main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch Crosshair (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Mar 31, 2021.

?

What happened to crosshair?

1. He’s dead

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Joined the empire

29 vote(s)
    93.5%
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    One thing that I worry about is that, according to the initial reviews, Crosshair's story in The Bad Batch season 2 is "tragic" and "heartbreaking." That last word especially gets me. I makes me feel that we'll be left feeling sorry for Crosshair. And that's enough to make me feel antsy about where his storyline is headed. It would truly suck for him to suffer even more.

Generational Fan likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Cody's words about the difference between droids and them. Having to live with what they've done, the choices they make are going to ring painfully as Crosshair's arc moved forward. It does seem like he has been knocked down a peg since Cody was an exception to Reg's to a point. He was viewed potentially as an equals in the original The Bad Batch arc. He had zero respect for Rex, initially refused to follow his command. But with Cody he was happy to have him in charge. Yet, Cody could not shoot the governor in cold blood. He did not side with the empire openly. He has doubts the Jedi were traitors. Immediately after the missions, he is either AWOL. Or, was actually taken away for disobeying an order.

Crosshair saw himself (and the rest of the Bad Batch) as better than everyone else in TCW's The Bad Batch arc. That's exactly his motivation for staying with the Empire. He's a soldier and he's better than everyone else. But Rampart views him as one below plant life. This is only going to get worse. I wonder how far into the season before he has his next meeting with Hunter and the rest of them. There is foreshadowing for both Crosshair and Hunter, either one to kill Rampart.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  3. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    That worries me a little too because are we going to have a repeat of yet another "tragic" storyline character that is completely bad right up to their final moments and then do a "really great thing" to complete their redemption arc. Come on Dave and Lucasfilm, we've already had Anakin and Ben and may be a few others. Come on, think outside the box a little and progress a character that does not follow a cliche formula.

If this indeed does happen, the obvious choice is that right at the end of season 2, he will sacrifice himself (and probably kill Rampart at the same time) and save his fellow Bad Batch brothers and sister. And if true, as heart-warming and emotional as the moment will be, it's a well-trodden path. I would rather see the Crosshairs character taken in a direction that's a little uncomfortable and not what was expected.

But obviously, I have not seen the full season, so I will reserve judgement. I just don't want cliche formulas all the time; especially for this character who has already been taken in a direction that I was not expecting, but am really enjoying the different character journey.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I actually have wondered if Crosshair's situation is going to be important for Hunter's character arc in the future. I don't think Hunter is as one-dimensional as fans make him out to be. Since his introduction. Just as Crosshair started out as an ******* troll who thought he was better than everyone else which has motivated him this far. Hunter is simply a realist to a fault in my opinion. He doesn't think there is any way any one can take on the Empire. Much less he and his brothers can make a difference. He also knows is they aren't good at much else than being soldiers just like Crosshair. So all he thinks he can do with his squad is be Mercenaries, stay off the radar, and do the best job they can to stay alive and protect Omega. Just like how he didn't think there was any way in hell Echo would be alive until he was proven wrong. Echo now walks with him. He's largely taken Crosshair's spot as his unofficial second man.

But, the more Rampart does use Crosshair as his dragon to do the Empire's dirty work. The more he is involved in things like what happened in the last episode. The more I think Hunter is going eventually feel some responsibility beyond just wanting to rescue his brother. He had his chance. I think more than just getting outvoted by the rest of the squad Crosshair is going to play into his motivation for why Hunter decides to fight down the road. I feel like that was foreshadowed in last season's finale as well as the glares he was giving Rampart.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  5. Generational Fan

Oct 21, 2015
    And that, by its very definition, would be great character growth in Hunter; whom I'd agree has stagnated a little in his arc and has become, as you say, abit one dimensional. If he can use his experiences with Crosshairs and use Crosshairs as some sort of role model (but for the good side) to fight for a purpose, then that would be great character development for him.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Crosshair.

7. Generational Fan

Oct 21, 2015
    Meesa musta have hadda few too many as I was seeing 2. :)

InterestingLurker and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d hate to see what his evil twin would be like!

9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I... understand, but that's not what I'm interested in.

I actually want Crosshair to be redeemed.

Yeah, I said it: I want another redemption arc.

That's how much I care about Crosshair.

I mean, I would prefer it be done well, but I can see how it could be tragic, in this particular way:

If he returns to "the Batch" and the probable brewing Clone rebellion, he will be disrespected by them or at least by other Clones.

If he continues to serve the Empire, he will still be "Stannis Baratheon" from the Books, trying to serve an Emperor and Empire that doesn't care about him.

Which is frankly tragic to me: that he'll be burdened with his mistakes later on as he goes forward, no matter how he chooses at the end of the day.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, in a way.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He may be disrespected if he comes back to the clones, but clearly that’s a less damnable existence than continuing to serve the Empire. At the very least on a moral level. So yeah, that’s what I’d like to see him do. Return to his clone family, and perhaps ultimately end up part of the proto-rebellion, but never be really trusted.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  11. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Saw a comparison between Crosshair/Hunter and Pat Garrett/Billy the Kid; not that are very alike cases, but I can see similarities.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do wonder what is the end game for the character? Death or Redemption? Also if they do redemption don’t kill him off 5 seconds later

clone commander bossk and Wolf43 like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Crosshair, whats going to happen to him now with removal of Admiral Rampart?

14. Cad_Bane's_Hat

Cad_Bane's_Hat Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2022
    This'll probably confirm his existing doubts about the Empire and its utter lack of loyalty. Cody does the right thing and honors his agreement yet he isn't rewarded for it. Palpatine made it appear that the destruction of Kamino was part of Rampart's own personal ambitions. It's all kind of a free-for-all, and being a good solider isn't enough to get by.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It will be intresting when visiting Crosshair again.

16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Will Palpatine's speech at the end of the latest TBB episode cement Crosshair's status as a "believer"?

I wonder if there will be some form of small scale "civil war" between the different clone factions? Another continuation of the Umbara story?

17. Cad_Bane's_Hat

Cad_Bane's_Hat Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2022
    I'm just curious what it means to be "a believer." A believer in the Empire? Cause it doesn't look like Crosshair has much faith in it, especially with how he was treated by Rampart. And just seeing how the clones are being treated in general should probably signal to him that he's disposable as well.

18. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I was thinking that Crosshair could become more like the "unknown" clone in the latest TBB episode because Palpatine appears to have "rooted out" the conspiring Rampart, maybe solidifying loyalty in those clones who remain loyal to following Palpatine's orders.

It could put a but more dramatic tension in Crosshair's motivations (although he is quite dramatically tense without it!)

TheSithApologetic likes this.
  19. TheSithApologetic

TheSithApologetic Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2022
    Makes me wonder if he’ll remain with the Empire. If he does, hats off to the writers for some originality.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Maybe the Empire wont even let him be with them.

21. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell. But by a New Hope clones still serve in the Empire, though it is a minority. Whether he will be around by that time or still serving remains to be seen.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Crosshair too old by then. Rex is in his mid 60's by ANH. olny clones who might still be in service are the young clone cadets or fetus.

23. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    Like the one clone stormtrooper that stopped to interrogate Ben and Luke on Tatooine.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Is that a fact or a theory

25. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    Fact. Let me find the link.