main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Chosen One star 6

Jun 12, 2011

https://www.starwars.com/news/doctor-aphra-an-audiobook-original-revealed

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Anthony Daniels for 000 or bust

3. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So, it's basically an adaption of the Vader comic from Aphra's POV with some new additional scenes, that's it?

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Awesome. And it's only about three months away!

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    New Doctor Aphra related content? You had my curiosity.
    Doctor Aphra Audiobook even if it just covers her original appearance in the 2015 Darth Vader comic? You now have my attention.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I hope this is easier to obtain than Dooku: Jedi Lost was.

7. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm sure it'll be exactly the same because it's being put out by the same publishers.

8. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It ended up an unholy mess last time.

Place pre-order with Google Play - few days before Google Play cancels - it's no longer listed on the UK store.

Audible? Yes, but I don't want to sign up for Audible, I just want to buy the damn MP3 and play it on any device I want - you know, not exactly a high tech requirement. In the end I just went with the 'screw it, will nab for free via Audible trial and skip the money'.

Somehow Big Finish, a small operator that punches way above its weight, is able to make its audioplays easily available in a way that a big, multinational publisher cannot. Doesn't make sense to me but:

[​IMG]

Maybe it'll be better this time.

And let's be clear, the product, the audioplay that was Dooku: Jedi Lost was superb, I want to buy and support output like that.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

Here's hoping! Having the script handy to read along with was very helpful for me to more fully enjoy the production (accessibility reasons).

Can't wait to learn who is casted, especially in the roles of Aphra and Sana. (And if this also has Cassio Tagge appear at all, like the DV comic series did... [face_whistling])

I am trying to remember where I've read Sarah Kuhn's work before, as I recognize her name and face... maybe Chicks Dig Comics or her entertainment journalism? Here's some snips from a bio I found:

11. chrcharcor2

chrcharcor2 Jedi Master

Apr 27, 2015
    This was such a pleasant surprise! I just finished re-listening to Dooku: Lost Jedi and was hoping for another audio drama. So excited for more Aphra and Vader interactions!

12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't mind this being an adaption of an old story, simply because I haven't read Dr. Aphra since issue 12 of her original series and have never bothered to catch up and find out what's happened to over the past several years.

So I'm relieved I don't have to have read her entire run of stories to understand this one.

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Who's voicing Aphra? Jamie Chung might work.

14. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Sarah's written a young adult comic novel for dc called shadow of the batgirl starring cassandra Cain

15. VGCinema

VGCinema Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2019
    I'm really glad to hear this. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of adaptations myself. I'm glad there is gonna be quite a bit added onto it from Aphra's perspective because I love audio dramas and its an avenue I want Star Wars to explore more.

16. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    There's plenty of time to share more details on the audio original and how it will stand on its own from the original Vader run, but a few things I'll point out here:

1) Simply recording some different folks reading the dialogue from the panels while a narrator describes the art doesn't sound like a good use of anyone's time - so yes this is an adaptation of a comic, but it's not simply a verbalizing.
    2) That comic in question is a Darth Vader comic. It is not an Aphra comic. She's a part of that story - a key part to be sure - but a secondary player. There are plenty of moments where she is simply not present, or off-camera somewhere. One of the things that's exciting to imagine and explore is what's going on in those moments?
    3) The medium matters. Being an audio original with a cast and individual voices and the ability to play with narration etc, also creates a completely different experience even when presented with some material that you may know. Anyone who read/listened to Dooku probably has a sense of that, and in Aphra we have a character who allows you to play with that even more.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Finding the voice of Aphra is a tall order. Very excited for that.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Sounds like something akin to the Tales of books from the nineties. Every cantina tale included the part where they were in the cantina, but most of it was what they were doing offscreen in the surrounding hours/days. Cool idea!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Synopsis.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "avoid the deadly performance review"

Oh my god, can you imagine a performance review conducted by Darth Vader?

Assuming I can get hold of it, that line along might have sold me this.

21. gioA

gioA Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2014
    Produce a CD version and you can have my money!

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That's great news! It would help the withdrawals of not having a new comic of hers for awhile.

23. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Dooku: Jedi Lost never came out on CD, so I can't imagine this will be any different.

24. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    A physical CD is unlikely.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If comics haven't resumed production by July that industry is going to be in big trouble.

Jedi Ben likes this.