main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does anyone here see the Saga 1-9?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by KyloLukeLeia, Sep 8, 2021.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Visions isnt canon ;) but we can still love it. Id count it to Legends :)

CampOfSorgan and darthfettus2015 like this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    no, I see I-VI as the saga
    and everything else as what if's.

But that is the beauty of fiction, anyone can pick and choose what they want within reason.

3. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Or indeed the Clone war movie

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    its a challenge to watch eveything chronologically

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  6. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    No. I-VI is the saga for me.

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Saga 1-9?

Don't you mean The Tragedy of Darth Sidious the Laugher?

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  8. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I see the saga as 1-9. I don't watch them in that order though.

Part of the issue with Star Wars is that, unlike say Harry Potter or LOTR, generations passed in between trilogies.

Therefore, the tone, the look, tastes, and (maybe most importantly) expectations changed in between.

Simply put, the continuity doesn't seem as cohesive as it could/should.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well no because like you said George Lucas waited 10-15 years to do his prequels, and then they waited another 10-15 years to do Sequels.

Regardless of what happened as you said expectations, situation and even HISTORICAL CONTEXT changes.

Not to mention we have now the EU and all that stuff as well.

jaimestarr likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Episodes I-IX is a saga. The original, though, is episodes I-VI. The ST is a fanmade continuation; EU material.

11. JediRaiden

JediRaiden Jedi Padawan

Jul 1, 2019
    Well for me it's definitely 1 - 6, and ignoring the existence of 7 - 9 entirely, as I really don't enjoy those movies and don't personally consider them canon. I would say that the old Thrawn trilogy is my sequel trilogy.

Subtext Mining and CampOfSorgan like this.
  12. 1 and 6 i see the EU and Disney as tales in universe

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah well in 10-15 years that's not how younger generations are gonna see it so better get ready

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Personally, I'd rather watch 4-9. Just not a fan of the PT.

Maybe that's one for the unpopular opinions thread.

CampOfSorgan and jaimestarr like this.
  16. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    You likely have just as many fans that will (and have for years) claim that 4-6 is THE saga.

Yet, as you have illustrated with your claim, the negative rhetoric towards the PT has softened.

So will it be with the ST. As was said....get ready.

CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Hey, I'm just stating facts. GL is the originator of the saga. Hence, his trilogies are the original saga. Since Abrams decided to write his own continuation of that saga, the ST is expanded universe by definition.
    The viewers' opinions have no bearing on that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Alexrd and CampOfSorgan like this.
  18. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I get what you are saying and it's kinda/sorta true with in the parameters of your specific definition. Yet, it's not exactly accurate, is it?

The ST is not the expanded universe. You likely know this. Likely, you also know that the ST is just as official/canon as the OT and PT.

So, in effect, it seems you are using the term "expanded universe" to marginalize/dismiss/invalidate/denigrate the ST. What you are doing/saying is a bit like this:

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster are the originators of Superman. DC comics decided to write their own continuation of the story that character/story and anything after that is expanded universe Superman by definition.

One is free to claim that the only true/valid Superman stories are the stories that originated from Siegel and Shuster.

One is free to imply that the ONLY true/valid SW stories/films/properties are those that Lucas originated.

Yet, neither of those claims/implications are the truth. They are simply one's point of view.

DarthKreVass and KyleKartan like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Look at Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry died after Next Generation season 1, yet everything after that is considered canon. Heck, he hated Wrath of Khan, yet it is canon, and the most well known movie

20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not sure SW and Superman are very comparable. But yeah, any of the non-creator stuff is technically just paid fanfic, same as the ST. Same as the EU. That doesn't mean it's subpar material.

Really, I wish Disney would just embrace the idea of a SW multi-verse. The EU / Legends, the ST, it's all equally canon and neither is more ''official'' than the other. They could even make another ST if they wanted. It would both give Disney more material to work with and please a lot of fans.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Eh, let's not go down that canon rabbit hole again.
    Yes, I know what is official canon. I also know the difference between legal ownership and artistry. Again, George is the originator, the one who created this saga. His story is the original. If someone continues the saga with a story of their own, then their story is not George's original story. This is undeniable.

How is that a problem for fans of the ST, though? As I said, episodes I-IX is a saga.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  22. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Fair enough. This is a distinctly different framing/claim from what you said before. Thanks!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    How have I missed this thread for so damn long?

Well, I picked an interesting time to jump in here - absolutely LOVE the I-IX saga as it is. However, in contrast to what others have said, I view it through a separate lens as to how I view the franchise as a whole. For me, there's the numbered episodic saga, and then there's a view of the franchise which is that, and everything else

I used to dislike a great number of things introduced by, say, The Clone Wars, because I felt it didn't really fit with the movies in certain ways. But nowadays, I'm not quite so negative about it - it's just seeing it two separate ways. For me, there's the whole franchise, and then there's the nine film saga I love, where characters like Ahsoka or Ezra or any of the named clones or whatever just don't exist

It's two very different but equally valid experiences, in my mind

TX-20 and DarthTalgus like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Weeell, I worded it differently, but the claim is the same.
    I'm glad that worked for you, though :)

25. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    The claim is different. True, the ST is not Lucas's original story. The ST is also not fan fiction nor is it the expanded universe.

If the ST less than legitimate to you, that's your own thing to hold onto, but it is your thing. Just like those who claim the OT is the only valid saga is their thing.

DarthKreVass, Seagoat and KyleKartan like this.