main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dr.Who

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Daver, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Our aforementioned 6 year old is driving me mad with his blasted sonic screwdriver. It's all he plays with and I'm sick to the back teeth of the noise.

I just told him to put it away because it was annoying, and he said to me "Don't diss the sonic" [face_plain]

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Enjoyable episode, although I'd prefer if the Silurians looked more like they did before. No need to say it's a "different branch of the species" just to do a totally new design.

Look forward to part 2.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Batteries pass in time...

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    well that was rubbish ...

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought it was OK. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. I did like the part where the three of them were lying together and the Doctor was seeing what Vincent saw.

6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Easily one of the best of the season.

7. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Most of the episode I kept thinking I'd be enjoying it a lot more if I had much of an appreciation for art/art history. Thought the ending was good though. Monster-of-the-week did nothing for me. Maybe they should have been brave enough to not bother with one.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Good story, but the monster part of it was rather poor I thought. Historical episodes are fine, but this became too much of a history docu-drama and not enough sci-fi I felt at times.

Nice cameo by Bill Nighy. I liked how he and The Doctor were comparing bow ties.

Tony Curran was great as van Gogh despite his strong Scottish accent. He captured the torment and frustration well.

It had a lot of good lines and a funny piece of junk The Doctor used for spotting the bird-monster.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    That's part of the reason why I liked it so much. Sci-Fi's all well and good, but it would've been too out of place for something dealing with an issue such as depression to be all science fiction-y.

And the accent was explained in the show [face_peace].

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I liked Bill Nighy as well. He was perfect for that character.

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Hi, Dr. Who fanatics. I just got hooked. And It's getting worse each day. I used to watch reruns of the early to late 70's Dr. Who episodes when I was a kid but I ignored the reboot until last week. I started watching it now that it's in daily syndication here in Canada and I want more. Lots more! I'm still on the Christopher Eccleston episodes but I'm remembering how much I loved everything about the show.

So now that I'm watching every day I'm wondering if there are some books that I might like. Have any decent tie-in novels been written? If so which are the best and in what order should I go? How are the comics? Also, since I'm basically starting cold and know nearly nothing continuity wise is there anything I should go back to first? It seems that the new series is made for newbies and Brits who grew up with the original series but any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.:D

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Interesting episode this week. I liked it. Next week looks good!

13. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Haha! I was in the same boat when this series began! I went back and watched a lot of the last series with David Tennant, and that helped to figure out who was what and why and to a degree, when. I was noticing that they're continuing some themes (and characters) in this one, so it at least helped to get some background info. As far as I can tell, the continuity is a bit ridiculous, and even within this series things don't quite fit together--hopefully they'll tie it together well in the finale. Welcome aboard!

14. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    That was...odd. And quite tricky to follow. Stonehenge is 'broadcasting' a warning to all, and the Doctor wonders why he wasn't hearing it, then it turns out the whole point of it was to draw him to it? Doesn't that contradict itself?

It was all set up as a mystery the Doctor couldn't resist, but the Pandorica itself is based on a memory of Amy's?

Were the Daleks responsible for all of the non-time travelling villain's ability to turn up in Roman times?

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Can't wait to see how they get out of this one. I'm definitely going to catch the repeat tomorrow evening at 7pm on BBC3.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    "Stonehenge is 'broadcasting' a warning to all, and the Doctor wonders why he wasn't hearing it, then it turns out the whole point of it was to draw him to it? Doesn't that contradict itself?"

I don't think so. The Doctor is always drawn to such events. Were it obvious, he might have thought it was a trap and been more cautious.

"It was all set up as a mystery the Doctor couldn't resist, but the Pandorica itself is based on a memory of Amy's?"

Even daleks have a sense of irony :p

"Were the Daleks responsible for all of the non-time travelling villain's ability to turn up in Roman times?"

Quite possibly. It's an alliance after all.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure it really was Roman Time. The Romans themselves weren't real Romans. perhaps it was assumed by the presence of Romans that they were in Roman Time.

I don't see the Alliance lasting, with The Doctor out of the way everyone will be vying for control.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I can't see why it wouldn't be Roman time. Both the TARDIS and Song's Voretx Manipulator said it was. Occam's Razor suggests it WAS the right time, they just weren't Romans.

19. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    Interviewed on This Morning on Friday, Smith said the final episode had an important character returning.

Who?

(Who. lol)

20. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    OMEGAApparently but I neverf saw him

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    River? Tag line was once the Doctor finds out who she is everything changes..

Or perhaps the phone call at the end had something to do with it..

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Me neither. Although he could easily have changed his appearance.

Matt Smith has been excellent, a worthy successor to David Tennant. I think he will grow further into the role as he and Moffatt become more comfortable with their respective roles. Karen Gillan has also been very good.

I wonder what the Christman Special will bring..... [face_thinking]

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I wonder what the Christman Special will bring..... [face_thinking]

An Egyptian goddess rampaging through an Orient Express in space? :p

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Orient Express in space sounds like an episode of Galaxy Express 999. (pic).

25. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Well, there is still the voice in the TARDIS...still being hijacked. Was that ever explained? maybe 'appearance' was meant only loosely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.