main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Corellian Prodigal- the diary of Kylan Sheffield (KOTOR, diary challenge) Updated 2/6

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Commander-DWH, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Title: Corellian Prodigal- the diary of Kylan Sheffield
    Author: DWH
    Characters: Kylan Sheffield
    Genre: A bit of everything, I reckon.
    Timeframe: KOTOR
    Summary: A diary of the exile of Kylan Sheffield
    Notes: For the events leading to this diary, check out For a Herd of Holy Herbivores

Day one: in transit

I did not expect this one, I must confess.

When I left Corellia, my intent was to help people. To save them from the oncoming attackers. You know, be noble and all that. Leiraya thought I should have stayed, which was probably why I never properly said goodbye. In retrospect, that was one of the most cowardly things I have ever done, and now I?m regretting it, because I can?t even go back to apologise. In fact, I?ll probably never see her again- it will be best for all involved if I don?t. Gavyn told me that if the Republic found me, they?d have to turn me over to the Agamarian government for my trial. Because I blew up their holy bovines.

If I had known it would be a herd of livestock that would be my undoing, I probably would have just stayed put.

But, here I am. Running away, because it?s all I can do. I can hope that nobody will find me. I?ll probably have to change my name, get new papers? but Gavyn gave me some names, and some money. I?ll get by. I?m not sure what I?ll do, though, since I can?t be a Jedi. Maybe I?ll go back to a waterfront job, like I had on Corellia. Won?t be the same without Leiraya there.

Damn, not saying goodbye has been haunting me these last few days. I always figured I?d apologise when I got back to Corellia, she?d hit me upside the head, and we?d be good. She?d still be mad at me, but I?d have a chance to say I was sorry, at least. Now that chance is gone, since I certainly can?t contact her. If I did, she?d come after me, whether anyone wanted to let her or not.

I wonder what Gavyn will tell everyone back home. Moreover, I wonder what they?ll do about it.

Space is cold. You?d think I would have gotten used to it, but I haven?t really. I grew up with wide-open spaces and lots of green. And my robes are still green, though I?ll have to get rid of these, too. Trying to find the Corellian Jedi? Look for the shifty-looking character with the green robes. It?s not like there are that many of them who ever leave the planet, so odds are it?s our culprit. No, the robes have to go, which makes me a little more sad than I would have expected. Maybe I?ll save some of the fabric and make something. Sewing never was my strong suit, but I imagine I?ll have quite a bit more free time for a while.

I believe we?re headed to Borleias. I can only hope that I fare better on this world than I did with the Republic troops.

2. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Hoorah! I'm glad to see that you're writing from Kylan's perspective!
    I love the insight that this is going to shed on the relationship between him in Leiraya.

Excellent start!

3. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I agree with oqi, awesome to see Kylan as the feature here.

I remember reading the fic you wrote of Kylan's leaving Leiraya behind to join the war, and its cool to see this side of it.

=D=

I'll love to keep up with this one.

4. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    good start I'll have to look up the original story.

5. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    oqi: Yeah, I thought I'd shake things up a bit, and I hear there's some curiosity as to what Kylan's been up to. :)

c_ale: Good to have you aboard!

Lea-El: Welcome to the crazy adventure that is the Blue Side, whether you check out the main epic or not. :p I'm glad to have new people braving my little corner of the KOTOR universe. :)

Day Two: Space Station RTX-2394 in orbit around Iridonia

Knew I shouldn't have gone to Iridonia.

"It'll be fine," I told myself. Gavyn's friend Arden had an Iridonian tech, and those two were inseperable. He did good work, too- in the one campaign I served under General Moore's command, I was relegated to repair duty after it was over. Which is mostly to say that Bao-dur did all the work, and I handed him the tools. He was a very affable sort of person, and very much not like the stereotypes you usually hear. Iridonian mercenaries are typically some of the most bloodthirsty beings you'll find. I thought going to Iridonia was a grand idea, Bao-dur being such a nice guy and all.

Oh, was I ever wrong. And I have three burns and a black eye to prove it. I don't really feel like rehashing the gory details, but suffice to say I should definitely look into what counts as insulting in a culture before I try to mingle with it. Should have learned that one after the bovines.

I can feel Leiraya laughing at me and my cultural ineptitude. If I could relate the story, no doubt she'd be amused.

Still, I think we can count this journey a success. I picked up a freighter from a friend of Bao-dur's, and Gavyn pointed me towards a good identity forger. I am now Darcy Oberon, lately of Alderaan, and I'm riding out of here on the Indigo Moon. I found some new clothing, so I look considerably less like a Jedi, and I've stowed my old uniform in one of the hidden compartments. I won't part with my lightsaber just yet. It's hidden, but within easy access.

Well, now it's time to find myself a new life on Borleias. New beginnings are good, and I'm sure Darcy will make a wonderful job candidate.

I just wish I didn't hate myself for running.

6. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Day Three: Borleias

This has been what I would define as a long day. A very, very long day.

