main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Destiny & Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Oh the actual contents of it are all stuff that's happened to Elsie, I just mean that out of universe it reads like someone got a load of theories from Reddit and thought it'd make a good lore book. Surprisingly, it does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

solojones likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, here lieth Forsaken - it's end was unexpected but probably final.

What went wrong? In a word or three - the Baron Hunts. I didn't enjoy the Rider one, it just engaged in too much crap, like "calibrating" a Pike. It followed that up with pointless complications - it would have been far more fun as a straight out duel, instead of the spun out rubbish it was.

Still, killed him, job done, but wasn't feeling good about it. If all the hunts were like that the chances of me staying with it was going to be either zero or near-zero. And then I started the Mad Bomber and it came out with this timed bullcrap that.... Well, it killed the DLC entirely. Why does standing under a mine magically disarm it? It then follows the first one up with three mines all too far spread out to get there. Use the Sparrow? If only it jumped gaps while boosting, but it doesn't, so that's useless too. So, the decision ended up being very easy, due to all this timed crap - screw it. I'm not playing.

The whole three mines bit felt designed for multiplayer, not solo play, which is fine but be honest about it, don't act like I can do it on my own. Still, maybe it's for the best as the final confrontation with him sounds to be heavily, heavily full of irritating bullcrap. Plus, all the game has for its boss fights is let's-warp-in-lots-of-infinite-enemies-from-all-directions-while-the-boss-shoots-at-you, it's a style I don't like playing so, why continue to care?

Booted up Shadowkeep, thinking it couldn't be worse - I was wrong. It's opening mission is full of all the crap of the above style, but far longer, with the addition of useless tanks and it all ends up being rather boring instead of the epic affair it desperately wants to be. The only benefit from putting up with the tedium is it unlocked the Moon environment, but that's the only reason to put up with up with it. Again, it felt like multiplayer-mission-deceitlyfully-masquerading-as-single-player.

Buy Beyond Light? After this experience? Nope. I'll enjoy the environments for casual play, but have hit the soft cap of 1200 so less reason to do so, but I do really like the environmental design and aesthetic of the game, it's by far it's best card.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So you're not a lore guy, huh? Because for me that's what made all three of those good.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Story's OK, but I doubt I'll be able access it. Liked it on the previous DLCs. Although the PS5 screwed over that too, booted it up, video played, system overheated in the middle of it. :( Suppose that's what YouTube is for, right?

Back to Forsaken - The strange thing is those two Baron Hunts feel like the product of a completely different team. They have nothing in common with the far better opening missions. Feels like a crude response to "it's too easy" crowd for whom Difficulty Level of Absolute Death needs to be applied to.

Sounds like Byte's four hour epic videos are the better and more fun presentation of the material.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Definitely watch Byf's various lore videos. They're fantastic.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fairly certain the same guy got a mention in SkillUp's Godfall review as having presented that game's story far, far better than the game itself.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah he did a deal with the Godfall devs to do some lore videos for it.... And yes he so better at it than many actual game designers.

8. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Just jumped on after work on the SeriesX.

Load times went from “make a sandwhich and eat it” appx 5 minutes for me to load into tower to less than 20 seconds. The internet in my area fastest speed is only 50mbps. So yeah, huge difference in load times.

Im playing on a 1080 tv, and it looks like a brand new game.

If you were on the fence on upgrading, don't be. Im assuming PS5 has comparable upgrades as well. But to jump from a day one xbox to a series X is a massive boost.

Edit: Timed leaving tower to loading into Europa. 13 sec.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    About to start tonight's play session in 4k 60!

10. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I played on the Series S last night. I just can't get to grips with the PS5's controller for things like FPS's.

Regardless, the next gen upgrade makes it virtually indistinguishable from the PC version. Sure you can get more than 60fps on PC, but the difference between 30-60fps is so much more than 60-120fps IMO.

I'm still struggling to get my bearings in PvP this season. By the end of Season of Arrivals I was dunking on people left and right and was, usually, top of the leaderboard. Now? Bang average. Not sure what's changed meta wise. I tried using that new high impact pulse rifle, the Stars in Shadow. It's not even that good a roll (Steady Rounds, Outlaw and Dragonfly) but it was doing some solid work. I may need to switch up from my usual hand cannon or auto rifle set up.

The Hawkmoon quest is also really nice from a character development standpoint. It really hammers home how different Crow is from Uldren. Some of the lore and backstory you get about him while doing the quest is really quite sad. Not actually got Hawkmoon yet, but I'm on the penultimate step. Looking forward to giving that a decent try tonight.

ZanderSolo and solojones like this.
  11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Can also confirm that D2 on the PS5 is now like a different game. Absolutely wonderful.

ZanderSolo likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So very envious, but will get to it. Eventually.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I love the Hawkmoon quest so far. I'm on the crucible step. But the lore is even better than actually getting the gun.

Yeah like did they also up the quality of assets? It looks soooo good in addition to the 60 frames.

14. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    If you want the quest done quick then I found going after champions was a better option. Empire Hunts would give about 15-20% progress compared to 6 or 7 in Crucible. Though with Iron Banner going on you can kill two birds with one stone I suppose.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah my thing is I'm trying to do the Iron Banner pinnacle gear bounties anyway.

16. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I hate that the Iron Banner quest requires me to use scout rifles. Just let me use whatever I want.

17. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    So i havent touched pvp since i came back, not a single match. Do i gave to do matches for the IB armor? Cause i had tons of tokens saved but it gave me weapons only for 4 ranks ups and idk if I'm wasting them or not.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  18. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I had this season's armour drop from token packages. Don't know how common it is though.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The armor can drop too. Weapons seem to be more common but yes the armor can drop.

I am at 51% of my crucible kills for the Hawkmoon quest. Made more annoying by the fact that I kept getting killed with Hawkmoon while trying to do this quest :p

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Finished the Hawkmoon step and so tomorrow over lunch I will just need to do the final mission to acquire it.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I’ve never understood this clamour to be able to complete quests, or obtain items, in whatever way a player wants (“just let me do what I enjoy!”).

I see no problem with players being asked to use specific weapon types, or compete in specific game modes, to achieve specific goals. It’s all part of the game. If you don’t like what you’re being asked to do, you don’t get the reward. Anything else reads like entitlement, to me.

22. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I think if it was any other weapon besides scouts (or fusion rifles) I'd be fine. I just really, really hate scout rifles.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    haha fair enough. :p I did the Jade Rabbit catalyst in Crucible recently, so feel I can probably get it done.

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Armed only with a vibrator

25. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Really glad I did that when Momentum Control was still a thing. Only time I've ever liked using a scout rifle in either D1 or D2.