main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga - Legends Chyntuck's ramblings | "Fermu Soldatu Tin" (OTP Fairy Tale Challenge) | Replies 03 Dec 2017

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Chyntuck, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    The stories originally posted in this thread are currently being reposted in standalone threads or together with other fics with which they form a series.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Feline Trouble (written for the 2014 Mod's Dare Challenge, moved to The Whispurr Omnibus thread)
    2. A Tree-Dweller in Imperial City (OC Revolution 2014 Fall Challenge)
    3. An Appointment from Beyond (2014 Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange, written for Viridian-Maiden, moved to a standalone thread)
    4. Unexpected Parenthood (OC Revolution 2014 Winter Challenge, moved to The Family Holos thread)
    5. The Hairdo (Mods' 2015 April Fools' Challenge)
    6. Interference (FF Olympics 2015 Dare Challenge)
    7. Champion (OC Revolution Spring 2016 Challenge, moved to The Detective Eliskandro Stories thread)
    8. Life Is a Tapcafé (Black Sheep Squadron RPF tie-in, moved to The Life and Times of the Dancing Gamorrean thread)
    9. Fermu Soldatu Tin (OTP Fairy Tale Challenge)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feline Trouble

This story has been moved to The Whispurr Omnibus thread.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] =D= Fantastically humorous piece and dare entry. [face_mischief]

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Nicely done. I was laughing many times.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    This was absolutely hilarious! I too laughed aloud multiple times. The juxtaposition of the feline shenanigans with the Imperial seriousness was just absolutely priceless. Great job! :cool:

So many funny moments, but here's one of my faves: "Get that cat now or go to the brig." "I'll take the brig, sir. Should I report there straight away?" [face_rofl]

5. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    WHAT. IS. THIS. BRILLIANCE?

[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

I...I don't...I can't...I just can't even. Oh, man. [face_rofl]

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

SatineNaberrie, I have to tell you that I had a great time writing this. When I saw your dare in my inbox, my first thought was, "Oh, this is so totally for me!" :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Lurv! This is wonderful! I'd take the brig too over going after a cat in Vader's personal chambers. :D

Gemma, AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  8. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

...Because you know I couldn't resist. [face_laugh]

AngelQueen, Gemma, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Is it possible to like a post more than once? [face_rofl]

Thanks ThreadSketch! *hiccups*

Gemma and AzureAngel2 like this.
  10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] Very funny!

11. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    Bah ha ha.... that was hilarious!

Loved this mental image!

Great job! =D=

Gemma, AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Phew! I found a decent internet connection to post my entry for the OC Revolution Fall Challenge in the nick of time. Here goes.

A/N: I edited this story to replace "oratorio" with "cantatorio", which was suggested by Findswoman and is a much better and more starwarsy word for what I wanted. Since this story mentions a wordsmith, I thought it would be appropriate ^:)^

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A Tree-Dweller in Imperial City

Coruscant – Imperial Academy of Fine Arts, 6 BBY

Nazmat Koch stood by the door and watched this year’s batch of freshbeings file past her into the lecture theatre. Freshmen, she reminded herself bitterly. The days of the Old Republic, when her wards were sentients of every possible species, were long gone. Not only were they nearly all human now, but most of them also bore the unmistakable markings of Core World brats; she could see it in their swagger as they chose their seats. A glance at her datapad confirmed that some were the offspring of high-ranking Imperial officials –heaven knows how many doubled as COMPNOR agents. Well, they would get a run for their credits in her class, as young people said these days. The sentient who would intimidate Master Nazmat Koch into not teaching alien art wasn’t born yet.

The elderly professor walked back to the lectern as the last of the students came in. A blur of pink caught her attention – ah, yes, that handsome young man over there was a Zeltron, and several girls were eyeing him with great interest. As a matter of fact, a giggling swarm already occupied the seats around him, and the arrogant Core Worlders seemed rather upset at the lack of attention they were attracting. Nazmat Koch suppressed a wry smile – if only they knew, she thought, reminiscing of her own time in this lecture hall. Enjoying life ranked higher in her day.

The door finally closed behind a female student – a Sullustan, Nazmat Koch noted appreciatively, and a stylish one at that; the girl was sporting bright purple spikes that made the professor run a wistful hand through her wispy white hair. The Core Worlders sniggered at the sight of the near-Human, discreetly at first, but their chuckles erupted into a loud chorus of laughter when the door slid open again to let in a twenty-year-old woman who was definitely the most unusual creature Nazmat Koch had seen in years.

