main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you want to see Vader in spinoff movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TheOneX_Eleazar, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Are you ok with Darth Vader appearing in spinoff movies?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. Leaning towards Yes

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Unsure

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Leaning towards No

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. No

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    So as the subject suggests I am curious as to how people would feel if Vader shows up in a spinoff movie set during the dark times.

I ask this because it is something that I am not sure I want to see. I feel it could ruin some of his mystique. I believe it was Filoni who said something along the lines of force users are not super heros, and I fully agree with that statement. With the way modern blockbusters are I worry they would start pushing him in that direction.

2. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    The only thing we haven't seen is Darth Vader in full combat mode. And if the speculative rumors are true, maybe we'll see that in Rogue 1 or one of the other Anthology films? I hope so!

But not enough to want a whole film dedicated to him.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    No.

To me the entire point of the Anthology series is for Star Wars to create its very own Expanded Universe. By having a presence of Darth Vader in the Anthology, I think the expanded universe begins to feel somewhat limited. Star Wars is a MASSIVE galaxy, lets embrace it. That's why i'm against the Han Solo movie. We know Han. We love him. Move on. Same with Vader in Rogue One - lets see how people within the empire perceive and fear him without actually seeing him. Instead, Vader is this ominous guy behind the curtain that very few people see.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I voted "Unsure" as it depends on how, where and why it's done. Seeing him flash by in some sort of news broadcast, for instance, should be fine (a Kenobi film could feature a scene where Obi-Wan learns that Vader survived Mustafar that way), but to have him heavily featured might well diminish the strength of his character. Especially if they don't balance him just right.

5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    If done right with a good director and good story, yes. Absolutely. And I think there is room for that, if they are really planning on releasing one Star Wars movie every year.

The thing is, most TFA characters didn’t really click with me and I don’t know yet if I’ll like Rogue One characters. I'm mostly interested in R1 because of the setting and the possibility of seeing Vader, not because of the characters.

The Star Wars fandom is very diverse, and not everyone is going to be interesting in the new EU - and likewise, not everyone would want a Vader or another Lucas' character movie.I like that Disney is trying to service both PT/OT fans and ST/new EU fans with comics, books, an animated show and movies for everyone with different tastes and preferences. And they should keep it that way.

There is also no guarantee that movies focusing on completely new original characters and settings will be automatically a more enriching experience and worthy of the (rather expensive) ticket price than movies featuring characters we already know but portrayed in a different light with a story we haven’t seen yet – a good example of this is Nolan’s Batman. If everyone thought there shouldn’t be more Batman movies because his story has already been told a hundred times, then we would have never known how great Ledger’s Joker was, and what a great cinema experience it was to watch that movie.
    Ultimately, it will depend on who pitches what story to Lucasfilm. And if they have a good script and a good director, at the end of the way it won't really matter if it features popular characters or completely new characters.

Hence I vehemently disagree with the idea that new movies should only focus on new EU and original characters – much like I would disagree with the idea that anthology movies should be only about Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader and other Lucas’ characters. There should be a bit of both, for all the different type of fans with different interests - but overall it should be a good story and respect the characters.

But on the specific issue “A Vader movie would ruin his mystique” – have you seen Darth Vader comics? He is the main character in it and I don't think they ruin his mystique at all; on the contrary they enhance it. With a good writer and good director, a Vader movie could be quite an unique SW cinema experience.

6. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I would like to see Vader in spin-offs as long as it's not a encounter with a jedi.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  7. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Voted for Leaning Yes. It has to be done right. I like the idea of Vader as the Great White Shark looming over all during the time between ROTS & ANH.

Vader's legacy needs to protected. A new character should not be able to beat him, manage to escape.

titansupes and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes. But in a support role.

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Spoilers are not allowed here. You'll be taking a break from the forums now.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yes but only in a limited role and only if it makes sense, for instance I think it would make sense for him to show up in Rogue One but not so much in the Han Solo one.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yes, yes and absolutely yes.

There is a 20 year span of time between ROTS and ANH. I would love to see more Anthology films set during that time, specifically one heavily featuring the Jedi Purge, which would include a lot of Vader. I truly believe that if the first several Anthology films are successful we will get side adventure films featuring many of the more prominent characters, even recasts of the OT3.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm leaning towards yes. He's such a polarizing villain that I think if if can be done right it could be good stuff. The NEU source material that I have read so far really makes me appreciate Vader even more.

14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    There's a Vader spinoff comic, and JEJ seems to be gung-ho to reprise the role in Rebels. Seeing as anyone can be in the suit if JEJ's doing the voice, I have a feeling it doesn't matter if you want to see Vader in the spinoff - he's almost definitely going to be in them. He's the most iconic villain of all time AND he sells toys.

15. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I think a vader appearence would be good for the saga. Star Wars in general has so much to do with the Skywalker's, and even if Rogue One isn't centered around him, I think it's quite obviously affected by him.

But then again, I'm pulling for a Hayden Christensen force ghost appearence in Ep. 8 or 9, and most people don't want that I think.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I will say a conditional yes. Basically I mean I would love if he appears here and there or even has a solid part when appropriate, but I think seeing too much of him, just for the sake of having him in there is unneccessary-and may serve to wear out the "coolness" of seeing him.

Twinnie likes this.
  17. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm leaning towards yes, but only if it's done right. He cannot be the focal point of the spinoff, though. But, I think it would be good to re-introduce the dark brooding figure that so ominously dominated the galaxy, especially after the way ROTS emasculated Vader at the end by having him cry out for Padme.

18. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Yes, please.

I actually wanna see Vader as the protagonist in some spin offs created during his early years as Vader.

Butbutbut I want a Kenobi film first

Kenobi1138 likes this.
  19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I put unsure because he needs to have a purpose if he shows up. Vader just seems too skilled of an opponent to be used against rebels, pirates, smugglers, even ex-Jedi. I can think of very few if any Jedi that escaped Order 66 that would be able to challenge him.
    It would be nice to see Vader with the 501st. Vader may be extremely high up in the Imperial chain of command, but seeing him march into battle with the troops would be satisfying.

20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I would like see Vader, but in a Jabba like role rather than as the main antagonist.

21. quanchi112

quanchi112 Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2014
    Depends. Eventually they need to move on and quit relying on the Ot characters. I personally do not see the appeal in Darth Vader.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Definitely agreed there, but at the same time I really think they should continue to use Darth Vader (not constantly but once in a while) as long as James Earl Jones is healthy enough/willing to provide the voice, and once that's no longer possible, retire the character for good.

23. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Vader Cameo in Rogue one...I think it might cause spine chills and be cool

24. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    If having Vader in the movie is appropriate to the movie, I'm ok with that. Don't throw him in everything just to have him in it. Also, they cannot do with him like they did with Yoda in the prequels.

25. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

Agreed, however, I dont want to see Vader in the Han movie.

Ord Sorrell likes this.