main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Darth Sidious: Ending the Mask vs Deformity Argument.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Formidious, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He is trying in the movie as well;

---1:24---

Lightsaber doesn't need to look any dimmer imo, it doesn't look like dimmer when it cuts something.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This was probably brought up a few pages back but in the recent run of Star Wars comics a guy survived Force lighting by Palpatine and while it didn't immediately scar him, it like festered and became "infected" over time, which I thought was an interesting wrinkle that the corruption actually sunk in and then comes out later.

3. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    It still leads me to think that it wasn't the lightning that deformed him. Especially since in The Rise of Skywalker he has a decaying version of his Chancellor Palpatine face instead of the deformed one. Once hes rejuvenated he has his sidious face back.

Darth Caliban and Iron_lord like this.
  4. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    My take is that he both scarred himself with backfired lightening and drained himself trying to push back Mace Windu's lightsaber. The scarring is something that happened to him, but he didn't mind as much as he wanted people to think.

Sidious lives in a wholly or partially cloned body in Episode IX. That is why he doesn't have all the facial scarring.

5. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    Why does the facial scarring come back once he rejuvenates himself then.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  6. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    I was able to find images on google of before and after being rejuvenated. You can clearly see after he has his old sidious look back where as before its clearly his chancellor face. The rejuvinated face is before Rey gets the second lightsaber so he has not been damaged at all.
    Removed bootleg images/cubman987 edit

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
  7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    His "scarred" face is likely not scarred at all, but the result of complete dark side corruption. Whether he's been using the Force to mask his true appearance or just waited for the opportune moment to unleash his full power, though, I have no idea.

Count Yubnub and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  8. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    Its definitely dark side corruption but we know that he didn't use the dark side for the first time in that fight against Mace Windu. He was clearly using a mask of some sort and let the mask go in order to manipulate Anakin into siding with him. He was feigning weakness in order to get Anakin to act out of desperation. He saw no purpose for the mask afterwards as his disfigured appearance supported his narrative that the Jedi had attempted to assassinate him.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

to add to this,

the mask theory would also indicate that lightning (yes, that 'unlimited power') is actually pretty limited...that is has no damage effect what-so-ever and has the voltage of 0.001 watts. If all it can do is cut through force masks so people can see someone's true corrupted self....then I don't know what to tell ya, I'll stay a Jedi thanks, at least then I get the possibility of living ever after as a force ghost.

Edit: oh, well it can take down ships like X-Wings, but then has trouble against two lightsabers....so I guess it can do whatever it wants :p

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Erkan12 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Sure, but what we don't know is whether or not he used his power to its full extent before then. "UNLIMITED POWER" might indicate that this is the first time he's giving one hundred percent.

11. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    When he say unlimited power he already had his sidious face.

12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes......?

13. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    Well now that we know the new palpatine in ROS was a clone yet when he was rejuvinated he had his ROTJ look it points to the fact that it wasn't the lightning that changed his appearance.

14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    perhaps he liked his ROTJ look and scarred himself again ;)

not being serious.

it makes little sense that this theory is anyway correct, and only spun from particular wording from the novelisation cuz Stover likes metaphors and flowery language.
    The proof is on screen folks. He was scarred, that much is crystal clear.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Where's the scar tissue, though? I just see deformity.

16. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    [​IMG]
    We have an official photo from the promo material released for the upcoming digital release of Rise of Skywalker of his pre rejuvinated appearance. As you can see he has his Chancellor look but after he is rejuvinated he has his Sidious/Emperor look despite not having taken any lightning damage at that point which leads me to believe it was his true Appearance.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    maybe he only sucked just enough Dyad life energy from Ben and Rey to get himself back to his "one true Emperor" stage which would be basically right after he threw Mace out the window. I mean it did also give him a change of clothes as well.

As for his look in TROS, that's a deformed clone body so I wouldn't put much stock on it being representative of his for real face.

18. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    Thats why I don't think he was deformed in that Mace Windu fight. I think it was just his true dark side appearance being revealed which he had been concealing. However the look supported the narrative that told the public so he saw no need to disguise himself anymore.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I submit this for the record as to why it wasn’t a mask

20. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014

[​IMG]

:p

darkspine10 likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think his deformed face, is due to his emence darkness and him being the devil his changed appearanced was his true face. he had this mask he hid behind.

Iron_lord and dblaney1 like this.
  22. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    It doesn't look like the scarring returns to me. Clips are available. When I watch them, I don't see the scarring return. I think people sort of put this in in their memory.

23. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    It definitely returns. None of the clips release officially yet show after he rejuvenates himself so I will have to wait until after they are out to post proof.

24. dblaney1

dblaney1 Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Found a promo image of him after being rejuvinated. As you can see he is scarred.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I thought you were in favour of him not being scarred but it being his true appearance, I'm confused :p