main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Dooku: Jedi Lost, a stand-alone original audio drama

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Exactly - it was originally supposed to be "Sido-Dyas", but even George thought that was a tad too obvious. :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I just read this book and i think it hints at Syfo-Dyas is the one who made order and with help of rich people, aka Palpatine and Dooku the riches mofo in the galaxy.

3. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Just out of interest, are there any particular bits you remember that hinted at this? Because I have the audio drama and it's a while since I listened to it, so I'm not certain of every detail. I don't remember the clone army being alluded to, but possibly I've just forgotten.

4. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    He is one of those who can see and predict the future and one mission with his master and Dooku they all sa what would happen like the clone war and Dooku asks if Syfo-Dyas feels this everytime he goes into a trance. Also i think Clone Wars series hints at it when Dooku mentions that Syfo-Dyas saw the future and helped Dooku. I also think in a nother book he gets a cameo appearance and mentions it.

5. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Possibly you're thinking of Darth Plagueis? There was a scene where, if I remember correctly, Plagueis, Sidious, Dooku, Qui-Gon and Sifo-Dyas all met, and Plagueis manipulated Sifo-Dyas into following through on his idea to create an army for the Republic.

6. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    No another where a character touches object and sees events such as before Syfo-Dyas dies and i think he mentions something of the order of clones. But from what is gathered and known now it seems he wasen't manipulated, bu was more involved in it then we thought.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  7. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Wasn’t that in Force Collector?

Mario
    @Korpil

8. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    yess i believe so.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I finally got to this part last night -- geez, is the entire Jedi Order completely wacked at this time? Yoda's just like "I'm gonna meditate on this" whenever anything goes wrong, except he's totally part of the problem every single time someone breaks the rules. Either they're hiding something from him because they're afraid of him, or because he makes really poor decisions and they don't have faith in him (like if Lene hadn't convinced him to trust Sifo when that one planet was about to get burned by the solar flare, there'd be a lot more dead), or he's just completely oblivious to crimes happening in his midst or willingly ignores them. He's not portrayed like a friendly nor competant guy in this book. Everyone in Dooku's class and the one after it ends up dead by weird means, lost, or locked up. Except maybe Tera Sinube's apprentice; that one seems to have disappeared from the plot.

Speaking of Lene, I really like her role in this. I've always had an issue with how Dooku went to the dark side, because it's never been explained very well. We know he lived like 7 decades being an awesome hero, and somehow he falls. Lene is sort of the catalyst for that, because she's playing with the dark side to understand it, but she doesn't go full evil. It's sort of like Uliq qel-Droma, who tried to do that but went totally insane. But it makes sense most fully-trained Jedi can handle a little dark side and not go nuts, like Lene.

Lene's problem is she subjected padawans to the same thing, and assumed they could handle it. But for Dooku it made him doubt if he was a good person, and he constantly has that doubt for the rest of his life (until he goes bad at the end). I think this is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why Dooku had problems, without laying it all on the feet of his relationship with his family (which I think the other Jedi and Yoda prefer, because they're so focused on this family love = corruption thing).

Yeah, I made that joke based on his foolish antics at the beginning of the story, but later on he literally cannot be left alone. He's a complete wreck. And aside from Lene, Dooku, and Rael, no one shows him any compassion. Yoda has more concern over how the Jedi appear in the Senate and social gatherings than what's going on with this poor Jedi who was confirmed to see the future (with legitamate proof, like on Protobranch), who he sort of just sticks with Lene because he can't be bothered with it. I'd like to blame the rest of the council, but they're all screw ups too, so maybe they're all too busy dwelling on their personal secrets to care about Sifo's fate.

Apparently it's a thing that's been around for a while: Four Masters

Dooku and others call them the "founders" a few times in the story.

Gah -- I can't find it on the Wook, but they don't have much on these guys so it might be missing. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a more dark sidey one. It probably matches the ratio of dark side dabbling Jedi throughout the order's history.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Sith connection is the four Sages of Dwartii who founded the Republic. Braata espoused the dark side as an option.

Not the four Founders.

Vialco likes this.
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah I was getting them confused.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Three four sages ended up getting surnames though in Canon so that’s curious.

13. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Has it been revealed what the founders or the dwarti was and how they relate to the republic and the jedi.

14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    As per Wook all four got full names!

Four Sages of DwartiiSistros Nevet, Faya Rodemos, Yanjon Zelmar, and Braata Danlos

While they are named as lawgivers, I am not so sure they are founders of the Republic which were far more people and cultures in Legends or in Canon. They more are the major lawgiving influencers of the system. Or first lead politicians.