The new arrival appeared to be perfectly human, although a yellow Qukuuf mark on her left cheek belied that – chances being however that Core World students wouldn’t grasp such subtleties – but the contrast between her gait and her garb was staggering. She moved with the grace of a princess – not that she was particularly pretty, Nazmat Koch commented to herself; her features were a little rough and she still had the chubby cheeks of a child, but her step was so light that her feet hardly seemed to brush the ground. Yet she was dressed in the most backrocket assortment of clothes any Academy student had dared turn up in since the establishment of the Empire. She was wearing calf-length, baggy trousers and a loose, sleeveless tunic, both of which were made of some sort of soft leather that had been stitched together by someone who only had a remote understanding of human clothing. Her jet-black hair was styled in the thin, long braids that had gone out of fashion around the time of Finis Valorum’s chancellorship. They ended in heavy, wooden clasps that rattled with her every step. The soles of her sandals rustled on the stone floor as she hurried to a front-row seat near the Sullustan – the poor girl had turned scarlet under the mocking stares of her new classmates, and, after a glance at the assembled students, she had decided that sitting next to a non-human was probably the safer option.

Nazmat Koch gave the class her trademark stern look. The hubbub died out instantly and she picked her datapad to take the register. There were even more relatives of Imperial officials than she initially thought – on the first page alone, she recognized the surnames of a Grand Moff and two admirals, and that young lady in the third row who was batting her eyelashes at the Zeltron might very well be the niece of a member of the Imperial Council. She maintained however her practised indifference until a name jumped at her from the screen. “Eskari, Ayesha!”

The girl with the primitive clothes raised her hand timidly. Nazmat Koch’s features softened. Now it made sense. “Are you related to Namajib Eskari?” she asked. The girl blushed and let out an inaudible mumble. The class turned to her again, eyeing her with mild curiosity, except the Sullustan and the Zeltron who were now staring at her with undisguised eagerness. “Speak up, Miss Eskari,” the professor said sharply. “We cannot hear you.”

The silence in the lecture theatre was deafening. Ayesha’s blush would have darkened if that were possible. “He was my father,” she repeated a little louder.

“You’re kidding!” someone gasped from the middle row.

All eyes travelled to the Zeltron, whose skin turned a brighter shade of pink. Nazmat Koch allowed herself a smile. “I am quite certain Miss Eskari is not kidding, Mister...?”

The Zeltron swallowed. “Lamtee, Master. Lamtee Plohwell.”

“Well, Mister Plohwell, since you are so eager to talk, perhaps you could tell your nonplussed classmates a few things about Namajib Eskari?”

Lamtee looked around him to see that the swarm of giggling girls had clearly no idea what they were talking about. “Namajib Eskari was the greatest poet in the years before the Clone Wars,” he started enthusiastically. “He was a true wordsmith. He was from a Core World – Corellia, I think – but he’s best known for integrating elements of the Basic dialects spoken by non-humans in his writing.” The Core World clique snickered scornfully again, but he ignored them and continued. “He also experimented with poetry in various other languages, including Huttese. It had never been done before.” The snickering grew louder. Nazmat Koch frowned with a single eyebrow, restoring order in a heartbeat. “He travelled a lot and he lived on Zeltros for a short while. He wrote a collection of poems called The vortex while he was there. It’s strongly influenced by the Zeltron tradition of oral poetry in some aspects, but it also explores themes that were completely foreign to us, such as fear and apprehensiveness of disasters to come. It changed Zeltron poetry forever.” He hesitated. “I don’t know the details of what happened next, but he was taken in captivity by Zygerrian slavers at some point after he left Zeltros. His last collection, Silences from the Edge of Life, was published towards the end of the Clone Wars. Many people considered it his masterpiece at the time because it's written in a jumble of dialects that’s at the same time incredibly coherent, and the emotion it conveys is... well, that’s difficult to describe. It became an instant best-seller but it’s... not available in the market anymore.”

The Sullustan’s hand shot up. “Yes, Miss...?”

“Tashi Marath, Master. I wanted to add that several of Eskari’s works were set to music, often in the form of cantatorios. Some species even integrated his poetry in their worship hymns. I think it has to do with the unusual rhythm of his language. It's very fluid and it lends itself to many styles of music.”

