main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Definitive list of all changes ever made to the Classic Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Walken, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faux-Jedi

Faux-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    I remember Ben Burtt discussing this in a film school seminar. Back in 1977, very few theatres were equipped with 70mm Dolby projection equipment. Hence there were two versions of Star Wars released. One on 35mm and one on 70mm. Since the 70mm track required a much richer sound track, a separate track was recorded for all the 70mm prints. Some of the changes made (and I'm sorry, I can't remember which version was which) were..

1. STORMTROOPERS: Close the blastdoor!

2. 3PO's monologue about the tractor-beam

3. That massive bass reverb heard when the Falcon is being pulled into the Death Star.

And I'm sure there were others that I can't remember.

One subtle change to Empire that I remember only because I have an old 8mm copy is when Han and the gang arrive at Bespin, originally they are warned, "any aggressive move will not be tolerated". Then, when Han is being given landing instructions, he switches-off the radio and cuts-off the guy mid-sentence. Kind of a humorous little Han moment that got lost.

2. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm amazed that this thread is still going strong :) I'd just like to thank everyone who has contributed to it. I really do find this stuff endlessly fascinating.

A very interesting development with the infamous grappling hook scene, Plo :)

Damon D, I can't wait to go through the upcoming DVD set, with a fine tooth combe [face_laugh]

3. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Interesting yes, but I'm not pursuing it anymore. Fear of another disappointment, I guess. I believe that NZPoe is on the case (well at least he owes us :p).

BTW Faux-Jedi: in my pre-SE copy of ESB the lasers of the TIE fighters are definately blue/white in certain shots of the astroid field sequence.

4. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Same here, with the blue lasers. I was watching it last night actually :)

Something that I'm really looking forward to seeing in the new DVD edition of TESB, is the green ion cannon fire, and subsequent explosion on the Star Destroyer.

5. Faux-Jedi

Faux-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Wow, I never noticed the blue lasers. Not as sharp as I thought I was. I will definately check it out next time I watch.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Giving this one a bump.

7. EmpireOfTheSon

EmpireOfTheSon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2004
    Ouch! Mind where you bump, DamonD :p

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I unlocked another such thread from the Index in stead of this one.

Here they are. Have at them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.