main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Deepfake or Recast? You decide! - Now with Poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PimpBacca, Apr 16, 2023.

?

Would you prefer Deepfake or Recasting for future films?

1. Deepfake

40 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Recast

54 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    And "The Volume" is responsible for everything.

2. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    This mostly depends on the context.

For a larger role like in Solo of course recasting was the way to go. I also would have no problem in recasting Luke in a post-ROTJ story, as long as the actor is convincing enough. So generally I would prefer recasting in most cases, but there's room for deepfakes still. Some actors are getting older and older (Hayden!)

3. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think for any future films and tv shows that involves OT heroes, it will be deepfakes, wether fans like it or not. Luke looked Amazing in BOBF, and Anakin looked great deeaged.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  4. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2022
    for ethical reasons: recast.

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I voted for DeepFake but I am 50-50.

The way Luke was in TBOBF and Anakin in Ahsoka, makes me think that they can just keep doing that without problems.

If there was a third option in the poll, to keep using DeepFake for certain situations but also recast, I would vote for that.

6. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    I say recast for new characters or minor ones. Like Baylan and Mon Mothma

7. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Recasting, all the way.
    You solve so many problems with the industry by insisting on that. And I've never really been able to see deepfake as anything other than a novelty that is always at risk of wearing off and becoming yet another device of lazy storytelling. Do something new!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    there seems to be a lot of taboo around the idea of recasting

some people see it as some sort of sin - i think that depending on the context it can be totally fine to recast someone as Baylan, even if the actor who portrayed him passed already. IF Baylan is essential to Ahsoka season 2 then i'm all for recasting

Darth Tepes and Lulu Mars like this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm sure Baylan will return at some point.

What they've said about recasting Luke and co is that there won't be new faces portraying them in post-ANH stories. They'll probably stick to that rule for quite a while.
    If Leia makes an appearance in Filoni's film, I bet Billie Lourd will be involved as Carrie's representative.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Darth Tepes likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    It will be interesting in Filoni's movies, how large role OT trio will, have. Recast or deepfaked. Han could get small cameo and jus mostly see him flying the Falcon. But Leia and Luke will have to have big parts in this. Leia Organa as chief of the Defence Council and Luke Skywalker as the last Jedi Knight.

Darth Tepes likes this.
  11. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    luke/ben solo live action adventure show when? or maybe leave that to animated style

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  12. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I think that would be good territory for TotJ.

13. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    if theyre recasting luke i say cast a younger ben solo and let's go, if they can live action andor they can do that too

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think they will recast luke. They have already set in motion the idea of Deepfake. So i don't think they will go back on it. I think its too late.

But using a deep fake as a main character in a tv show? probably not. That leaves either animated or maybe getting hamil back and try to make him look a little younger. But i think Animated is probably more likely.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  15. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Uh both.

They need to look, act, and talk like Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher to keep the spirit. They ARE the characters.

How they get there is less important.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  16. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    God i hate this approach to acting

Othini and Watcherwithin like this.
  17. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I understand the sentiment, because we all feel like Star Wars is real and we want everything to match up perfectly. But ultimately we can’t recreate the past and shouldn’t try to. Either recast or retire, it’s too late to make another movie with Mark, Carrie, and Harrison

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    Othini and Sarge like this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think many people want to see the characters as if we got a sequel to ROTJ in the 80s. And so they need the same faces to work. Recasts won't be the same, they will just be new faces playing old faces.

19. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    no its not. whys that? also some here are suggesting recasts, so no hamill or ford

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Writers write characters and actors interpret them.

Mark, Carrie and Harrison are therefore not Luke, Leia and Han. They are simply the first actors to interpret those characters, and did such an incredible job of it that they’ve been deemed indistinguishable from those characters.

But they are not those characters. Indeed, a number of other actors have since interpreted those characters, and will continue to do so.

In that context, recasting the OT3 for OT-era or post-OT stories would be totally fine and should not be off the table. But as for now, Kennedy has taken it off the table.

Othini likes this.
  21. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    What Bor said.

That said - it helps with actors that look similar in some way. Remember those soap operas from the 80s when they often recast with actors that looked nowhere the same as the original.

When you looked at the covers of the novels and comics from the old EU era, i always took notice and was a bit annoyed when Luke Skywalker looked - nothing like Mark Hamill. Because they often did. But when you actually read the inside - the story itself - or the comics visuals- you forgot after a while - that Luke was Mark Hamill. He was Luke.

First of all - it has to be a good actor. Anthony Gruber looks like Harrison Ford, but is a very limited actor. Alden Ehrenreich does not look like a young Ford, but is a great actor. Ewan McGregor looks nothing like young Alec Guinness, with both of them being great actors, but we only saw Obi Wan as «elderly» in the old movies. Is Sebastian Stan a good actor? He is not bad. So maybe a chance for him being Luke.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  22. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I am not against recasts.
    But if a new actor gave their own interpretation of an established character in an ongoing continuity it would be weird. In an ongoing series with established characters, the interpretations need to not only be in the same ball park, but on the same team and position.
    New interpretations are what reboots are for.
    EDIT: Does anyone think they'll change the character of Baylan to better suit the new actor's interpretation?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  23. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Godfather Part II is all the argument you will ever need against deepfake nonsense. If the tech had existed then, they'd have deepfaked a grotesque and ridiculous young Marlon Brando for all of the flashback sequences and we'd have been robbed of a brilliant performance by Robert DeNiro.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Except that the argument isn't about recasting characters at very different ages and stages in life. Star Wars has already done that.

25. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    The easiest solution to all this, at least for Leia, is to just hire an actress who is the same size as Carrie, put the Bouschh helmet on her so we can't see her face, and have her say "Yotay" (or however it's spelled) for all her dialogue, with subtitles telling the audience whatever the script needs her to say. They could come up with some random reason for why Leia insists on wearing that helmet everywhere she goes. Problem solved.

Happy Sando and Sarge like this.