Nazmat Koch nodded. “Indeed. It was a sophisticated form of poetry, for what I would argue were more civilized times.” Her beady eyes surveyed the room. Lamtee and Tashi were giving each other excited looks and Ayesha had slouched back in her seat, staring at her bag on the desk – an elaborate, if worn-out, leather satchel, the professor noted, most likely from some arboreal world given the pattern of twisted vines adorning its flap – but the expression of the rest of the students ranged from perplexity to disbelief. “Miss Eskari’s presence among us is the perfect opportunity for me to introduce the underlying theme of this course. The mutual influence, intermingling and interaction of various species’ art forms over the millennia is an essential aspect of History of Art, and it is a topic we shall discuss at great length over the coming year.” A heavyset girl snorted derisively. “Do you have something to contribute to this discussion, Miss...?”

“Marika Vandron, Master, and yes, I want to ask why we would have to bother with alien art at all. COMPNOR determined that...”

“I am well aware of COMPNOR’s... conclusions in the field of art, thank you very much,” Nazmat Koch snapped. “In no small part due to Crueya Vandron’s efforts to interfere in my teaching, I may add. I assume that he is a relative of yours?” The heavyset girl seemed to shrink under the elderly professor’s contemptuous gaze and merely nodded in assent. “I have the regret to inform you that COMPNOR may distribute scarlet holopanels to non-human artworks, but they cannot rewrite history. Furthermore, what you shall and shall not bother with in this class is my decision and mine alone. Am I making myself clear?” She surveyed the hall once more. The Core Worlders were exchanging increasingly perplexed, but also somewhat worried, sideways looks; Lamtee and Tashi were trying to maintain their composure and Ayesha had finally looked up with a glimmer of – was it hope? gratefulness? – in her eyes. The professor suppressed another wry smile. “You should all know that your end-of-year research project will focus on defining non-human influences on your homeworld’s art – or human influence, as the case may be,” she added with a nod towards the three near-Human students. “Miss Vandron, I recommend that you start looking into the introduction of Ossan syp wood carving techniques on Karfeddion as early as today. I have no doubt that you have much to learn in this area.”

Ayesha could have sworn that Master Koch winked at her before resuming taking the register, but Tashi turned to her before she could think anymore of it. The Sullustan’s wide grin caused her dewflaps to retract almost entirely. “It’s nice to meet you,” she whispered. Ayesha gave her a shy smile. “I love your dad’s poems,” Tashi went on, “but I never read Silences. Do you have a copy I can borrow?” Ayesha’s smile became embarrassed. Tashi chuckled. “Don’t worry, I know the book is banned. I won’t tell anyone, promise.”

A soft cough from the direction of the lectern attracted their attention and they looked up to see that Nazmat Koch was giving them a disapproving look. Ayesha blushed crimson again and lowered her head. “I like this professor,” Tashi whispered as soon as Nazmat Koch returned to her list. “She looks stern but fair. I’m sure I’m going to love this class.”

The first hour of the day’s lecture passed more or less uneventfully. Nazmat Koch spoke at length of Human-Duros interaction in the early days of the Old Republic and accompanied her discourse with an intricate holoshow to illustrate her points. Tashi was struggling to keep up. She didn’t have a state-of-the-art datapad to download the entire holoshow like the Core World students and often had to interrupt her note-taking to snap a holo of the piece of art on display. She was so absorbed in the lecture that she didn’t notice that Ayesha was taking handwritten notes on a scratch pad. She was about to leave the room at break time when she finally saw the many sheets of flimsi that were spread across her neighbour’s desk, covered in scribbles and incomprehensible sketches that bore no resemblance whatsoever to the artefacts Nazmat Koch had shown them. “Are you managing?” she asked as the rest of the students filed behind her. “I have a spare datapad at home. I could lend it to you if you want.”

Ayesha shook her head, her eyes still fixed on the flimsi she was holding. “It’s okay, I have one. It’s just that I like flimsi better. I can always go and look up the pieces in the library later, but drawing helps me understand them, you know?”

The sheet was suddenly snatched from her fingers. “You call that drawing?” a young man who had distinguished himself throughout the lecture as being particularly obnoxious and vain asked. He waved the flimsi in the air. “She calls that drawing!” he shouted gleefully.

The small clique of Core World students burst out laughing as they passed Ayesha’s sketch to each other for a closer look. “Why not?” Marika Vandron giggled. “Look at what they call clothes wherever it is she comes from. She looks like a tree-dweller. Who made these for you, a Wookiee?”