First of all, piloting was never my strong suit, but I can manage. But, as it turns out, managing is about as far as I can take it. I came quite close to destroying my landing struts upon my arrival. How did I manage that? Well, if I knew, I would tell you. My job has always been to either keep people from killing themselves, or to keep people from killing other people. Which occasionally involved killing. Blowing things up, I can do. Destruction, mayhem, a good dose of temporary chaos, I'm all over it. I can run straight at it and come out the other side without too many bruises. Try to get me to keep something in one piece, and we might have some issues.

The bright side to all this is that one of the locals, a fellow named Jonis, noted my disaster of a landing, took pity on me, and has taken me in. He's a mechanic employed by the spaceport, and has a wife and two daughters. My first instinct was to distrust him- I've been at war too long to accept an invitation to dinner at face value. However, I sensed no ill will or duplicity in him, so I decided to join him. His family is very warm and welcoming, and staying at his home is almost like being back on Corellia again.

Jonis said I could stay at his place until I find a job, and that, failing anything else, he could train me to be a mechanic for the spaceport. I think I'll check the waterfront postings, first- we're fairly near the ocean here, and that's where all my experience is. I even have Royal Alderaanian certifications to show for it now. Very impressive, I'm told. Hopefully getting a job won't be a problem, and finding a place to stay shouldn't be far behind that. Though I wouldn't mind hanging around- Jonis is truly a decent man, and I wouldn't mind getting to know him better.

The only trouble is, of course, that he can't really get to know me. Though I've had to hedge around my Corellian accent already- I lied and said I grew up on an Alderaanian embassy on Corellia. There is no Alderaanian embassy on Corellia, but it's hard enough to be granted passage on to the planet proper that it's hard to know for sure if you don't live there.

We'll see if I can keep this act up. I see fun times ahead. If "fun" is the word for it.

7. GraySaberFreque

GraySaberFreque Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2006
    I love this.

Its both hilarious and depressing at the same time :).

8. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Yay! More of that wonderful craziness that is the Blue Side! And I like Kylan Sheffield a lot. good start. If you have a pm list for this, will you put me on it?

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    [face_laugh]
    This is hilarious.
    I love it.
    cam't wait to see the trouble he'll get himself in.:D

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    double posty[face_blush]

11. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    [face_laugh] Poor Kylan, er, Darcy...Not all Corellians are great pilots.

And that's the problem with living on the lamb, you can't make any true friends.

=D=

12. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    Ah DWH, I always do love your stories of wierdness.

And this one's no different. Please add me to your list.

13. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Sorry to everyone for this update being forever in coming... my Winter Term project took me away from the internet most of the time, and I was so fried at the end of the day that I lacked any inspiration whatsoever. But I'm back, and will keep up a much more regular posting schedule. What that is I'll figure out once my class schedule settles in.

GreySaberFreque: Thank you! Kylan's story is fun. I hope you enjoy it. :)

RoguePilot: I'll start a PM list, just for you. :D Glad you're aboard for the reading!

MsLanna:
    Oh, there will be trouble. Lots and lots of trouble. Because Kylan's just plain trouble. :p

c_ale: Glad you enjoyed, and yeah, Kylan's going to be in for a lonely journey...

Aiden_Sanic: Hey, long time no see. Good to see you back here again. :)

Day 32: Borleias

Job searching. It's something I never had to worry about as a Jedi. Jedi are always employed. Go, do a mission there. Teach younger students over here. While you're at it, keep peace in the community. Got that? Good.

My respect for non-Jedi has increased exponentially of late.

I don't think I quite realised the effort it takes to actually get a job anywhere, especially if you're an offworlder. Do you have proof of your Alderaanian citizenship? Do you have a permit to work on Borleias? No? Well, here- go to this building over here, where they'll bombard you with paperwork and a few fees, just for good measure. Maybe in a few weeks we'll get to your application, and then we'll call you in to ask you a million pointless questions before finally forking over your permit.

Granted, I suppose they had reason to be careful, but their prodigious amounts of questioning did not catch the fact that I'm decidedly not at all Alderaanian. Guess the guy on Iridonia did good work.

Finally got myself a job at the waterfront, having spent the last three weeks getting permission to be here for an extended time, and another week waiting for the work permit to go through.

Force, I hate bureaucracy.

Jonis has been more than accomodating, and in return for him putting me up while I did the paperwork runaround, I did some simple household repairs and plenty of free babysitting. His daughters, Malia and Naomi are sweet and fairly well behaved, but excessively girly. Fortunately, there is sbsolutely no holographic evidence of the makeover they decided I needed the first time I babysat them. And nobody's ever going to hear about that one, if I can help it. In any case, they're happy to have someone new to give them lots of attention, and I grant I'm happy to have something to do. Even if it's just helping them out with their math homework.

14. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Yay! more of Kylan!!!!!

this is a neat little entry. I like when the "author" writes about absolutely nothing in his journal, and yet manages to make it interesting. Cool update. Can't wait for more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.