main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Classic TV

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Entropy, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    It babysat generations, distracted countless teenagers from homework and, as Homer Simpson sagely observed about television, became our 'teacher, mother, secret lover'. Sure, the shows may have been ludicrous, but they became part of our lives nonetheless. So what TV shows plays a large part in your childhood memories?

2. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    I would have to say, among cartoons: AD&D, Super Friends, and Starblazers were some of my favorites. And Thundar the Barbarian provided some interesting conversations about how not to so blatantly rip off Star Wars that even kids knew what you were doing.

There where lots of live action shows, but one of the most memorable was the 60's Batman show. I remember coming home from school one afternoon ready for my daily dose of the dynamic duo only to find out Reagan had been shot. Boy was I ticked off. I remember thinking, "I wish they had killed him, then maybe I could watch Batman!" I was a sick little tike.

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Let's see...

Thundar the Barbarian was mildly amusing to me as a kid. I also watched the Super Friends. But the ones that were classics back when I was a kid were still great. I'd get up extra early to watch the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show, Bugs Bunny, and Tom & Gerry.

There was also a Tarzan cartoon that I would watch occasionally.

Other TV programming that I remember fondly from my childhood:

• Welcome Back, Cotter

• The Greatest American Hero

• The Dukes of Hazzard (When I watch it now, I'm not sure why I liked it as a kid, but I did. ;) )
    • V: The miniseries

• Knightrider (I'm not sure why I liked that one, either. :p )

• Buck Rogers

• Battlestar Galactica

There were other shows that I enjoyed as I hit puberty, such as The Cosby Show, Night Court, and Cheers. I still like to catch those on Nick at Night.

4. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    I watched all that Minacia listed, plus a gazillion more...

Me favorite cartoons included Smurfs, Masters of the Universe, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Transformers, ThunderCats, any Popeye even the "newer" 70's and 80's including Popeye & Son, etc. etc.

Ahh...

5. Yoda1968

Yoda1968 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2004
    Captain Kanaroo! its hard to forget a dancing bear, when youre that young

6. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    NEVER missed Captain Kangaroo. Loved the man dearly and was depressed for two days after his recent passing. Another was, for any native NCers who might remember him, Uncle Paul. By the way, I was on that show in 1975. My kindergarden class went to WRAL studios and we taped the show that day, it aired the next. VERY COOL.
    Anyway, among my childhood favorites were, and still are:

M*A*S*H
    Happy Days
    Laverne & Shirley
    WKRP in Cincinnatti
    Alice(yeah, yeah, I know)
    Bugs Bunny
    Tom & Jerry
    Batman(60's version)
    Superfreinds
    Scooby Doo

7. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    I loved those too, Eddie-Wan (even Alice)!

And yes, I loved Captain Kangaroo (& Mr. Rogers - loved the platypus folks & Corny and... etc.)...

And I remember Uncle Paul. I probably saw you on TV and didn't know it...

I was on WITN-TV 7's WITNey the Hobo(like Whitney, but with the station's call sign). The weatherman at the time - Jack Roper - was the host. They filmed at Tarrytown Mall in Rocky Mount. I said what the foo-foo, I want to be on TV. I was....

Me also enjoyed other old favorites like Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle USMC, Bonanza..

Oh, and me loved B.J. (stop those dirty thoughts...) and The Bear, Sheriff Lobo (his own series, but don't remember the name.

Sheriff Lobo had a deputy named Perkins, I remember that much. I remember them investigating a haunted house once. Also, there was an episode where Perkins mistakenly shot a 100-pound bass he was supposed to be protecting. He hid it in the trunk of his car.. the leaking water was a dead giveaway...

And I liked.... Punky Brewster. Sad but true. I sent fan art of the dog Brandon once (it was solicited before commercial breaks) and got an autographed pic of Punky.. She said I had "Punky Power.." Yikes! Maybe that's why I'm still single...

There's more. Me will talk later...

8. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Forgot all about BJ & the Bear. The A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, man I could go on and on. I definetely watched to much tv. :)

Anyone else remember Carter Country? I use to love that show. "Handle it, handle it!"

9. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    I think I watched all of the above. But Star Blazers was a personal fave of mine. :) Faaaaar staaaaar blazers!

10. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I liked the moose on Captain Kangeroo. I also watched Mr. Rogers faithfully, as well as the Electric Company on PBS.