Ayesha was on the verge of tears and Tashi was glancing around frantically, visibly at a loss what to do, when a wrinkled hand plucked the drawing from the Vandron girl’s grasp. “Ah, yes. I remember seeing these sketches in your portfolio, Miss Eskari. They were most intriguing,” Nazmat Koch said calmly, silencing the Core Worlders.

Many of the less pugnacious students drifted towards the door, but Marika wouldn’t be put off so easily. “I thought the application portfolios were anonymous,” she said accusingly.

Nazmat Koch gave her a cold smile. “I stand corrected. I remember quite vividly the portfolio that included sketches such as this one. As opposed to, shall we say, other applicants’ portfolios of which I have no recollection. No recollection whatsoever.” She paused and let the unspoken implication float in the air, then returned to Ayesha. “However, I find it difficult to understand how you process visual information, Miss Eskari. Could you explain to me what these drawings mean?”

Ayesha was beet red again. “In this case I tried to capture the commonalities between the various pieces you showed us, Master,” she mumbled. “These here” – she gestured towards the pile to her left – “are the portraits created by Human artists. Those” – she showed the batch of sketches spread out to her right – “are those created by the Duros.” She would have liked to stop there and be forgotten, but Nazmat Koch was visibly expecting her to say more. She took a deep breath. As you said, the Duros fail to represent Human subjects’ noses and lips adequately. This influence is clearly visible even in later pieces.” She shuffled the flimsies to her left and extracted a doodle that was as indecipherable as every other one of her drawings. “Here’s a sketch of the statue of House Organa on the Avenue of the Core Founders. I drew this from memory and I know that the statue on display is a relatively recent copy, but I’m quite sure that the original was created by a Duros. Even after the Human artist corrected the statue’s facial anatomy for the copy, the nasal septum is missing.” She pointed at two pencil strokes in the jumble of lines and looked at Nazmat Koch expectantly.

Tashi didn’t understand Ayesha’s logic in the least – where in the Galaxy did she pull those visual clues from? – but she couldn’t suppress a grin at the Core Worlders’ puzzled faces. Even Marika Vandron had the unmistakable expression of someone who had just had the wind taken out of her sails. Nazmat Koch stared at the sketch for a couple of heartbeats, then returned to the lectern and activated the holoprojector to display a holo of the statue Ayesha was talking about. “That’s... very interesting, Miss Eskari,” she said after observing the holo. “I do not quite understand how you reached that conclusion, but you have a valid point.” She held out the sheet of flimsi she was still holding. “What of this drawing? You were studying it as if it held the key to the universe before Mister Griff here interrupted you.”

“It’s the ancient statue from Anaxes that you showed us, Master.” Nazmat Koch keyed the projector to display the right holo. “Yes, that one. You said it’s thought to have been created by a Duros, but there’s something off about it. The material is unusual, for starters. All the Duros works we saw were made of some kind of alloy, but this is stone. And the finger strokes that shaped the coating aren’t right. It’s as if this statue were modelled by someone gaunter, you know? I was wondering if the artist could have been a Muun.”

The Griff youngster let out a disparaging snort. “The Muun never produced an artist. Their only contribution to Galactic civilization is banking, everyone knows that.”

“Master Detrell will be delighted to know that you dismissed his pet project so offhandedly,” Nazmat Koch said glacially. Tashi stifled a chuckle. “Have you met him yet, Ayesha?” Ayesha shook her head, visibly overwhelmed – the stern-looking professor was addressing her by her first name! “No, of course you haven’t. Master Detrell has been researching the possibility that one of the earliest artists we know of was a Muun. He’s currently on sabbatical leave, but I will introduce you to him at the first opportunity. As far as I know he never considered the possibility that the Anaxes statue was a Muun’s creation and I am certain he will be very curious to hear your line of thought.” She turned to Boric Griff. “Mister Griff, your invaluable contributions to this conversation notwithstanding, you now have an opportunity to make yourself truly useful. Please go and summon your classmates back. We have another hour of work to do and I do not intend to waste it.”

To Tashi’s great satisfaction, Boric Griff looked absolutely mortified as he left the lecture theatre to call the class back. The students who were standing near the door drifted back to their places. The Zeltron called Lamtee gave Ayesha an encouraging smile as he walked past her. Tashi took her seat at Ayesha’s side. “You did good,” she whispered, nodding towards Nazmat Koch. Ayesha mumbled something about not wanting to come across as the teacher’s pet. Tashi chuckled. “Don’t worry, you’re not. You earned the prof’s respect with your comments. And I’ll take her as an ally over those poodoo-heads any day.”

