main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Episode I: does it mean, to exist in the house of Scream, waiting to see nature

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thomas Heath, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2022
    I have a hunch, which is that TPM is a product which means to live inside the house of Wes Craven's Scream, wherein one waits to see nature

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

I'm going to say something so crazy, so out of the ordinary, so controversial I might have to ban myself for it: I think your hunch is wrong.

3. Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2022

I welcome the position.
    For many years now, I've had recurring instances of belief in TPM, that it is intertwined with the yellow of California, and the Sand-castle (a meta); Scream is a prototype relationship arc, with TPM, what with it set in California as well.

4. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Is Thomas Heath an A.I. bot?

I'm sure there are plenty of people that would describe Scream as being meta. It is after-all a pastiche of the horror genre whilst being an effective horror film itself. If you were to view The Phantom Menace as a parody of a Star Wars film (I don't) then a parallel could be drawn.

Artistically speaking it's a very risky approach to take. Scream's angle comes off as being educational/informative. You learn about the ingredients of the film whilst simultaneously troughing at the buffet of slasher delights. That was an astute move by Wes Craven. It doesn't patronise the audience nor does it poo poo the heritage of the genre.... Standing on the shoulder of giants, and all that.

Take it too far though and you end up with Goldmember. A parody of a parody. Mocking self regard has little appeal. It never feels celebratory, it usually just signifies a dearth of ideas.

Exception to this rule; Gremlins 2. It's knowingly brilliant.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    My god if I could fight to exist in the screams of the un-enchanted!

Tosche_Station likes this.