main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DON'T PANIC: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I remember when Douglas Adams passed away, and I picked up the first book, HHGTTG shortly after that. Very humorous book. Haven't read the others yet though.

2. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah the good old trilogy in four parts... Great set o' books.

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I haven't read the series in years, but I did love them. Some of the few books that could actually make me laugh out loud.

4. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Amazing books. But I think the last two (especially Mostly Harmless) seemed to be running out of steam.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I was given the books for Christmas last year (2004). Astonishingly, I hadn't actually read them through. So I did... in about three days. They're absolutely enchanting.

What's really awesome is that it's been over a year since I looked at them, and that's about as long as I like to leave a book before I can consider reading it again. So it won't be long now!!! :cool:

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    We discussed the Deep Thought excerpt in our "Meaning of Life" class in philosophy. We came to the conclusion that 42 might not be the answer :eek:

only read them twice, but bought part of the radio scripts in Stockholm earlier this...oh... last year

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Crazy books. I was LMAO whe I was reading them. :p Movie is also very cool.

8. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    I just finished "Life, the Universe, and Everything". I like to incorperate a bit of Arthur Dent into my Star Wars Uninverse. Hell, once i named my character Ford Prefect.

9. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Love those books.
    Full of little bits of philosophy - very much in line with my own world-view actually.
    A bit skewed, but ultimately, don't take any of this **** seriously.

I fell in love with them at school after I fell in love with the TV series.
    The recent film didn't compare, although Stephen Fry was a pretty inspired choice - I didn't think they'd find anyone to come close to Peter Jones as the voice of the book...

Ah - happy days...

10. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    I really liked the first four, but Mostly Harmless didn't hold my interest that much. At one point I fell asleep while reading it.

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Blasphemy! :eek:

I adore the Hitchhiker's books. :D Mostly Harmless didn't have quite the same punch that the others did, but wow, is it a great series overall. :D

12. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Mostly Harmless is a bleak book, but at least we finally get to see What Happened On Stavromula Beta. It ends off poor old Agrajag's subplot nicely, after however long it took.

I love the series. The first three are better than the last two, but there are some inspired bits in all of them. The flying party, the Perfectly Normal Beasts, Agrajag, the Jatravartids of Viltvodle VI and so on.

My favourite scene, though, has got to be in Restaurant at the End of the Universe when Zaphod meets the giant pink insect in the foyer. [face_laugh]

"Listen, friend. I am up to here with cool. I am so cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis. Now where the hell is Zarniwoop?"

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love the books [face_love] I've read some other books of his, and it's all very funny :)

14. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I love the Hitchhiker trilogy of five books. :)

The only thing that really bugs me about them is the ending. Very bleak and not terribly funny.

Has anyone read the Salmon of Doubt? It was a posthumously published book that included the latest draft Adams was working on at the time of his death. There was speculation that it could have been yet another Hitchhiker book, though now we'll never know. Still, the books is a fitting tribute to the author and a good ending to his accomplishments.

15. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    I read Salmon of Doubt a long time ago. I keep meaning to pick it back up whenever I get a chance, though. My HG2G compilation already has "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe," so I never ended up actually buying Salmon, but I may go back and do so.

I agree that Mostly Harmless is beyond most comprehension. It confused the hell out of me. :p My dad wanted to watch the HG2G movie, and wouldn't watch it until he'd read the book (an immensely reasonable choice, because whether or not you liked the movie, a discussion not meant for this forum, you don't get the jokes until you have). He only read through the first book and described it as "Dr. Seuss for grown-ups."

I think Douglas Adams and Dr. Seuss both might have been proud.

~Carr

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I saw the movie.

I got Salmon, but I'm waiting to read the rest of his books before I read it.

And I learned today that one of my teachers actually got to meet him a few months before he died!!

17. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    I've read Salmon of Doubt. I liked it a lot - Young Zaphod Plays It Safe and the actual Salmon itself were very good, but so were the bits that were just random stuff Adams wrote. :)

18. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Just got the Trilogy in Four Parts Omnibus, read it all the way through, couldn't stop laughing at any of them, and Marvin remains my favourite character, just as he was my favourite in the TV Series and Film :p

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I [face_love] Marvin. A few years ago I told my mother I was going to be him for Halloween, and she wanted to know why I wanted to be a paraniod android.

20. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    some of my favorite books, and movie

so does anyone think they will make more movies?

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Don't know. They left it open for a sequel, but I donn't think the movie did too well.

22. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    I liked the movie, but it wasn't the book, and if they did Restaurant at the End of the Universe as a movie it'd take five-star reviews to make me go see it. £7 (= US$12.30) is a lot for a mediocre movie.

23. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm currently reading "Life, the Universe and Everything." I love the books.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I loved the Hitchhiker's Guide series. The movie was very good, IMO, because it held true to the spirit of the books, such as the randomness, even if it wasn't exactly the same events as the book. They left the movie open for a sequel with the restaurant comments at the end, and even though any sequel would have to be considerably different from the book, I'd love to see them make a sequel because I think they could still hold true to that spirit.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Does anyone know if he's written anything besides the Hitchhiker books, the irk Gently books, The Meaning of Liff and The Further Meaning of Liff, and Salmon of Doubt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.