main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Emperor on Naboo

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sbk1234, Oct 10, 2014.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Naboo was Palpatine's home planet. Of course, Palpatine served as Naboo's senator for a number of years. However, after he declared himself Emperor and the Empire took control of the galaxy, what do you think would have been his attitude toward Naboo, and how would he have dealt with them? Would they have been given special privilages and freedom, since they were his homeworld, or would he have come down harder on them since they would know more about him than any other world? Naboo never really openly opposed Palpatine, but surely he would have known about Padme's relationship with the Jedi, and her ties to Bail Organa, who helped found the Rebelion.
    Thoughts?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  3. sbk1234

Sep 21, 2014
    Interesting. I was never aware of this aspect of the EU.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I like how the Plagueis novel says that these guys, like Palpatine, were aristocrats on Naboo:

[​IMG]

5. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    It's an interesting question, and that's a weird looking group of guys in that picture.

Robert Merrill likes this.
  6. sbk1234

Sep 21, 2014
    The guy I really have a problem with is the one on the left who looks like a phallus.

cwustudent, Ghost and Seagoat like this.
  7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to Literature

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    When I went to Naboo in Galaxies, I expected to find him in the Theed Palace throne room. I had been very excited at the time. But alas, instead I found a white mustachioed Grand Admiral Declann. He looked like Hitler. Needless to say I was indeed upset and confused. I did not return.

Years later I was reading some game manual that said he could be found at some exclusive Naboo retreat. Well la-dee-dah.

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Darth Plagueis says nothing of the sort. It only mentions that Janus Greejatus was a childhood acquaintance from within the Chommel Sector (specifically Chommel Minor), not Naboo itself. The only other of those in the famous picture that is even mentioned is Sim Aloo, and then only briefly. "Tall Hat" and "Red Stripes" in the picture actually managed to go the entire "Legends" EU without ever being identified as anything other than powerful Advisors and Ruling Councilors, and Blista-Vanee never appeared in any story set before the time of Shadows of the Empire.

The Plagueis novel does have a throwaway line of Palpatine thinking to himself that he will in the future have to see to it that the nobles back on Naboo, and any records of himself, would have to be dealt with. What the Plagueis novel doesn't say, though, is even more interesting. It mentions nothing about Ars Dangor or Crueya Vandron, for example...

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    However, Kinman Doriana was one of Palpatine's most trusted aides, and he came from Naboo.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Eugh, the Emperor's retreat... don't remind me...

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

More Nightmare Fuel for you! :p
    [​IMG]

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What? The Retreat was awesome! Some of my best SWG memories are from there :p

KamSolusar likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Were you ever capable to get the shoe polish off your tongue?

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Greejatus wasn't just a childhood aquaintence. Greejatus's father was part of Cosinga's anti-alien faction and Cosinga wanted Palpatine to live with the Greejatuses.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    There's something oddly compelling about evil old Emperor Palpatine having originated from what is possibly the most verdant, beautiful planet in the movies.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

ROTS Alderaan would like a word with you...
    [​IMG]
    oh never mind [face_whistling]

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    My thoughts exactly. I wonder if GL intended that.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

The brief glimpse we get of Alderaan in Episode III is breathtaking in its own way, but I've always preferred Naboo. Maybe it's just because we got to see more of it.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wel considering that Palpatine is Naboo's senator in the very first film it's introduced... Yes, yes he did intend that. :p

Anyway, I've always been fond of Naboo ever since SWG. It was the main Imperial world, and the Italian Renaissance look helps too.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Some people have wondered why George didn't just make Naboo Alderaan, so that it would be more emotionally devastating when it gets destroyed. Unlike a lot of prequel critiques, I've always though there was a lot of merit to that idea. The fact that it was otherwise doesn't really negatively impact the prequels, but at the same I think making them the same might have positively impacted them.

That said, I don't subscribe to the idea that George Lucas is unintelligent, so I assume the idea occurred to him, and that it was a deliberate choice to make Naboo a separate planet. I suppose that decision does make the universe larger, and it does away with a lot of awkward questions about the wisdom of hiding Leia with the royal family of the very planet her mother once ruled. But it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Naboo being Alderaan would have been world shrinkage. Thank god that Naboo wasn't Alderaan.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, although it's an idea that has merit, I agree that Naboo should stay its own thing, but it still baffles me that he never used Alderaan in any significant way. A lot of II and III fanart used the McQuarrie pics since we all assumed the Bail and Obi-Wan connection would mean a chunk of time spent there ... though of course that whole plotline was left by the wayside until the tail end of III.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I think Bail Organa just ended up not being a big enough character to justify it. Obviously Lucas always could have rewritten or restructured the trilogy to include him and Alderaan in a bigger way, but for better or for worse, he didn't. I tend to agree with Lucas's larger structural choices, so I can understand how it would be difficult to fit him in. You could always say, "Well, cut down Jar Jar or whoever's screentime and put in a couple scenes with Bail and Alderaan," but I don't think it's ever that simple.

25. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    That's a bit circular since he's not big enough only because that's how GL ultimately wrote it. ANH certainly implies a deeper connection, and while this was wishful thinking, I'd pictured someone on par with Lando in terms of significance.

Bail could have been seen a bit more in AOTC and ROTS as we know them--let's say Padme and Anakin hiding on Alderaan instead of Naboo's lake country, or take out one of the Order 66 planets and put in a plains battle outside Aldera, which was actually rumored for the opening of Episode III before we knew about Coruscant--but yeah, those films already have plenty going on.

But I was positing a departure point at a much, much earlier stage of development, like Obi-Wan being assigned to Alderaan as a Jedi Watchman or as a wartime liaison to a force Bail commanded, or a Bail/Anakin/Padme love triangle, even a Bail/Padme political marriage a la TCOPL ... all of which were theorized at one point. (Along with an Obi-Wan/Anakin/Padme triangle which would have been fascinating but turned out to be 100% opposite the thrust of Episode II).