main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dr.Who

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Daver, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Yeah, 8 as well. I was bizarrely proud of noticing it before the Doctor (or at least before he said it).

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Much better episode that Part 1 (mostly as there was far less River Song).

That being said, I'm mighty jealous of Matt Smith.

3. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Well it certainly wasn't, as this Guardian blogger put it, possibly the greatest Doctor Who episode ever made.

My main gripe is with the Angels. They were a brilliantly simple concept in Blink. Unfortunately, that simplicity became rather muddied over the course of this two-parter.

I also find River Song's barbed banter with the Doctor to be more annoying than anything else, and it was satisfying to see him finally lose his temper with her.

Overall, the writing was good and Matt Smith continues to look as if he was born for the role. I'm intrigued about the crack in time and its apparent connection to Amy (and the 'no ducks in a duck pond' line from the first episode is a perfect example of how to subtly hint at your myth arc, rather than just scrawling BADWOLF everywhere).

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought the second part was downright scary when Amy was trying to make her way through the forest. Great episode!

5. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    There's a theory going around that we saw a glimpse of the season finale Doctor in this episode.

If you check out this clip, when the Doctor takes Amy's hands, he suddenly has his tweed jacket on again! Could be a simple continuity error, were it not for the fact that his behaviour and tone are noticeably different. Not to mention his odd focus on whatever he told her when she was seven (which isn't mentioned again in the episode). Looks like the Doctor's jumping back through his own timeline for some reason.

Moffat's a genius.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm getting rather tired of the companion always being conveniently tied into or linked directly to the "end of the universe" senario that ends up playing out in the finale. I thought Moffatt as a great writer would try something new. Still, at least Amy doesn't have some annoying family we keep being subjected to every 2nd episode.

I think all that Time Travel made Miss Pond rather horny ;)
    I half expected a "You're trying to seduce me" line from The Doctor.

The Angels were very cool as always, although I agree that seeing them actually move was not really neccessary. The idea that they could imprint themselves into your mind is pretty creppy.

I'm wondering who it is River Song has killed. Also odd that she keeps meeting The Doctor of the past after she's met the Doctor of the future. Surely she'd meet the incarnation that came after the future Doctor (unless of course, she killed his final incarnation, then she'd only be able to meet his previous incarnations [face_thinking] )

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Spoiler tags required...

8. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Vampires in Venice: Had decent moments, but overall pretty crap (That plot was all over the place)

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's about what I thought. More of an 'alien of the week' episode, I thought. I just can't warm up to the fiancee, I'm afraid. All through the show I was thinking 'so what does she see in him?'

However, the preview of next week's show looked pretty good.

10. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Of the 2 historical episodes in Italy, I preferred the one where Karen Gillan played the Soothsayer:p

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I enjoyed the Pompeii one as well - good episode!

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Great episode. Probably one of the best starts to an episode of Dr Who ever. Amazing one liners as well. I do like Rory. Much better than Mickey and not a drip. Next weeks looks amazing.

13. Judith

Judith Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2010
    The attached dress design is for the Prom dress contest 2010. I accept the terms and conditions of this contest, and verify that the design is completely original and hand drawn. I have attached two copies, one of which is labelled. The idea behind my design is rather of an ideal storybook dress which can be described with the words magical, elegant and uniquely memorable.

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Which has what, exactly, to do with Dr Who?

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Not drippy?
    I must've been watching a different episode, I thought Rory was terribly wet.
    Amy was constantly giving him this look which said "why exactly am I with you?" and I was asking the same question.
    He's annoying, but not very annoying. He may yet improve.

The episode was good, but it did seem like a bit of a filler really. I thought the cast were good and the creatures looked decent.

LOL @ the William Hartnell library card.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not a bad episode tonight. I had the heater on in the room by the time it finished though! I definitely want to catch the repeat tomorrow on BBC3.

17. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Think that might be my favourite episode of the series thus far. Needs a second viewing.

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't know why but after the "Has he ever told you his real name" statement the first thing I thought was

Amy Pond = River Song

19. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    I've heard that theory too...people were also mentioning the handcuffs thing with both River and Amy, the 'water'-based names, something something other stuff. Don't see how it could actually ever happen though, unless Amy underwent some sort of human equivalent of a regeneration. Even accounting for age, River looks and speaks totally differently to Amy.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I think the Dream Lord was simply responding to Amy's claim that the Doctor trusted her more than anyone else by simply stating that if he did wouldn't he have told her his real name like he did with River Song. The name thing might be coincidental, or a red herring to throw people off.

I like the episode, if mainly for Toby Jones' excellent performance. I cottoned on pretty quick that they would choose the TARDIS world as the real world when I saw the Dalek window pane above the house they all came out of. That to me suggested that that world was not real (although it turned out neither of them were).

I don't like Rory much, so I was miffed they brought him back to life. But I expected that was likely to happen.

Good to see more of the TARDIS interior used. I didn't realise it had an upstairs part.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Watched it again today (thanks to my 6 yr old being obsessed with Doctor Who. Smart lad), and it really really reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode "Back to Reality"

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, it does, now that you mention it. Except there wasn't a new crew waiting to play the game.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    If only they got Timothy Spall to play the Dream Lord lol

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not too bad this week. I'm looking forward to part 2.

25. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    From the trailer, part 2 looks like it'll be quite exciting!!! (!!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.