main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Darth Plagueis in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DANNASUK, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Palpatine in now omniscient?

I think people forget this line:

“Your overconfidence is your weakness.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSennia likes this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    You don't have to be omniscient to know whether someone is head or not. Sidious would've known if Plagueis was dead or alive or even if he actually killed him or not,lol.

Its not even like the laugh we heard in the TROS teaser trailer is supposed to be Plagueis(or Snoke).[face_rofl]

3. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Nobody said it was LOL. Palpatine also said “To cheat death is a power only ONE has acheived...”

Point is Palpatine is not a reliable source.

4. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Easy way to explain that away is that Palpatine didn't know he already knew how to cheat death. In fact, they can even take it a step further and say Palpatine played right into Plagueis' hands when killing him. I.E. That was part of achieving the power of cheating death.

Similar to how it seemed like Palpatine wanted Luke to kill him and arguably why it seemed like it's possible that maybe Snoke wanted Kylo to kill him.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    KSennia and StoneRiver like this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    There is nothing to take further.

Maul came back and refused to die directly before the events of ROTS. Palpatine could've simply been making it all up to tempt and lure in Anakin since Anakin wanted to save Padme. The same thing existed before with his failure to save his mom and stop her from dying. It was everything Anakin wanted to hear, and Palpatine only brought up the tragedy of Darth Plagueis after Anakin rejected his prior attempt to snare him as he remained committed to the Jedi Order. The "power to cheat" comment was an ambiguous statement and admittance that he did not know everything from Plagueis before he killed him. Anakin was hoodwinked.

In fact Palpatine is heard talking to Anakin in his mind 0

Palpatine V.O.

You do know, don't you, if the Jedi destroy me, any chance of saving her will be lost.

Plagueis was long dead for years prior to when he talked to Anakin at the opera, and Palpatine even starts off the conversion as if trying to pass Plagueis off as an old Sith legend. In fact all we know was that he died probably 15 to 25 years before TPM. Do you really think Plagueis will make a return some over 30 years after ROTJ?! LOL

Maul came back from the dead according to Yoda and Kenobi openly expressed his amazement and frustration that the Sith do not die directly to Palpatine. And Sidious was impressed Maul survived and that something like that could be done. He was again surprised Vader survived on Mustafar. I hardly doubt Sidious believed in his Plagueis tale, or had everything he knew before he killed him as evidence points to the fact that he did not. In fact Sidious was allied with Mother Talzin we learn and they plotted to take over the Galaxy before Sidious knew of Maul and took him instead. but she was only one that convincingly survived death during and came back again. Only other candidate is Momin.

So being that Palpatine knew of Maul, Talzin, Vader survival cause of their power and knowledge of the Force and Momin(and even Immortal Rur), he is the most likely one to appear and not Plagueis who is a literary dead end fairy tale.

6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Ah, I understand. Anyone and everything else but Plagueis LOL!

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I've seen Plagueis. The Plagueis that you've seen. But you have no right to call him a murderer. You have a right to kill him. You have a right to do that. But you have no right to judge him. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what Plagueis means. Plagueis has a face, and you must make a friend of Plagueis. Plagueis and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies!

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm sorry but I'd rather have the main villain of the Saga return to close out the Saga than Plagueis who had a single mention in the six previous films. If you're bringing someone back from the dead anyways you bring the top dog not the guy he murdered a hundred years ago.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You want to go dueling over a divisive-by-design movie? As some guy once put it: Go home and rethink your life. :D
    See, winners.

[​IMG]

OK, yes, it's any excuse to use a Hamm-as-Gabriel GIF.

3sm1r likes this.
  10. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    George & Oz didn't think it was "divisive".

"By design" is pretty clearly hyperbolic, too, with nothing to back it. End result splitting the fans is one thing, it's another to just state Rian came at this intending to **** with people as the goal. Kennedy wouldn't stand for that, and she didn't have to because it wasn't the case.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    KyleKartan likes this.
  11. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    For what it's worth, RJ did say his intention was "to subvert fans expectations". Does that necessarily mean he was "intentionally divisive"? no, but one should surely expect a significant number if not even a majority of fans to see it that way. With this now leading into the 3rd installment of a trilogy, what RJ did with TLJ, makes if hard for JJ to create something that does not continue to subvert expectations, when no one really knows what to expect.

You add the Palpatine laugh in the teaser, and now that subversion has begun even before the real ad campaign has begun. With all of this I can fathom how you include Plagueis and explain his absence for the 8 previous movies and it even remotely feel like it flows.

12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Palpatine the puppet master, Palpatine the master manipulator, Palpatine the embodiment of evil etc..

Vader and Palpatine have been pure gold for LFL over the years, if you follow the literary theory of the better the villain the better it makes the hero, Palpatine's return was the only thing that could elevate Rey to a hero befitting of a whole trilogy.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The whole point of an emoticon at the end of a line is a hint to not take said line that seriously.

If you want to know where the idea that TLJ is deliberately divisive is got from, here's the answer.

Head over to the Rey and Kylo Ren thread, there's a great exchange between Enderandbean and godisawesome across three different modes of viewing the Rey and Ren plot in TLJ. Each deploys three sets of detailed arguments. And I'm to believe that isn't deliberate on the part of those who created it? So no, it isn't excessive to say they wanted to provoke. What I don't think they factored in is the degree to which they would be very, very successful at doing so. Over a year and a half later TLJ remains a hot topic.

Can post links to the posts later, can't do it on the phone. I recommend the exchange to everyone as an example of what discussion can be too.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Here's the links to the exchange, they are well worth reading:
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/rey-kylo-ren-in-episode-ix.50047262/page-835#post-55900011
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/rey-kylo-ren-in-episode-ix.50047262/page-835#post-55900182

Two entirely different takes on the same source material. There must by now be hundreds of for and against TLJ articles, so when I view it as being deliberately divisive and provocative I'm not seeing why that is a problem. It's simply it's nature. Whether I like it or not is a separate and personal value judgement that shouldn't affect anyone else's perception and view.

Now, back to that.... What was that guy's name in ROTS again? Yeah, the guy we're supposed to be talking about here?

15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Episode IX: Emperor Palaptine Strikes Back

KSennia likes this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    That's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

KSennia and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Plagueis is dumb.

18. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I was under the impression that he was wise.

Django Fett and Immortiss like this.
  20. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    No...

[​IMG]

It still burns me up that this specific line of dialogue was used with what appears to be no Plagueis payoff in the end.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    KSennia, Immortiss, lawton and 2 others like this.
  21. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

"And you were not wise enough to resist the bait....."

Darth Geezy likes this.
  22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    OK, you're JJ Abrams...argue why you would have Plagueis and who would you cast???

23. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Serkis? Though I wish they went with the undead Snoke as they considered for a while. I do think the original plan now was for Snoke/Plagueis to be the body Palp's spirit was possessing but I think they might change that now that the fans have messed with them so much but maybe not.

24. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    I hope Plagueis returns

KSennia, lawton and Immortiss like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    So if Plagueis doesn’t appear, you will be able to claim that he was originally supposed to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.