The second hour of the lecture went by. Tashi was trying to focus on Nazmat Koch’s explanations about the impact of the opening of the Perlemian Trade Route and the establishment of the Intergalactic Banking Clan on the development of the arts, but she was constantly distracted by Ayesha, who was scribbling away furiously. She filled page after page with more of the mysterious drawings and occasionally tore a flimsi sheet out of her pad to write a few keywords that she interconnected with a complex system of arrows that Tashi couldn’t make sense of. By the end of the lecture, Tashi had given up taking notes and was staring at Ayesha’s desk with fascination. “Would you like to study together?” she asked as soon as Nazmat Koch finished distributing the homework assignments for the following week. Ayesha looked at her with utter bewilderment, as if it were the last thing she had been expecting anyone to ask of her. “What’s so weird? You're clearly very good at what you do and you have a unique way of doing it. I have an ulterior motive, you know. I’d be learning from you.”

“Can I join you?” a voice said behind them. They spun around to find the handsome Zeltron looking at them – he must have changed seats after the break, Tashi realized; his enthusiastic description of Namajib Eskari’s poetry had probably cost him the favour of the Human girls. “I’d like to learn too,” he said with a sheepish smile. “And I’m new on Coruscant, so I’d like to make friends. Maybe we can go for caf or something?”

“Sure!” Tashi said excitedly. “If that’s okay with you, Ayesha,” she added as an afterthought. She didn’t wait for an answer and went on. “I have an idea. There’s this Dug artist who’s inaugurating his new exhibition today. Let’s grab some food, and then we can go and see him. The gallery is somewhere below Coco Town. You’ll see, he’s very talented. His name is Mabalsa.” She pulled Ayesha to her feet.

“I don’t think I can come,” Ayesha said timidly. “I need to go to the library now to check out the pieces of art Master Koch showed us, because I’m working tonight. I have a part-time job in a diner.”

A datachip landed in front of her on the desk. “You may dispense with the library, Miss Eskari. I... how would you put it? Ah, yes. I’ve got you covered,” Nazmat Koch said in her crisp Coruscanti accent. Ayesha turned crimson once more, but the professor’s attempt at mimicking younglings’ slang made her smile. Nazmat Koch turned to Tashi. “Miss Marath, I believe that you said something about food, Coco Town and a Dug artist?” Tashi nodded. “Well, this combination sounds extremely interesting. I will take you there in my speeder, but I have two important additions to this programme. We will fly through the Fashion Concourse and will stop at the hairdresser’s.” She gestured towards the door. “Shall we go? This young lady has the prettiest blush on Coruscant, but she badly needs a haircut."

------------------------------

Note: The OCs in this story were originally created for my long-fic Ἀνάγκη – Necessity beyond Sway

Ewok Poet, Gemma, AzureAngel2 and 4 others like this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Chyntuck - love the glimpse into Ayesha's early days of learning. How innately brilliant and gifted she already was, her new friends, and how she impressed the professor, which I can tell is not an easy thing to do. :cool: Ayesha's strength of character is a wonderful thing, in the face of preconceived notions and silly stereotypes from others, classmates and so-called art fans alike. :p

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Love this glimpse into Ayesha Eskari's school days, packed (of course) with the signature Chyntuck cultural and artistic details—you've really got a talent for that. :cool: Interesting to meet her schoolmates, from amiable Tashi to hoity-toity Marika, and to see her win the respect of the grizzled but likable Master Koch. Even those who pooh-pooh Ayesha's outside-the-box way of thinking and learning and her outworld looks (that Wookiee comment—if only they knew!), can't help but be provoked to some thought by them. I like how her inner strength shows through even despite the snarky comments of the Coreworld set, and I find her alternation between moments of confidence and trepidation very believable for this situation.

And you know, what with all the very interesting and tantalizing background and details you've given us on Namajib Eskari's poetry between this and Anánke, you realize you're going to have to give us a sample sometime... ;) :D

Ewok Poet, Gemma, AzureAngel2 and 3 others like this.
  15. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    Chyntuck, loved this! My OCs a Core Worlder so I had to chuckle at the comment about "Core World brats" but I loved the way you described the difference. I loved the background about Namajib and his literary contributions. Languages and culture are clearly passions of mine - so your attention to detail on these topics is very much after my own heart!