The Jedi Temple Founders though, are four Masters that we know by visuals from the entrance. A Twilek female, a human male, a human female (?) and a Sephi male (unless its a giant Yoda species or misdepiction of the species heigth by the artist).

While canon dates the Four Founding Masters to 1000BBY, Legends had it at 4000BBY with the post Ossus relocation of the order to Coruscant and the newly constructed Jedi Temple there. Or rather expansion of an older one, given Crosssections backstory for the Temple and how it evolved from mountain to Jedi city to walled off Temple complex.

Makes me wonder if, for Legends we can identify some of those Masters given 4000BBY, post Exar Kun and pre-Revan we know at least some prominent Jedi. Grandmaster Nomi Sunrider for one, as well as some of her peers. Could she be said human female?

JediBatman and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Well I finished this one and I'm really impressed. This is definitely the best we could ever have expected from a much-demanded Dooku bio. The ending with Ky and Ventress is perfect.

Since Sifo completely and utterly loses his mind by the end, some years before TPM as I understand it, I understand even less how he made that order for the clones. Did he actually do it? He can barely talk intelligably at the end. I'd think Lama Su would hang up on him. And supposedly he ended up on the Council? When? This book contradicts that entirely. I almost suspect that Dooku and Sifo were talking one day, Sifo told him what was going on in his visions, and Dooku made the order in Sifo's name. That would explain a ton.

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, I don’t understand how crazy Sifo could end up on the council. My only theory is that Lene Kostana is the sole cause of his problems. He was totally fine before he became her padawan. Eventually she dies and he becomes a functioning member of society again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jedi Lost still ends at least about a decade before TPM, so there is room for Sifo to get better. IMO he seemed to be at least halfway competent by the end of the book, so it's easier for me to see him as stable enough to pass muster among the rest of the Jedi.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I agree that if we are forced to come to a resolution, we have to conclude he somehow calmed down. Daneira, I like the idea that something happened to Lene in the years just prior to TPM that may have "freed" him from his problem somewhat, although it raises a lot of questions about Lene. Still, I get the feeling we haven't seen the last of her.

The problem with resolving it, however, is that it contradicts what we're told in the story. Jenza says during the climax at the end with Dooku vs the beast: "Sifo-Dyas laughed as he saw it, his sanity fracturing forever..." We could assume Jenza was wrong. But she is telling this during the Clone Wars, so presumably she knew something of what happened to Sifo later. And more significantly, it undermines the Dooku/Sifo breaking point. The story was leading up to Sifo's brain shattering so we see him like he was in the CW TV show.

I suspect there's more going on here, and based on a few actions of characters in the story (Dooku giving Sifo his special comm at the end), there's a setup for something else. Not necessarily a sequel so much as later stories. I would bet Sifo didn't end up on the Council (if he actually did) through honest means.

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    What if Sifo broke but it lead to more a dual personality. Calm self got to the Council but in secret or when alone he cackles maniacly and is like the Joker, ordering clone armies.

Given he had visions of the wars to come and the people that play a part in it, especially the double personas of some players (Amidala/Padmé, Sidious/Palpatine, ChosenOne-Savior Anakin/Sith'ari Vader,...) it'd make sense to have him fracture and unable to put the pieces together properly but just collect himself enough to be Council presenteable and mask his fracturing to the other members of the Council.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm reasonably certain the present day scenes happen before the Clone Wars have started.

21. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm still not convinced we needed the real Sifo-Dyas to be the one who ordered the clones in the first place, even though I enjoyed him a lot as a foil for Dooku in Jedi Lost. I would say that Sifo's broken mind would make him an easy Jedi for Dooku to control ... but that still wouldn't explain him being on the Council.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015

Interesting that there were references to the other periods they where considering before settling for the High Republic.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We do we think those 4 other alternative concepts for Project Luminous in Jedi Lost were?

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Probably the Fall of the Old Republic Era.

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Pity they did not go for the Tar Vizla story and era... they are stuck with harmless Mandos baring few rogues. Well, of course there are armored warrior clans before the Mando Civil War but I wonder what Mandos in the High Republic will be like?

And given one JEDI on the artwork had a darksaber bladed lightsaber, I wonder how it relates to the true Darksaber of the Mandos.

Likewise how active are the Witches of Dathomir in the High Republic era?

So far we heard mostly of Jedi and Nihil... but all the other mainstays and constants of SW storytelling ever since TCW and Legends need to be adressed too!

Maybe bring in the Hapans in this era as an interesting concept in a new era removed from movies or their Legends fame.