main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 23, 2020.

1. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    I have managed to buy a huge amount of their Doctor Who audio adventures via Humble Bundles and sales which has trained my brain to think that anything more than say $3 isn't a good deal. Which has really helped keep my money in my wallet because I agree they keep announcing more and more exciting projects.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They're a small operator punching way above their weight, especially with the actors they get, so I'm happy to support them via prebuys. Not cheap though.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A few BTS photos of the lead VAs in this week's This Week in Star Wars.

4. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Yeah, plus with Big Finish you can get it on CD as well.

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Comic-Con@Home panel page for Star Wars Audiobooks: Doctor Aphra
    Friday July 24, 2020 11:00am PDT - 12:00pm PDT
    Eventual YouTube link: https://youtu.be/K0kETgE5H7Q

Get the inside scoop on the newest Star Wars Audiobook Original, Doctor Aphra, from inception to the incredible finished product performed by a full cast. You'll hear from audiobook narrators Marc Thompson and Emily Woo Zeller, author Sarah Kuhn, and Del Rey editor Elizabeth Schaefer as they discuss this adaptation of the critically acclaimed Marvel comics series where Dr. Aphra teams up with Darth Vader, in a conversation moderated by audiobook producer Nick Martorelli.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Chosen One star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone listened to this yet?

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I've listened to part of it, but I still have a long while to go. Seems to be going along with the comic, more or less, starting with Aphra's appearance but ignoring the scenes she's not in, and there's plenty of flashbacks, one of which was also in the more recent Aphra comics but the rest are new. Aphra's voice is annoying but fits the character, Marc Thompson is perfect as Vader (there's this one scene from the comic where Vader just says "Fett?" but Thompson voices it like how Vader says "WHAT?!" right after his wingman gets shot by Han during the ANH trench run), every character Carol Monda voices just sounds like a cranky old woman, and Jonathan Davis didn't even try giving Boba Fett a Maori accent. Oh, and Triple Zero. I was hoping they would get Anthony Daniels to voice him, but Sean Kenin still gives him that posh protocol droid voice nonetheless. I haven't gotten to where Luke shows up yet but I'm interested in hearing his voice - I can't imagine anyone giving a better young whiny Luke impression than Mark Thompson. Something interesting is that this is very much not only an adaptation of Kieron Gillen's writing but also Larroca's art. I've heard other comic audio dramatizations, but none of them have taken the time to actually describe the visual of certain panels the way this one does.

Overall, so far, I'm really enjoying this. It's great just hearing Aphra and Vader having a conversation. This was the perfect choice for an audio adaptation. It also makes me nostalgic for the state of Star Wars comics in 2015, how new and fresh and exciting everything was. (If you told me five years ago I'd be nostalgic for Star Wars in 2015 I'd have laughed in your face)

10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    This audiodrama is so good, I need more installments! The voicecast is teriffic... Aphra is spot on and that Vader is something to give you shivers!

Really nice story expansion and new perspectives for known parts. Also surprised it covers more ground than I thought comicwise!

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  12. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Still not completely done with this but much further along. Some additional commentary:

*Jonathan Davis voicing 90% of the secondary characters is kind of annoying for a “full cast” audio drama.
    *The guy playing Luke is nowhere near as good as Marc Thompson’s Luke.
    *Catherine Taber as Leia is a great casting idea. I’ve never heard anyone do a good Carrie Fisher, but Taber’s “Padme but with OT Leia affectations” is close enough.
    *Although advertised as adapting the Gillen Vader comics, unsurprisingly, Aphra’s appearances in Jason Aaron’s Star Wars comics (Vader Down, Rebel Jail) are also covered.
    *I love how gay this is, easily the gayest Star Wars thing since that FACPOV story about the Stormtrooper having an affair with Tarkin but nowhere near as ridiculous. So much of the story is about Aphra and Sana’s relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. OJP

OJP Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2014
    Having gotten to the end, are we meant to believe that
    Aphra knows Vader is Luke's Father?
    Did we already know this?

14. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't think it was stated because we don't get in Aphra's head in the original comics, but it's not like it's surprising considering she was the one who uncovered all the facts that led to Vader knowing he was Luke's father.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just finished this. Another great audio drama. I enjoyed being able to look at the comics as I listened to most of it, though Kuhn did really well for the most part describing settings and characters in a natural way via Aphra's narration. I think the only audio bit I wasn't a fan of was Black Krrsantan's voice- it was on the weaker end of Wookiee impressions, IMO.

But yes, I appreciated how though it only covered Aphra's appearances in Darth Vader, it was heavily informed by details from Doctor Aphra as well.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, "sold" - inasmuch as a copy bought by monthly Audible credit can be.

17. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    Yes, and I'll probably be roasted alive for this, but I'm finding the protagonist's 'millennial' style of prattle to be rather annoying. I don't think I'll finish this one and I regret buying it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, it's 100% true to the comics, so I don't know what else you were expecting.

Also lol at "millennial" speak.

Daneira likes this.
  19. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    I haven't read the comics, so I didn't really have any expectations and the style of narration is clearly targeting a younger audience. Furthermore, I thought the writing style didn't seem to be suitable for the universe, however, that's just my opinion, and I still regret buying it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  20. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Younger audience? Quite the contrary I think. Aphra is as adult as Disney SW will ever get given it tackles all the difficult topics, progressive or not. The quirkyness of her character is what makes it so great. I loved the introspection into her head a lot in the audio. The voice actress nailed it.

Didn't you check out audio samples and excerpts before buying?

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  21. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I'm about half way through this and I'm really enjoying it.
    I think at first I wasn't so keen on the voice actor portraying Aphra, but that's only because I'd developed my own preconceived idea as to what she would sound like, while reading all the comics, but honestly she does a really great job and I'm pretty sure that when I next go back to re-read the comics I will hear the voice from the audio drama.

My only concern is that they're potentially filling out the time line so much for Aphra that it'll make it harder to potentially insert her into an animated series or live action property without it being a brief cameo...

22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Looks like pre-order links are starting to be set up for ebook and hardcover releases, both currently scheduled for April 06, 2021. (Obviously please allow them some wiggle room on the date...)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Ugh, that means no paperback until like 2022. Well, still nice we're getting the physical release.

24. gioA

gioA Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2014
    Would love to get this and dooku but I refuse to use audible. Restricted how you can play them and audio quality poor. Don't know if this has improved. I prefer mp3 so I can use anywhere. Don't know amazon persist with this when music is sold as mp3 and can be used on any device. CD version would sort this but it seems physical media not commercially viable these days.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Look up Open Audible, it's a rather neat Shareware open source product.