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  16. Kahara

Kahara Force Ghost star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I enjoyed the teacher's point of view here and how she responds to the various students. She's an interesting one, both arrogant and compassionate at the same time. Things like the word choice of "backrocket" for Ayesha's clothing were so carefully chosen that I could really imagine her narration. And I loved her a bit for terrorizing the bullies who thought they could run the class, even as the setting made it seem really unwise.

Now I want to know what they did for the rest of their college years! The way that this group of classmates drew together through the events of the class was fun to watch and I liked that they all had different personal traits -- with Ayesha being new in town and frighteningly bright, Tashi trying to fade into the wallpaper but so enthusiastic once there's an actual discussion, and Lamtee deciding to be counted among the more outspoken students with the unpopular opinions. The way these three seem both eager and a little cautious in befriending kindred spirits is really endearing. It's sad and plausible that the students with a real passion for art are the ones everyone mocks. The class discussions are a great depiction of this bleak monotone world Coruscant -- sorry, Imperial Center :p -- is so desperately trying to become. Lucky for them that Master Koch isn't willing to back down or accept one bit more nonsense than the law requires (unfortunately, the law probably requires a lot of nonsense.)

Gemma, AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you all for reading, liking and reviewing :)
    Nazmat Koch is one of my favourite characters to write. I have her become more whimsical and eccentric with old age, so it's really good fun :D

How I wish I had that sort of talent... but unfortunately I don't :( The best I could do is to give examples of poetry I drew inspiration from when writing about Namajib Eskari. In this case what I had in mind was Neruda's Canto General as it was set to music by Theodorakis -- the marriage of my favourite poet with one of my favourite musicians. It always makes me cry.

I was reading your fic last night. Katya may be a Core Worlder but she's definitely not a brat :p

"Trying to fade into the wallpaper" is a great expression. We need to find a SW equivalent to it!
    Oh, and if you issue more OC challenges, you'll give me a reason to write more about this little group until they reappear as adults in my main fic ;)

18. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Sorry for reviewing so late. I loved the description of the poetry and think you should give us readers a sample of it some time. The teacher was a well done character. Very nice entry.

Ah now I know why a particular character we discussed some time ago is going to appear in your story, I'm going to have to start reading it before I change Internet providers and lose access to the 'net for a little while.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    The amount of insight into art and culture in the gffa is mesmerizing! I loved every bit of it. Ayesha explained Duros influence on Alderaan culture (or the House Organa statue on Imperial Center, rather) as naturally and fluently as I remember my film professors explaining German expressionism's toll on American film-noir. Srsly - this was great work and really fun to read because it fills out the gffa in a very careful and artful way. I'm going to have to start going back through your earlier stuff to get more!

Not to mention your erudite art scholars never feel upstaged by the wonderful interweaving of gffa art and culture. Maybe because while they're talking about art, they're surrounded by fascist and philistine forces. It really grounds these characters for me. Looking forward to reading more!

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  20. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    The fact that this is set in the SW universe took a really distant backseat to the awesomeness of this ficlet. I'm so narrow-minded when it comes to my personal preferences for SW fandom that it takes a LOT to get me interested in OC fics, but this did it, boy howdy.

[​IMG]

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks for the reviews and sorry for the delay in replying! DRL just laid a siege.
    ;) He isn't going to appear for quite a while yet though, so you have plenty of time.

Thank you! Welcome to Ayesha's world, I hope you'll like the rest too [:D]

PS: "fascist and philistine forces" is another good expression that needs a GFFA equivalent!

Thread, your comments fall in the "not safe for work" category. I just blushed a shade darker than Ayesha and my colleagues are wondering what inappropriate stuff I'm reading online [face_blush]

Gemma, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  22. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]:p

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  23. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Chyntuck: 'feline trouble' is nicely done. I enjoyed the Piett pov and how seamlessly you integrated the silliness into the serious. Poor maintenance droids.

24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Can't believe I didn't comment on this! I really did like it. Professor Koch controls the room like an old pro. And I love thinking about all the chaos that those three artists will cause once they get started ripping down the strict, dull establishment!

Great work!

25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you :) Nobody ever thinks of the poor maintenance droids. Imagine Vader's reaction if one exploded all over him [face_laugh]
    Thanks! That was an old pro comment ;) As for challenging the establishment, there will be some of that in my other fic, but I'm also counting on the OC Revolution thread to motivate me to better flesh out their Academy years *hint*hint*

AzureAngel2 likes this.