main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Disney should hire Lauzirika

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tolvo, May 14, 2015.

1. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    The other day I saw someone on reddit ask about good documentaries on Star Wars. I guess the one that got mentioned the most was "Empire of Dreams", which is of course a great production, but I feel we're missing a proper documentary on the entire saga - including the prequels that is. "The Beginning" is pretty good, but otherwise there's just a bunch of featurettes which are really more marketing tool than anything.
    Jamie Benning's "Star Wars Begins" and his other two are absolutely amazing, but they're kind of a different format.

I'm a huge fan of behind-the-scenes footage and bonus material of all kinds. Ever since going through some of the stuff on the Alien Quadrilogy releases, I've been hoping for Star Wars to get a similar treatment.
    Each of the four documentaries on the Alien franchise (one for each movie!) is approximately three hours long. That's 12 hours of actual films on the films of what at least to me looks like pretty high production value. These are more than just "extras". The newer Blu-ray release even includes additional "deleted scenes" - interviews that didn't make it into those final docs that run at least another half-hour or so for each film.
    There's another one for Prometheus clocking in at almost four hours which I haven't really watched, but I suppose it's heaven for a fan. Just imagine what you could pull for the Star Wars franchise if you were as thorough.

At some point I noticed that Charles de Lauzirika, the director-producer of these features, was also behind "Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner", which is probably the most amazing documentary on a movie that I've ever seen. As weird as it sounds, it's probably better than the actual film. [face_laugh]

Accidentally he also did a documentary on one of my favorite TV shows, Twin Peaks. It looks like he's worked on some rather extensive documentaries on Exodus and some Transformers movies too, but the movies themselves aren't really my cup of tea to begin with, so I haven't checked them out.

So after googling a little I found this interview, in which he got asked about doing Star Wars.
    I feel whoever is in charge at Disney should get a hold of that guy. He obviously loves science-fiction and has a passion for movies in general. Getting feature-length documentaries on each of the Star Wars movies would be a dream come true. At least to me something like that would be just as much a selling point for a future home video release as providing the original versions.

Thoughts?

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Moving to BTS.