You all have mentioned other ones that I failed to mention, such as the A-Team, Happy Days, and I did love to watch WKRP in Cincinnati. Oh, and I also watched Silver Spoons and the Facts of Life. And please tell me I wasn't the only kid who tuned in to Magnum P.I.

11. M-of-SOG

M-of-SOG Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    For me it was The Monkee's, Batman, The Lone Ranger, I had forgot all about Unlcle Paul untill it was mentioned here. And for some reason i cannot remember many cartoons but i know i was always glued to the TV and always looked forward to the new fall line up of Saturday morning cartoons.

12. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    I don't remember Uncle Paul at all, though I did watch my fair share of Captain Kangaroo. I also liked Fraggle Rock, Scooby Doo, The Monkee's, The Lone Ranger, and The Great Space coaster. Oh, and of course, there was Space Ghost and the Hurculoids. Buck Rodgers and Star Trek were perinial "just before prime-time" favorites.

Man, there are just so many!

13. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    Oh yeah. I also remember the Tarzan cartoon. It seems like it used to come on right after (or before) Johny Quest.

14. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Wow, looking back it's no wonder I'm a bit twisted... The first things I can remember watching were

- the Smurfs
    - Master's of the Universe
    - Thundercats
    - Silver Hawks
    - G.I. Joe
    - Magnum PI
    - Dukes of Hazard
    - Knight Rider
    - Kids in the Hall
    - ... Michael Jackson's Thriller on MTV

I don't remember anything before that... but soon after I seem to recall Beavis & Butthead... and as I grew I started reading comics and loved anything pertaining to those characters... I guess not much has changed. My current must see line up (channels)...

- (SciFi) Mad Mad House
    - (SciFi) Tripping the Rift
    - (Cartoon) Samurai Jack
    - (Cartoon) Dexter's Laboratory
    - (Cartoon) Johnny Bravo
    - (Cartoon) Justice League
    - (Cartoon) Teen Titans
    - (Disney) Kim Possible [Damn you Cameron!]
    - (Fox) X-Men: Evolution
    - (WB) Angel
    - (WB) Charmed
    - (WB) Smallville
    - (WB) Simpsons
    - (Showtime) Stargate: SG1
    - (Showtime) The Outer Limits
    - and any of my favorites that have been canceled: Sliders, Forever Knight, Highlander: The Series, ST: Voyager (7of9), Babylon 5: Crusade, and I'm sure a ton more.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

15. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    I just started watching the reruns of Stargate SG1 on SciFi this monday. It's pretty good. I was surprised. To add to Lodreh's list: Babalon 5, Space Above and Beyond, and Firefly all rocked.

16. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Admittedly, I've never seen Firefly; though, I have always wanted to.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

17. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    Well, if Riff doesn't go ahead and lay claim to them in the next few days, I'll bring them with me this weekend.

18. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Sweet! :D

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

19. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    I loved Carter Country! Haven't thought about it in a while.

Oh, and I didn't mention the original LAND OF THE LOST!!! One of THE all-time best!!!! (if not THE)!!!!

20. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Do I dare ask if anyone else remembers H.R. Puff N' Stuff? Sid & Marty Kroft HAD to have been trippin HARD when they thought that one up. :)

21. M-of-SOG

M-of-SOG Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    Puff & Stuff ruled!! Man do i feel old now ! I think i remember Mamma Cass being on that, although i may be wrong.
    When your as old as i am and have killed off as many brain cells as i have you have to allow for such things

22. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    He's a friend when things get rough...

23. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Being that I was a girl and spent my childhood years growing up in the 80's and 90's, I watched:

-Rainbow Bright
    -She-Ra & He-Man
    -My Little Pony
    -Thundercats
    -GI-Joe
    -Smurfs
    -Gilligan's Island
    -Strawberry Shortcake
    -I love Lucy (can't stand it now)
    -Super Mario Brothers
    -Transformers

and now I love Courage the cowardly dog!

24. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    I saved this one..... "Battle of the Planets"! Didn't care too much for the re-done G-Force Cartoon Network version, but I got a set of the Gatchaman series on DVD and me like it! Lots. I used to make G-Force helmets out of paper to wear. I should make one now and wear it like all the time... Be at the movies and the person behind you says, "Hey, take that paper bird hat off, I can't see!" It's prescription, I'll respond...

25. jedidc

jedidc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    Favorite cartoon growing up: The Wuzzles
    - what a great idea...mix animals...genius!
    Current favorite cartoo: Tripping the Rift
    - this show just cracks me up b/c it so darn dirty...others watching it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.