main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Soccer is like a game of chess. It’s not designed to give gratification every minute of the game and some games are quite dull. It builds and when a goal is scored it’s like something magical happened. Every goal is precious and may be talked about for years. Not like other high scoring ball sports where you have a million tries, goals touchdowns etc etc such that you become desensitised to it. When a World Cup goal is scored it’s an eruption and two or three goals in one game is like your cup runneth over.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Honestly, if we're not talking about how we need an ascendancy of kabaddi in world sports, what's the point?

Interestingly, the US is criticized for our football not having sufficient instant gratification by outside observers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I like my football being a sport first and entertainment second, thank you very much.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Yes to this. Amerisport is just one side losing slower than the other.

The main reason football is the World’s game is its accessibility. All you need is a ball, a patch of ground, and some jumpers (sweaters) for goalposts.

No Kevlar required

FatBurt, Jedi Ben and Mar17swgirl like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Puck sport > ball sports

PymParticles likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    American football only requires the ball and the ground. Basically anything can be called the endzone. A fence, a landmark of any kind, a patch of dirt, a line drawn in the sand.

lol kids don't play with pads unless it's organized. There's no helmets or cleats between friends. If it's too rough for some, or you don't want to get dirty, you play two hand touch. You get touched with two hands, you're down.

Basketball requires a ball, a hoop, and something to hang the hoop from. Poor kids make hoops out of plastic milk crates, and hang them from telephone poles, walls, or even trees.

Baseball takes a bit more doing, but even poor kids in the Caribbean play baseball. A broomstick will serve as the bat, and kids make gloves out cardboard boxes, plastic milk jugs, or whatever they can piece together.

Kids will find a way to play whatever it is they want to play.

7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Then I guess all we’re left with is they’re less interesting to the rest of the world.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Credit to North America where it is due - Ice Hockey is a dope sport.

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  9. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Fair enough. Goals are precious, for sure. That’s why that announcer, Andres Cantor does his "Gooooooooooooooool" chant for twenty minutes. Love that guy. :). I guess it’d be nice to see a little more scoring, IMO. I don’t like the offsides rules or how they are setup. To me, it should follow hockey where the first thing in the opposing zone has to be the ball…..then the attack can commence.

Accessibility is a big factor, yes. But really, most of the ball sports don’t need much to whip up a game. Hockey and golf are the tough ones.

I do really dig hockey. The game has opened up a bit over the years and the NHL playoffs are still the lost exciting thing to spectate, IMO.

gezvader28 likes this.
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what's all this yakking about kids playing sports with broomsticks ? kids aint playing sports , they're all on the x-boxes and the wees , and when they are out they're texting and twitter-facing and walking straight into me , got no respect.

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Chubby little vitamin D deficient aholes

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just like the zombie adults they learnt it from then.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I remember as a kid basically waiting for video games to be invented.

14. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Amen to that. When I was a boy we couldn’t wait to go outside and play. Hot, cold, snow, mattered not. At least my oldest daughter did play soccer for a few years and rides her bike. The youngest one though? Ugh. Going to get the mail is like an Appalachian hike for her, LOL.

Killing me with this post. Should be a sticky. [face_rofl]

15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Hey Murica, why is your pigeons throwing other pigeons under trains?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Have you not seen Goodfeathers?

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    “THAT’S IT, UNDER THE TRAIN YOU GO!”

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Lordban and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  18. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Sorry Ender and my UK brothers - but this is a funny shirt and being close to the 4th of July means I have to post it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021