main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I have been watching them lately. Most of season 1, some of seasons 3-6 and I think all of the Slimer episodes. But you have to really look for other episodes. That's only if you don't want to pay. All "Transformers" shows are available for free.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    New trailer is out:

I like what I’m seeing.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's a pretty good trailer. Much better than any of the Afterlife ones, or even the FE teaser. But it is looking good. Some familiar faces back, a couple callbacks (but it looks like it hopefully won't be too many) and some really clever new tech angles. And a couple solid jokes lined in there for good measure.

They did a fantastic job with Slimer, too! He looks like he's still practical on some level. Though I do hope that the return of the librarian ghost doesn't spoil the original gag or reveal too much else about her. She was the second scariest thing in the original film for us as kids (after the Terror Dogs), and the part we'd either fast forward past to skip when renting it, or trying to pause with her in full ghoul form during parties (probably ruining the rental VHS copy in the process) to laugh about it.

And while we knew that William Atherton is back, I love that they kept the difficult balance of him having entirely valid concerns and/or objections about what the Ghostbusters were doing, while still being skeptically antagonistic.

Though it will be interesting to see what kind of interaction he has with Grooberson, and if it'll be less hostile since it was usually the case that Venkman was intentionally pushing back to antagonize Peck to set him off. Could totally see Grooberson cooling things off to something of an understanding, only for Venkman to walk into his office and go "Hey, Walter! Long time no see! You know I voted for you, right?" [face_laugh]).

EDIT- International version of the trailer is different. Isn't as good of a trailer (and no Mayor framework intro), but does elaborate on other parts of the story. And you get a slightly better look at the main baddie:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I wish I could be as excited for the new film as other people are, but I just don't feel it. Yeah, I like seeing Janine in the jumpsuit, but overall the trailer just seems to carry on the typical cliche of these sequels; bringing back actors to reprise their roles from decades ago while they converse in dialogue that kids in today's generation can appreciate.

The original was a classic, not just because of the special effects but because of the chemistry with all of the characters together. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't feel the older actors have that same chemistry with the kids. But these movies are more for families anyway, so more power to them. I'll likely watch it for the first time when it's on HBO Max or whatever streaming channel gets it.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    The meta nature of the film that the trailer is showing is a turn off for me. The jokes are trying too hard. I hope the "mean dumb and horny" line is cut from the theatrical version. Doesn't feel like something Venkman would say but something you'd hear in the 2016 version.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It makes sense that the interactions are different across the generations, since it reflects the real world.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The point is that this is a family-oriented movie. Truthfully they didn't even have to bring back the older actors; they're there mainly as supporting cast in the background for the nostalgia.

I kind of feel the same way. You know as well as I do that Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd Ad-libbed a good chunk of the original movie, and probably some of the second as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't imagine them venturing too far off the script in these new films; for fear that it might go off the rails and have to be cut anyway.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The first film was still family oriented and it makes sense that the originals appear here since they have experience with this equipment and knowledge of the paranormal. This is a live action adaptation of this.

[​IMG]

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you seen the movie?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I saw Afterlife.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    Alright this looks good. I'm down.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Bustin' makes me feel good.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Afterlife was so much fun, and this is coming from a non-fan of the franchise. I'm looking forward to this, but damn, March is crowded just like last year.

Sarge likes this.
  14. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The strangest thing about this franchise: The ghostbusters are perpetually seen as frauds, even when the events of the first film would be the singular paradigm-shift of the modern world.

This goes way beyond the "Is Chief Brody crazy?" conceit of Jaws 2. New York City was literally flooded with ghosts, demons and giant Marshmellow Men, and there are actual naysayers and critics?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Bill Murray's sassy quip generating engine is about thirty years past peak. Watching the ghost of Bill Murray pretending to be Bill Murray is the worst thing about Afterlife and this trailer.

The Regular Mustache and Sarge like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    I always loved that in the second movie they're being sued by the state for damages, The Ghost Painting and Statue of Liberty parade not so much.

grd4 likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Have you seen people in real life? People will stubbornly refuse to believe in the impossible, even when it is irrefutable. If Christ came back and walked on water, you can guarantee that someone will cry foul. Peck was convinced that they gassed people into hallucinating that they saw the Destructor. And because of how dangerous the particle beams are, cameras weren't allowed to broadcast live.

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Watched both new Frozen Empire trailers twice and I'm excited, this looks like an entertaining follow up to Afterlife. Honestly, I enjoyed everything I saw in those trailers, looks like a lot of fun which is all I ask from Ghostbusters at this point.

I relistened to the original Ghostbusters soundtrack on CD recently and it was a blast, I like that collection of songs, I can see the movie when I hear them. Magic especially.
    Cleanin' Up the Town rocks.
    Dana's Theme is so pretty. Savin' the Day!
    In the Name of Love is a cool sound.

And I also finished watching Volume 1 of The Real Ghostbusters on DVD. Such a great cartoon and so creative. Most of these episodes are quite good and hold up well. Ghosts-R -US!, Killerwatt, Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood, Troll Bridge, The Boogie Man Cometh, Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream, When Halloween Was Forever, Look Homeward Ray, Take Two, Citizen Ghost, Janine's Genie, and Xmas Mark's the Spot.

TCF-1138 , Sarge and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  19. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    How could a group of hucksters stage the Marshmellow Man attack? That thing destroyed a cathedral!

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Yeah me two! I liked Afterlife but Afterlife had a feel to it like it was a film that stood on its own like more like the Goonies or Super 8 still tons of Nostalgia with less humor more Action! But this looks like a huge homage to the first films! The first teaser was alright but this was really good looking!

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    The line Mean Dumb And Horny he said it to the ghost or spirit in the first Ghostbusters movie.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Please provide the quote as I don't recall that joke.

Here's how you write a good joke with sexual innuendo:
    “That’s the bedroom, but nothing ever happened in there” – Dana Barrett
    “What a crime” – Peter Venkman

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe I'm wrong, but they could just be leaving innuendos out as the film is geared more towards families and those lines could fly over the younger audiences. Easier if the dialogue gets straight to the point.

Sarge likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Um, god, I hope not. I think Shrek is a pretty good example of where you can make a "kids" movie with some sexually suggested lines that don't insult the adult audience's intelligence while also being a fun-ny movie for kids to enjoy. It's called good writing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    Sarge and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    "Maybe he's compensating for something" ;)

Sarge, PCCViking and TiniTinyTony like this.