main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Clone Wars/Rebels/Non-Book club books and comics: the LGA EU thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Mar 10, 2014.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Loved Twilight Company. Gritty and real without being Grimdark. Interesting characters and well written.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Kool.
    I am a bit in and enjoying it too. I may be the only one- but his style of prose reminds me of that of historian Shelby Foote, of "The Civil War" fame.

Not sure how one can fit an entire company into a Cr-90 corvette though. Maybe some "sister" ships will be in later chapters. But yes, I like it too.

3. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I've gotten behind on everything. Not sure if I'll ever catch up... pant-pant-pant.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Nah, of course you can catch up! Thats why you got us, remember?

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    No worries, we're here for ya.

Actually I can't say enough good things about the new Marvel Comics Star Wars titles. Great stuff.

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary is full of great stuff. Great pictures of costumes and props and factoids and little backstories on some of the background characters.
    Did you know Chewie is 234 years old which is "still not approaching middle age for a Wookiee"?

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Tell that to Kanjiclubb.

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Finished up Star Wars Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka (with some illustrations by Phil Noto) and really liked it. More of a YA book (just based on length and type face), it has three short stories--Finn's stormtrooper training, Rey's life of Jakku and Poe's recruitment into the Resistance.

No Kanjiklub story though

10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I liked it too, except maybe the FINN story as it may (from a certain point of view) contradict TFA's "I defected after my first mission" line. The Poe story was awesomesause, and made this fleet junkie very happy. Rey was good too. Basicly, I read this book back to front. :)

No Kanjiklub. Those little freeks.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I read the first Poe comic out last week. Pretty good and I really love the Phil Noto art. I even scored a Jaxxon variant cover.

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    New Poe today! (The thing with the egg was kinda Waru-level weird.)

Lifedebt drops next week. I'm getting it. Anyone else? Or, am I alone in my Aftermath love?
    MTFBWY
    Jammies
    \Present tense is jarring at first. When I read a Windig book I can't switch to other books like I usually do, but have to stick with it. Too much time travel (tense travel?).

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, that first Poe arc was kinda weird. Might have dropped it if it wasn't for the artist. This new arc seems to be shaping up into a Rogue Squadron type caper though.

Too many bad reviews on Aftermath for me to try it right now. Don't have time to waste on books that are poorly written. I guess I'll see when the trilogy is complete and it can be looked at as a whole.

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    And..... I'm loving it. But that's why Baskin Robins has thirty two flavors huh?

I really liked afternmath and am liking life debt even better. I love the look of this new post ROTJ landscape. And we get that via Winding"s short enter'ude chapters, while Captain Sloane (from JJMs Rebel Down, Marvell comics, Insider short stories, etch.

I think most of the angst is that some felt this book cycle would be like the Thrown trilogy, and it is not. Plus Winding"s style is not easily accessible as he writes in the present tence.

I'd read them, if you have some empty slots on your reading list someday. I would even let you borrow the audio books, as they are really well done.

Mtfbwy

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Zahn and Thrawn are back!
    Wow.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    And Wedge! But mostly Thrawn! I would have lost my mind if I would have been there in London when they announced this. It was all I could do to keep it together at work.
    And it was so artistically done.

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We know Wedge was recruited by Fulcrum, and in the clip he and two others (Hobbie? Please?) are in Imperial uniforms. So. Did he defect via a new agent with Asokah's codename or is he a rebel about to do a black op in a TIE fighter?

Also: Thrawn!

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thrawn!

21. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Thrawn!!!

22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003