main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Din Grogu [Baby Yoda] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ooh, that's a good one!

Bor Mullet and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Tom Hardy in his Bane voice.

“No one cared who was until I put on the mask. This is the way.”
    [​IMG]

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  4. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Gilbert Gottfried would be pretty good. ;)

But what do you folks even think Grogu should sound like? Do you have an idea of what it might be like in your mind?

Vin Diesel?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  5. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    The temptation will be to use a child actor... Because Grogu (technically) is a child. I can't think of a single actor's voice that will sound or feel right.

Hmmm, I almost think they should just have him use sign language or alien subtitles lol

What did they do with gizmo in Gremlins...? I don't recall.

Maybe have him sound something like an Ewok, where Din understands him and then "translates" so we understand...?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s obviously going to be Andy Serkis.

If not? There’s only one choice and it’s Joe Pesci.

7. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I'll go with Frank Oz. Continuity, sort of.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We really need to get Mel Blanc back. :(

TCF-1138 , Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Gilbert Gotfried was the very first thing that popped into my head. The second thing that popped into my head was:

TCF-1138 likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I HAVE SHPOKENungh!

11. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Tom Hardy in his Alfie Solomons voice, "One does not speak, unless one knows. And if you don't know, then you don't f-ing know, do ya?"

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Kermit the Frog?
    Bowser from Sha Na Na?
    Animal?
    Ren or Stimpy?
    The martians from Mars Attacks?
    The Fonz?
    Mork?
    Frank from Blue Velvet?
    Little Man from Another Place?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is the Goldwaith.

Riv_Shiel, Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  14. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I don't know if the puppet has been updated to be less limited in its movement, but it feels like Grogu is moving better/naturally (jumping not withstanding - that's never gonna look real)

I also like that they've moved on to have Din actually teach/parent Grogu. It's an expansion of their relationship that should have happened earlier, so it's nice to finally see it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    rocknroll41, Sarge and Watcherwithin like this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    One of the voice actors from The Datk Crystal.

Yoda's species are a bit Chancellor-esque.

16. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Nobody seemed to care about Grogu in the lateste episode, but yesterday episode had 2 Grogu developments:
    1 - with IG-12 he reminded the joyfull toddler from the previous season instead the gimmick that was just kept around for no logical reasons to the story; 2 - but n more important, when he intervene on his own to stop the fight, he showed a "Jedi Nature" still in him. In many ways it was the first true sentient thing he have done in the show not just a baby reacting to his instincts.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Sir Din Grogu needs to be voiced by Ving Rhames.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How many times has this thread title changed lol. At least 3 it might have had another name before baby yoda as well.

19. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Nvm

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think I might be losing interest in Grogu. Initially I was interested in the Lone Wolf and Cub story they had for Din and Grogu in the first two seasons and I was very intrigued by the idea of Din finding Luke Skywalker and delivering Grogu to Luke. Looking back, having Grogu turn Luke down and subsequently return to Din really killed my interest in the character, especially after Grogu did next to nothing in season three.

What could they possibly do with Grogu in season four? How much of a story and character growth can they really give a nonverbal puppet who is basically a baby? I know that he's supposed to be Din's apprentice now but again how much can they really give Grogu to do given the characters aforementioned limitations?

Apprentice or not, I won't be surprised if Grogu doesn't get much more to do beyond what we've seen in previous seasons, i.e. Grogu doing flips, occasionally using the Force and the camera lingering on him while he looks scared or does something cute. It's not like Grogu is going to start having full-on conversations with non-Force using characters and pointing out that Grogu will be the leader of Mandalore IN FIVE HUNDRED YEARS, doesn't do anything for me considering that he'll still be a baby in season four and that everybody he's connected to in this show will be long dead in five hundred years.

Yes, it appears that Grogu connected to the Mythosaur via the Force but practically speaking what does that mean for the character and the narrative? The Mythosaur will rise out of the water and Grogu will sit on top of it and tame it and then this nonverbal baby is the leader of the Mandalorians I guess or maybe he's not but this action is still supposed to mean...something? What is interesting about that?

Also, Grogu slowly collecting pieces of beskar armor to form a full Mando suit is a poor substitute for character growth. It feels more like leveling up in a video game. Let's say Grogu does eventually get a full suit of mando armor. What then? He's still a nonverbal baby puppet.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He seems more vocal in season 3. If he sticks around, I expect we'll hear his first words soon. That could and should give him a lot more personality and agency. Even his YES and NO buttons made him much more expressive and communicative.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    By the way, how do we know that the noises Grogu makes aren’t Yoda species language words?

rocknroll41 likes this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think more character-based writing around him and Din in general would help, or even just being given more moments to shine as a protagonist himself, as would, of course, some actual lore exploration that this last season seemed scared of.

His strongest appearance since returning was (like with most characters and stuff this season) The Mines of Mandalore, where they had him go have his own mini-adventure to get Bo Katan and rescue Din. Its remarkable how even something as simple as that worked wonders for his return. Similarly, Din reviewing what he knew of Mandalore's past with Grogu and telling him about his own childhood on Concordia, even briefly, was excellent; if all Grogu serves as is an excuse for Din to talk about his past, that's completely fine since that's about Din.

In contrast, one of the problems, honestly, was the eventual dropping of educating him on Mandalorian stuff, much like how they dropped educating Din in the same way. Grogu's little paintball fight with Ragnar missed an opportunity to have either Din do some basic instruction on how to use it and what tricks he thinks Grogu should do, or maybe even educating him on how to try and synthesize Luke's trainingw ith being a Mandalore.

I think Grogu's lack of substance this season as much reflects the lack of substance for Din this season as anything else.

(Yes, I know "Din" now applies to both of them. Just let me use this as shorthand for Djarin, okay?)

Sarge and The Regular Mustache like this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    When he was getting anointed at the end, I genuinely thought he was going to speak. I believe he tried to, as his mouth did move (or I'm misremembering).

Sarge likes this.
  25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Among the baffling things in season 3 is how Grogu's relevance rapidly faded after he was no longer a MacGuffin for the storytelling. The Empire was no longer hunting him and Din had relinquished him to Luke. As much as I disagree with including Grogu's training in The Book of Boba Fett, at least it gave us some character growth as well as presenting him with an actual choice.

As it stands, Grogu remains more of a passenger than a participant in The Mandalorian, and when he does participate, it's often by using the Force just to get the other characters out of a jam. It's fine, but the first time (against the mudhorn) remains the best.