main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't forget the droids?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Gennosuke, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gennosuke

Gennosuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2007
    Just saw beginning of RotJ, and I'm wodnering about Luke 'giving 3po and R@ to Jabba as a goodwil gesture. 'Til now I'd thought Luke saw the two as more than just machines yet he seemes willing to asbandon them to the Hutt's not-so-tender mercies? The best answer I could come up with (and it's not a good one) Is Luke knew deep down diplomacy would fail (yet felt he had to try) and he would need to rescue them anyway.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes, did you happen to notice how it turned out? ;)

3. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    I would have to agree with that...I always thought that Luke gave Artoo and Threepio to Jabba as a means for them to infiltrate his palace to aid Luke and company later in the rescue of Han. Of course, given the inherent risk involved, perhaps Luke just took the dark side points and ordered the droids (Threepio, at least) to face the possiblity of torture and/or disintegration for the needs of the one, Han. Then again, the droids do seem to express emotion. Perhaps loyalty to Luke, the Rebellion or maybe even Han himself is what motivated them to allow themselves to be gifted to Jabba and to trust in Luke's plan.

Meditate on this, I will.[face_thinking]

4. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes. Luke used them to infiltrate Jabba's palace. Luke doesn't have his lightsaber sitting inside R2 just incase something comes up :p It was all planned.

5. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Here's what was supposed to happen:

PLAN A: Get Lando inside the palace. He can act as an insider. Similarly get the droids inside - they will have their uses. Smuggle the lightsabre inside R2 just in case it's needed. Get Leia and Chewie inside. Leia will rescue Han while Lando releases Chewie and the droids prep a speeder. Leia,Han, Lando and Chewie make their way to the garage and they all escape in a speeder. In the inevitable pursuit, Luke blasts the pursuers in his X-wing.

Where it went wrong: R2 (who was in on the plan) had a restraining bolt put on him and Leia got caught freeing Han because Boba Fett suspected that "Boushh" wasn't Boushh.

PLAN B: In the event of PLAN A failing, Luke was to come to the rescue and use Jedi mind tricks on Jabba to get the team freed.

PLAN C: In the event that PLAN B fails, use force rather than THE force i.e. the lightsaber inside R2.

PLAN D: If R2 is not nearby, grab any available weapon to hand and gun the Hutt Lord down in his own palace (ok, we're getting desperate now)

PLAN E: In the event of PLAN D failing, improvise and hope for a lucky break!

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Check out KennethMorgan's post in THIS thread... =D=

7. oo-tee-dee

oo-tee-dee Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2009
    I also agree that it seems too well planned to make sense. I mean they actually planned it all the way down to the Sarlacc pit escape? Obviously a lot of that was improvised, but Luke's cue to R2D2 suggests some planning. Even though he sent the lightsaber inside R2D2 before arriving (which is odd, but believable), I just find it hard to believe that they planned that far ahead. Then again, Luke was a Jedi.

In the end it makes sense, but you just have to step back and think about it a bit. Ideally you shouldn't have to.

8. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    Well, I hope that he wouldn't forget the droids. There's a reason that Anakin made C-3PO and Owen bought R2-D2 from a Jawa yard sale. Do you know how much a decent R2 unit and protocol droid goes for? I'm not talking about that cheap, Chinese made DroidMart crap, either...I'm talking about good quality droids. Those things aren't cheap!

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, those DroidMart droids last about 6 months, tops. [face_laugh]

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Did "Red" come from DroidMart? :p

Anyways, it was all planned out. However, the plan backfired, and Luke ended up having to come to the rescue.

11. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

12. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    Although it may seem like a sort of heartless act, it was all planned out.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm putting all in to DroidMart Corp. Their stock always goes up in recessions.

Here's the thing - Threepio obviously wasn't told about his role in the plan beforehand so Luke and the others wouldn't have to put up with his beehatching. But it seems like Artoo did know, and he probably understood and accepted the risks for both of them. Artoo's more sentient and more humane than a lot of people in the saga, and I have no trouble believing he would accept Luke's suggestion or maybe even volunteer to undertake a risky plan to break Han out because he felt it was the right thing to do. Also, he would have known Luke had his back after he gave him the lightsaber. Luke wouldn't have abandoned him with his new shiny toy inside him because you know, real, non-LightsaberMart shiny toys are pretty much impossible to replace in a recession.

14. FirBholg

FirBholg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Okay, just going from Threepio's reaction "You're playing the wrong message!", I would say that Threepio wasn't in on the plan, although Artoo was.

Luke had no intention of leaving the droids in Jabba's keeping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.