fuel for Imperial military purposes. Then you have thieves trying to steal it. Then you have a band of pirates trying to steal it from the thieves. Then you learn that the thieves were working for a broader criminal organization. Then you learn that the broader criminal organization is so powerful that it can execute regional Imperial governors with impunity (and hosts other Imperials at parties). Then you learn that the pirates from earlier are actually proto-Rebels trying to finance a revolution against the Imperials.

That’s how you seamlessly build a world. Compare that to the ST’s “evil space Nazis and space good guys, with a couple of criminals and war-profiteers thrown in for color.” Just doesn’t compare.

whostheBossk and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  8. Rodney-2187

Apr 6, 2015
    That's the backbone of Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I like that we're starting to see shade of gray, but I don't mind straight up good vs evil either. I just like it all really. Well, not the prequels so much.

Mentioning gray reminded myself of this:

First comes the day
    Then comes the night.
    After the darkness
    Shines through the light.
    The difference, they say,
    Is only made right
    By the resolving of gray
    Through refined Jedi sight.

Journal of the Whills 7:477

Hope we get more things like this in Episode IX.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I have no doubt that the train scene in Solo was heavily, if not primarily, influenced by the Ord Mantell level in the Shadows of the Empire game on Nintendo 64. Obviously the graphics in Solo are much better than the graphics of a N64 game from 20 years ago, but the resemblance is undeniable.

This is the best walk through I found. It's better in 3rd person to show the resemblance. Skip to about 2:50 (or watch the lead up if you want):

whostheBossk and indydefense like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I disagree that the OT was that simplistic. Yes, we had the Empire and Rebels. But we also started the series with talk of Senates and regional governors, junk traders and farmers, smugglers and Imperial cargo, gang leaders, nomadic raiders, spies, bounty hunters, etc. Tatooine was a hugely rich and complex world, and that’s the very beginning of Star Wars. The ST stripped that down to simply facsists and freedom fighters, with a touch of local color. The beginning of TFA being the best, but it all dropping off considerably after that.

11. Rodney-2187

Apr 6, 2015
    A similar list could easily be made regarding TFA and TLJ. There were multiple spies and informants in Maz's castle, gangs, bounties, weapons dealers, code breakers, and so on, but just like with the Original Trilogy, that is all just the world around the main conflict.

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree that the anthology films are providing a rich and thorough depiction of the various layers of a complicated universe such as that portrayed in SW. I am definitely enjoying them and looking forward to them far more than the ST.

The scene in Maz's castle was one of the things that got me excited for the ST for the very reasons you mentioned. Same with Bala-Tik and his gang of mercenaries, I felt as though he was going to be the Boba Fett of the ST. I also agree with @Bor Mullet that the introduction scene of TFA was a very strong lead that looked as though it represented a complicated universe. TFA on its own is a very good film.

But, without getting into it too much, TLJ kind of derailed all that. And made it a simplistic run of the mill black and white space action adventure. If I'm being honest about it, I'm just not that interested in the ST any more as a result.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The weirdest thing to me about the train sequence?

It’s honestly so much more kinetic and fun than the other actions scenes that I kind of wish it was the final action scene of the film. The creativity of this rotating train that Stormtroopers can walk upside down on and keep on firing? The interruption by the proto-Rebellion? It’s all awesome.

Val’s deaths the only real thing that makes me kind of roll my eyes.

wobbits and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with that. I am not saying anything needs to be changed but that sequence is definitely like a third act finale was randomly dropped in between the first and second acts. It is climactic enough to be a lesser film's conclusion.

godisawesome and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. I certainly think it's a better sequence than the Kessel mines, which really feels like a rush job.

Yes, but in TLJ (and I'd argue, after the first act of TFA), those layers feel really thin. Like window-dressing as opposed to organic features of the world. Hard to explain that difference, but to me, it's significant.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In my headcanon, the coaxium is volatile enough that the manufacturer's prefer to ship it by rail, rather than have it subjected to possibly destabilizing effects of anti-grav fields utilized by most flying transports. So the train robbers were taking more risks to hijack it and fly away with it, and the owners were overconfident that no one would be foolish enough to try it, hence they assigned less security than we'd expect.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The easiest explanation to defend is that it’s far more difficult to steal a train car attached to a rail than to steal a train car that’s...not attached to a rail.

18. Rebel on Toprawa

Rebel on Toprawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2020
    People asks why are there trains in the Star Wars galaxy when there are spaceships. I can ask why are there trains on this planet when we have planes.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  19. Rebel on Toprawa

Rebel on Toprawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2020
    The Mimban battle scenes would've been WAY better if the extended scene of said battle would've been left in the movie. Much more emotional weight.

whostheBossk and Deliveranze like this.
  20. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Yep! I thought of SOTE as soon as I saw that sequence in the trailer. While it was cool to see that the Kasdans were influenced by it, another part of me was like "Darn it, Shadows should've been made into a movie! This sequence should be in a Shadows movie!"

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    At a time when SW fans are clamoring for any OT era material, it's astounding that Shadows hasn't been moved up the short list as a priority to get done as soon as possible. Personally, I thought Alden Erenreich would have made for a great Dash Rendar, so I consider that a wasted opportunity. So many good actors could pull of Xizor as well. A well executed Shadows production, like a mini series on Disney+, could really open up the flood gates for OT era material. They are sitting on a treasure trove with this, especially with an already built in following for it. It could even lead to Thrawn getting green lighted as the next major SW villain. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen until new leadership takes over LucasFilm. So hopefully that happens sooner than later.

22. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Not to mention the fact that it has a ready-made soundtrack! [face_dancing]

But I've heard rumors that the story group doesn't like SOTE, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with Xizor. :rolleyes:

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    You would think that Xizor could make for the perfect villain in this day and age. Makes too much sense I guess.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    You'd think they would be jumping at the opportunity to have Guri also. Give her a bit more modern marvel superhero look, and have her use her super strength fighting skills everywhere.

MotivateR5D4 and indydefense like this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I answer the train commentary simply: it’s a direct route for resources to travel. It’s the old West but in space, which was the tone of the film. No more thought needed other than that.